Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone from Melbourne?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ballerina

Anyone from Melbourne?

Postby ballerina » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:53 pm

Hi hi, I'm not Auzzie but I plan to visit Melbourne. Major attraction is fruit orchard. I don't seems to be able to find any that I can go for "pick your own fruit" orchard except this one :

http://paynesorchards.com.au/index.html

I don't even know where it is located / how to go there.

Does anyone know where I can find other such orchards nearer to Melbourne central? At least accessible by public transport like buses?

Please help. Thanks! :lol:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 8:35 am

Unfortunately you won't find any fruit orchards near Melbourne central. You can travel to Bacchus Marsh by train, but it's not close to the train station. Hire a car and enjoy the countryside. Mildura area is known for it fruit, buts on the border of Victoria and New South Wales.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:50 am

Very few orchards or fruit "farms" left near Melbourne at all, perhaps a few places in the Dandenongs, down Geelong way or on the Mornington Peninsula, but none are close to the city and definitely not within public transport distance unfortunately. It is all very seasonal as well, so availability of fruits etc will depend on when you are visiting.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 1:33 pm

when/how long do you plan to be in melbourne? the other posters are correct regarding the distances to go to pick fruit. and if i may say so, there are much more interesting things to do in melbourne! the Australian Open (tennis) is about to start. There are some lovely beaches you can go to, and if you want to get out to see some fruit, perhaps you might consider the grape variety?? There are some excellent wineries that are just over an hour or so drive from the city. I'm sure there must be bus tours that include the wineries.

ballerina

Planned visit

Postby ballerina » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:26 am

micknlea wrote:Very few orchards or fruit "farms" left near Melbourne at all, perhaps a few places in the Dandenongs, down Geelong way or on the Mornington Peninsula, but none are close to the city and definitely not within public transport distance unfortunately. It is all very seasonal as well, so availability of fruits etc will depend on when you are visiting.

Thanks, I plan to visit in early February when thare is a long holiday. Dandenongs has farms fruit farms also? Gee...it really looks like I'm not going to get to do any fruit plucking. Such a waste though...

ballerina

Biggest problem

Postby ballerina » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:31 am

Matney wrote:Unfortunately you won't find any fruit orchards near Melbourne central. You can travel to Bacchus Marsh by train, but it's not close to the train station. Hire a car and enjoy the countryside. Mildura area is known for it fruit, buts on the border of Victoria and New South Wales.

It won't be a problem at all if I could drive, unfortunately I don't drive. I wonder they have those local tour where they pick tourists up from their hotel and send them to the orchards to pick fruits... :D Hard to give up that thought!

familyof5
Chatter
Chatter

Postby familyof5 » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 6:29 am

the only fruit picking i could find was strawberry picking, in the mornington peninsula - the wineries are there too. The biggest fruit growing area (i think) in victoria is in the goulburn valley area, which is at least a 2.5 hour drive from central melbourne. So perhaps a day trip there might be pushing it, even if you were to find a bus tour operator who went there. also the drive up is pretty boring. There has been awful drought conditions in Victoria for the past few years, and you'll see acres and acres of brown!

anyway, if you are into strawberries, here you go just type "Mornington Peninsula Day Tour from Melbourne" into google. The mornington peninsula is really lovely.

Introduction:

Strawberry Picking
Visit the Mornington Peninsula - a true delight of Victoria! Set between Port Phillip Bay and Western Port Bay, the Mornington Peninsula is Melbourne's holiday playground. It boasts stunning views from Arthurs Seat summit over the bay with its long white sand beaches, the splendor of vineyards, farms, holiday homes and a quiet country lifestyle.

Highlights Include:

Spectacular views of rolling hills, pastures and vineyards
Enjoy Devonshire tea at Arthurs Seat - top of the mountain
Ashcombe Maze & Lavender Gardens - lose yourself in Australia’s oldest traditional hedge maze
Take a guided tour of the magnificent rose maze and lavender gardens
Witness and learn the extraction process of lavender oil
Enjoy a delightful two course lunch while overlooking the maze and gardens
Take in the serenity of the water gardens, bird life and the impressive rose maze
On the descent from Arthurs Seat witness spectacular views of the Mornington Peninsula and Port Phillip Bay
Beach side hamlets of Dromana and Mt Martha
Follow the coast road with wondrous views of Port Phillip Bay
Visit the picturesque seaside resort of Mornington
Perhaps a walk along the pier or simply relax on the beach
Visit T’Gallant Winery and taste some of Mornington’s finest wines (with Tour 358 Wineries Option only)
Visit Tuck’s Ridge Winery for a further tasting and inspection (with Tour 358 Wineries Option only)
Sunnyridge Strawberry Farm - Australia’s largest strawberry producer (with Tour 348 - Strawberry Experience Option only)

