Singapore Expats

Tax advice

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
TAJ
Regular
Regular

Tax advice

Post by TAJ » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 9:00 pm

I'm in shock - company sending us back to the UK after 8 short months in Singapore! Regarding tax - I understand that this has to be paid before we leave (thought we would get a chance to familiarise with the 'system' over several years)
As my husband, the only earner, has been travelling on business for over 50% of our brief time here, can anyone comment on favourable tax circumstances before I sit with the 'by the books' company accountant, please? I have trawled thru the IRAS site but my brain couldn't cope!
Thx - tips appreciated!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:22 pm

It would appear that you have been here more than 183 days in 2007. If that is the case you will be taxed at resident rates which can be found here:

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/ii ... gapore.asp

If you qualify for resident rates then the rates can be found here:

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/iit/ii ... iduals.asp

With regard to your tax clearance your employer is required to withhold the last 30 days salary to help defray you tax liability. This is filed by the employer using the form IR21 and supplemental annexes if needed.

Tax Clearance for Foreign Employees

You can download the forms and instructions if you want (they are PDF files).

If your tax clearance is filed manually it can take up to 30 days for tax clearance (which mean any balance of income due you after tax payment by the employer will be held up to that point). If the employer files online you will have clearance in 14 days or less. The employer can be fined if they don't withhold the last month's salary so don't blame them.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Post by TAJ » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks SMS , your advice is really appreciated. I'll miss the forum when I leave Singapore - entertaining stuff that has kept me amused on many evenings. Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:53 pm

TAJ,

The forum can be accessed from the UK. Please do stay in touch. I'm sure you have made some friends here and a silly thing like a country's border shouldn't stop you. Plavt (another Mod) is and always has been in the UK. We are from everywhere and lots are still everywhere, not just here.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Post by TAJ » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:01 am

SMS 'we are from everywhere, not just here' sounds a little cosmic! I will certainly keep an eye on the forum from afar, but in the meantime I still have a lot of exploring to do. What would your 'must see/do before you leave Singapore' list look like, I wonder?