Singapore Expats Forum

Recovering from World of Warcraft

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Recovering from World of Warcraft

Postby phil30k » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:48 pm

I've stopped now for 2 weeks.

I also realized something.

It has come as a surprising discovery to me that my laziness could also be my best defence against acquiring bad habits.

(Those WOW gamecards sellers are really hard to locate)

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Re: Recovering from World of Warcraft

Postby phil30k » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 3:09 pm

Okay now I'm just embarrassed that I put this up.

Some secrets were never meant to be told.

*sigh*

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 8:52 am

LOL I have just started playign for the first time.

Very good game.

Looking forward to AOC. :cool:
Be Like Water

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 9:31 am

Are you married/attached, Phil? I can guarantee that one way of kicking the habit is to have your wife ban you from playing it any more, "or else".

signed,

A wife :D

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:12 am

At first I played the game to pass time.

For some reason I thought it was better then watching TV. I don't remember exactly why I thought that.

Something to do with "at the very least I'm still interacting with people" or "it's the latest technology and I'm not technophobic" or "this can't be any less productive then watching TV 5 hours a day" or "at least it'll keep me from spending money in the bars on the weekends".

At the time I was spiralling downwards into alcoholism and it stopped my drinking but I was simply replacing one addiction with another.

When I started playing world of warcraft I noticed being drunk affected my gameplay. So I stopped drinking so I could play better. I remember going through withdrawal while playing and thinking it was the adrenaline rush... and going... "oooh... cool!"

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:43 am

Bafana wrote:LOL I have just started playign for the first time.

Very good game.

Looking forward to AOC. :cool:

I enjoyed the game at first too.

As much as I'd like to believe it was something else that allowed me to quit the game, ultimately it was because despite being as addictive as the product was designed to be, Singaporean players suffer hugely from ingame latencies and lag that detract immensely from the game beyond a certain level of expertise.

If I were living in the states and had a good connection, I don't think I'd have been able to give the game up as easily... and it wasn't easy.