PLUS Summer Departure Option - (Tour Code 348)

Sunnyridge Strawberry Farm - Australia's largest strawberry producer
Wander through Strawberry Fields and pick your own luscious strawberries

Or if you want to see the sights of melbourne, you could do the following:

Aquarium
MCG
Old Melbourne Gaol
botanic gardens
I believe the Zoo is magnificent these days, second only to the one in....err....Singapore.
or you could simply wander around the city - or do an organised walk, there are some lovely parts of the city.
It can be stinking hot in February. Especially in areas like the Goulburn Valley (i used to live there). Melbourne can also get pretty hot. In fact, its stinking hot here today (41 I believe, with a hot wind to match). so you could simply chill out on one of the beaches - just a 15 min tram ride from the city.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 1:28 pm

Have a look at this website...it is the Pickyourown site and gives details (and months of opening) of several places around Victoria that have pick your own fruit etc.

http://www.pickyourown.org/australiavic.htm

It should be pretty up to date, but beware of what they suggest is Melbourne Area, as most of the places listed there are in the Dandenongs or down the peninsula and not suburban.

Hpe this helps, enjoy yourself. :D

timtams
Regular
Regular

Postby timtams » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 6:15 pm

Hi ballerina,

I'll be in Melbourne during the same period. Are you going by yourself? :)

ballerina

Wow

Postby ballerina » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:26 am

micknlea wrote:Have a look at this website...it is the Pickyourown site and gives details (and months of opening) of several places around Victoria that have pick your own fruit etc.

http://www.pickyourown.org/australiavic.htm

It should be pretty up to date, but beware of what they suggest is Melbourne Area, as most of the places listed there are in the Dandenongs or down the peninsula and not suburban.

Hpe this helps, enjoy yourself. :D

Thanks a lot! This really helps and Australia has awfully lotsa berries! Wow...wow...wow...

Aside from the one I found earlier, would this be better in terms of getting there - 69 Dann's Road, Harcourt, VIC 3453. Phone: 0409 706 784. Fax: 5474 2808??

ballerina

Gee, thanks a bunch!

Postby ballerina » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:30 am

familyof5 wrote:the only fruit picking i could find was strawberry picking, in the mornington peninsula - the wineries are there too. The biggest fruit growing area (i think) in victoria is in the goulburn valley area, which is at least a 2.5 hour drive from central melbourne. So perhaps a day trip there might be pushing it, even if you were to find a bus tour operator who went there. also the drive up is pretty boring. There has been awful drought conditions in Victoria for the past few years, and you'll see acres and acres of brown!

anyway, if you are into strawberries, here you go just type "Mornington Peninsula Day Tour from Melbourne" into google. The mornington peninsula is really lovely.

Thanks again for the suggestion :) I do plan to go to Mornington Peninsula but didn't know they have fruit farms there. Oh well, all because my mom saw it on TV that people are picking fruits and she wants to do that too!

Really appreciate the whole lotsa info ;)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sat, 12 Jan 2008 3:47 pm

Harcourt is in Central Victoria, not too far away from Bendigo, but still a long way out from Melbourne (over 100km). The Peninsula may be better for you, I'm a bit partial but it's my fave part of Melbourne...have fun!

ballerina

Thank you so much!

Postby ballerina » Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:23 pm

Hi guys / gals,

I just came back from Melbourne last Friday and I have to say that it's an absolutely wonderful place and they have very friendly people. It's almost like a heaven on earth!

I did the city tour on the trams (very clean & prompt in schedule), went to Phillip Island, tried Puffing Billy, pan for gold (ended up buying it instead!), went along the Great Ocean Road and of course, brought my mom to Bacchus Marsh for fruit picking. Jenny & Graham from the Payne's Orchard was really nice people who offered great hospitality!

So wanted to get to know more Australians in Singapore & know more about the country & the people there :)

I have loads of pictures, if anyone is interested to see, just email me for the link jlllam@hotmail.com

Thanks everyone! Highly recommended place to visit!!