Singapore Expats Forum

The best party place in Singapore!

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

The best party place in Singapore!

Postby cubalibre » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:33 pm

Hey guys, I was at Cuba Libre last night & barfed my guts out at how bad it was. But as I am a director and have no scruples in trying to advertise where I an not supposed I guess I had to expect this to happen. Now I am a laughingstock as well as a dumb director who has had his account locked by the moderators. :-|

Postby TAJ » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:39 pm

A poorly disguised advert, me thinks?!

Postby Gilly » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:52 pm

Not even disguised, as he calls himself Cubalibre, location Clarke Quay.

Just makes you never wanna go, don't you think?

Postby Barczar » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:51 am

Singaporean MBA quality marketing at it's best. Please allow me to point out a few faults with your disguised advertisement here:

1. "You had the best time ever" - Are you serious? The best time you EVER had in your life was actually based around a dinner and getting drunk off sweet mojitos and dancing. That's the best time ever? I'd hate to see what would happen if you truly did something amazing with your spare time, like stare in awe of the Northern Lights, climb the pyramids in Egypt or kayak the ice fields etc etc etc...then and ONLY then would you be allowed to use a phrase like "I had the best time ever".

2. "Famous lambshank dinner that was the most succulant you ever had" I'm going out on a limb here and will guess that was probably the ONLY lamb shank you ever had if it was the most succelent, because trust me at those prices, it's not the best meat in town! Another point is if that lambshank is so famous why is this the first time I've heard of's NOT FAMOUS BECAUSE THE RESTAURANT SAYS IT IS!!

3. Mojitos "probably" the best in Singapore - I'm guess they probably are not! You also claim to have lost count of how many you had. That would explain why you wrote this are a drunk! Check any of the "Are you an Alcoholic information" If you lose count of how many drinks you had, chances are you have a problem and I'd suggest some professional help!

4. "The service was great. It didn't feel like you were in Singapore at all" That is one major arrogant statement to slag off the competition in Clark Quay by inferring the rest of Clark Quay and Singapore as having poor typical Singaporean Service. Are you trying to say that it felt like a better place than Singapore - the place where you decided to set up a business and rely on Singaporean customers? I wouldn't go around slagging them off too! Unless of course you are touting for the tourists, who OBVIOUSLY want a Non Singaporean Experience whilst they are in Singapore as a tourist?...note the flawed logic there.

5. "Now that they have 1 for 1 drinks it will be your new hangout" - I refer you to point 3 where you must have an drinking problem because you are basing your new hangout on where you can get drunkest the quickest for the cheapest...

6. Your profile says you are a Director and your organisation and website is for the Cuba Libre. Why masquerade as a customer when you OBVIOUSLY are not. You never did ANYTHING you said in your original post, it would appear that you are just another typical slimy, ignorant, arrogant, scummy advertiser trying to prey on the thick and impressionable.

I'm sure you missed the day at MBA school that taught you to know your target audience before you open your mouth and tell them what they want or need! I can promise you that I for one will NEVER visit your establishment and I would strongly encourage others reading this to do the same!

I refer you to my signature!...Salud
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Postby morton » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 1:42 pm

lolz - in fairness to the OP, I have a few things to say in his defence;

1. Maybe all the other times he had were actually worthy of the phrase "best time ever" but he was just drunk and forgot them. ("hey man, I'm so drunk I can see lights in the sky" or "man, I wish the Egyptians wouldn't put the washroom up so many stairs")

3. Maybe he lost count of how many Mojitos he had 'cause he can only count to 5.

5. He never said it was the cheapest he could get drunk. For all we know, they may be the most expensive mojitos in Singapore.

Now I'm confused. Someone I know give what I think was this place a good rap and I was going to check it out sometime but now I'm not so sure. I think I'll confirm with her that it was this place and what she thought good about it.

On the bright side, if the manager really is a drunk, it might be easy to do the reverse rip-off. "Dude, I already paid my bill - you remember?"