Singapore Expats Forum

Cheapest ways to live in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 1:39 am

I learnt something new from the article -

If you are low income, you can *rent* a hdb flat (ie regular monthly rent), as opposed to forking out the money for 99 years worth of rent in the form of a bank loan.

I would have thought that an advanced country like Singapore would want to loosen the thumb-screws off society and let everyone just pay a monthly rent to hdb rather than in-debt everyone (a virtual economic "slavery", if you will, as people are in debt over something they will never own)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:14 am

Splatted wrote:I learnt something new from the article -

If you are low income, you can *rent* a hdb flat (ie regular monthly rent), as opposed to forking out the money for 99 years worth of rent in the form of a bank loan.

This has been around for quite a while. However, it is only available to Singaporean Citizens and these are 2 room flats. They are extremely cheap and not very well kept up. Additionally, the restrictions on obtaining one are severe. I've actually got a brother-in-law who is staying in one.

The people who would be eligible to stay in them would not be able to even afford an internet connection let alone a computer.

Yeah, the 99 year lease thingy is a joke. Why the public allows themselves to be hoodwinked into believing the "Own" their flats is beyond me. Course if the Government did as you suggest then they couldn't go around the world proclaiming that 94% of all Singaporeans are "home owners". :roll:

Eze
Regular
Regular

Postby Eze » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 3:20 pm

Why not spend the time and effort used to save this bits and pieces of money

on

looking for options to increase your own income??

p.s. Just a "thinking rich thought vs thinking poor thought" comment. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 4:18 pm

Eze wrote:Why not spend the time and effort used to save this bits and pieces of money

on

looking for options to increase your own income??

p.s. Just a "thinking rich thought vs thinking poor thought" comment. :)

:???:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 5:00 pm

Ooh there's some not nice things going on here.... oh I get sad when I see this...please children play nicely and maybe just ignore stuff (or remove it) but don't upset people. Yeah there's a song about this " ........ all we are saying- is 'give peace a chance'. :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 6:11 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, somehow the realities of life and the amount of garbage that Plavt, JP, SE and myself have to delete every day here would boggle the minds of some of our readers. And needless to say, I'm all to human as well, I get tired of all the subterfuge used by some of our posters trying to circumvent the boards policies. :oops:

I know you guys do a lot of work that we don't get to see, and I for one appreciate all the effort. You have to check all the forums regularly, make quick judgments on which posts are out of line, and still have to put up with the criticisms that moderators get. I wouldn't do the job even if they paid me, so kudos to you. And for that, I think the least the rest of us could do, especially me, is cut you some slack when you aren't exactly chirping with joy all the time. So thanks, and sorry.

:console: :kiss:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 6:29 pm

ozchick wrote:Ooh there's some not nice things going on here.... oh I get sad when I see this...please children play nicely and maybe just ignore stuff (or remove it) but don't upset people. Yeah there's a song about this " ........ all we are saying- is 'give peace a chance'. :-|

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 6:47 pm

Splatted wrote:I learnt something new from the article -

I would have thought that an advanced country like Singapore would want to loosen the thumb-screws off society and let everyone just pay a monthly rent to hdb rather than in-debt everyone (a virtual economic "slavery", if you will, as people are in debt over something they will never own)
:oops: splatted you lead me astray, off topic!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:22 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ozchick wrote:Ooh there's some not nice things going on here.... oh I get sad when I see this...please children play nicely and maybe just ignore stuff (or remove it) but don't upset people. Yeah there's a song about this " ........ all we are saying- is 'give peace a chance'. :-|

Ah yeah....same dog, different tree ! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'