Singapore Expats Forum

Cheapest ways to live in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

tamarind

Cheapest ways to live in Singapore

Postby tamarind » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 5:47 pm

I have written this guide for both Singaporeans and foreigners, for those who want to know the cheapest options of accomodation, transport, food, medical, kids education, etc.

http://www.helium.com/tm/772761/always- ... -singapore

Please feel free to comment.

I would say it is a bit too simplistic and naive for one, and secondly it is geared for locals and not this site. I'll leave it up for the time being but any more references to said site in other posts will begin to look like advertising or link spamming....... moderator

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:40 pm

does people still goto JB for food shopping these days?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:57 pm

yes

tamarind

Postby tamarind » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 6:31 am

For all your information, I am a mommy of 2 who manage a household and buy food and groceries from local supermarket every week. If you think this is simplistic and naive, then you know very little about how to live in Singapore.

There are many families in Singapore surviving on a household income of $2000 or less.

Do me a favour and remove this thread, since all the foreigners here are too rich to bother.

Remove my account too. I am not going to bother coming here any more.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 7:07 am

Some people really know how to spit the dummy out eh?? :wink:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 7:54 am

tamarind wrote:For all your information, I am a mommy of 2 who manage a household and buy food and groceries from local supermarket every week. If you think this is simplistic and naive, then you know very little about how to live in Singapore.

There are many families in Singapore surviving on a household income of $2000 or less.

Do me a favour and remove this thread, since all the foreigners here are too rich to bother.

Remove my account too. I am not going to bother coming here any more.

:wave:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 8:03 am

hello?? i just asked the question if people still goto JB to do food shopping and sms answered yes. so what's that got to do for being rich or foreigners?

and the reason why i asked is to find out if going to JB is false economy. everyone in the world need to manage a household, buy food every week, etc. so why would i be native and know very little about how to live in singapore?

and yes, i have read your article. generally, people everywhere will complain about something that is more expensive or cheap. i mean, picture this; chicken rice in singapore S$3.00. in malaysia about RM$2.50. in HK about HK$25. in UK about £5.00. finance analyst would use the McD big mac meal to measure how cheap or expensive a country is. a McD big mac meal is a big mac meal so in theory it should be roughly the same price worldwide, but it is not.

some poor people live the rich life, and some rich people live the poor life.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 8:57 am

I think my mum had a serious chip on her shoulder too and it did not do me any favours....shame for her two kids eh

travellingcircus

Postby travellingcircus » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:56 pm

it doesnt look too simplistic to me. instead of disregarding it why not add things that you think are missing?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:46 pm

travellingcircus,

because we don't do link spammers or clowns here.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:14 pm

I think Tamarind has some useful information in there and some foreign readers of this site could be on a limited budget, so I don't share the mod's views necessarily.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 2:08 pm

GC,

You are always welcome to your views and I welcome them all even when you don't agree with me! :P

However, as her contribution to that site is only a couple of paragraphs, she could have just as easily posted the information here and the same thing you are saying could have been accomplished. However, she was only doing a link spam and got nipped in the bud. That's why she left in a huff as it was all to obvious. (one doesn't register just to paste a link to another site).

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 9:25 pm

Good ol' GC, always ready with a kind word. I found the site useful too. For the first time I realised that all other things being equal, life is more expensive for women because we have an extra expense item - sanitary napkins! I found that amusing. Plus the fact that breastfeeding is free. I always thought people did it for health reasons. So yes, I learnt something.

SMS, I dream of a world where people are NICE to each other. Guess that makes me naive and simplistic too. :-({|=

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:32 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:SMS, I dream of a world where people are NICE to each other. Guess that makes me naive and simplistic too. :-({|=

I do to. Unfortunately, somehow the realities of life and the amount of garbage that Plavt, JP, SE and myself have to delete every day here would boggle the minds of some of our readers. And needless to say, I'm all to human as well, I get tired of all the subterfuge used by some of our posters trying to circumvent the boards policies. :oops:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Plavt, JP, SE and myself have to delete every day here would boggle the minds of some of our readers.

Not only the day, there's a good deal of thrash of a very offensive nature that often appears during the Singapore night, if not, not infrequently there are some avid spammers around.