Singapore Expats Forum

Help - my $1500 buggy has just been stolen from Katong S/C

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 7:02 pm

Cameras in Singapore for security purposes can be set up on your own property to film areas on your property.

Cameras set up by the Government can film in any public areas.

In a strata titled properties you can set up cameras to film common areas and shop fronts. That includes people going in and out of the shops as well as in car parks and elevators.

If you wish to film on another person's property, eg shooting a commercial etc, you'd need the permission of the owner of the property.

Licenses for these sorts of security cameras are not required.

If someone enters your property, you're not required to inform them that they are being filmed. The film may be used in a court of law as evidence.

Certain locations cannot be filmed, eg toilet stalls or changing room or other such locations where to do so would be intruding on that person's "modesty".

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Jan 2008 8:26 pm

So if's PHil's premise is correct, then my initial answer to ksl was for all intents and purposes correct as well as his laundry is in a common area as opposed to someone else's property.

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 8:40 pm

sms - just as an fyi, the phil and teds is a double pushchair, ie it is for two kids. obviously you haven't been into a kids store lately, but doubles aren't cheap, especially in singapore where it is fully imported and costs $1500. obviously you can get it cheaper in places like australia. i am sure you are a great person but sometimes i wish you'd think about some of the things you write and go light on the judgement.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 8:47 pm

mules wrote:sms - just as an fyi, the phil and teds is a double pushchair, ie it is for two kids. obviously you haven't been into a kids store lately, but doubles aren't cheap, especially in singapore where it is fully imported and costs $1500. obviously you can get it cheaper in places like australia. i am sure you are a great person but sometimes i wish you'd think about some of the things you write and go light on the judgement.

Amen!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:57 pm

My Iron Horse Mountain Bike isn't cheap either. I don't leave it setting unlocked on the curb while I run into the 7-Eleven to buy a soft drink. I know better to tempt people. Guess that's the difference in already having raised two kids to adulthood. I don't need to go into a store to know that something costs money. She already told us it did. That's what so hard to fathom..........especially after already having one stolen earlier in the same month. Sorry, but I think both of you are out of order. :roll:

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 8:36 am

Out of order? Why exactly is that? I too, find your posts a bit preachy at times. If they want to spend $1,500 on a stroller, that's their business. If you didn't want to -- then bully for you. That's all. Different strokes and all that kind of thing, and besides its really not germane, is it?*

*not sure if you were referring to me as one of the 'both'. If not please ignore.

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 4:18 pm

my comment wasn't about whether it was left outside, but rather....

"I can't believe someone would pay $1500 for a pushchair in the first place unless they were planning on having at least a half dozen children"

also, most places in singapore these days - shops, clinics, childcare centres, libraries, etc will not let you bring a pushchair into the premises as they are too bulky and block the passage of people. also they are a fire hazard if they are near exit and entry points. let alone the bulk of a double stroller.

so, yes do i have some sympathy for the lady trying to get around singapore with no car and two young children and getting to the doctors clinic. let alone manoeuvring her 'exorbitant' pushchair along the uneven and narrow streets. she deserved to have it stolen right and walk all the way home with two young children in her arms.....lets hope she learnt her lesson.

batgirl_cdn
Regular
Regular

Postby batgirl_cdn » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 9:58 pm

I just spent a lot of money on a Stokke Xplory because it will be an excellent buggy for getting around Singapore. I could give a rats backside if anyone thinks it is stupid to pay a lot for a buggy. When you buy a cheap buggy you get what you pay for - speaking from experience and friends experience. Im sure that people can manage their own finances and as adults decide what is worth spending money on. I wonder if you are so judgemental about people who spend a lot on holidays, restaurants and booze and perhaps even expensive clothing, accessories or electronic gadgets... Sheesh!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:10 pm

I will say one thing, people will do anything to deflect stupidity when it jumps up in their face. Who care how much one paid for the buggy.

THE point was that she had a cheaper buggy stolen from her porch earlier the same month and then she goes out and buys a more expensive one and leaves it unattended as well! In a shopping centre no less!

It would seem that most of the posters here think this is okay and this kind of learning curve is normal? Most of the threads on this board has been on how to reduce and get the lightest, etc, etc in order to navigate around Singapore in the easiest way. My whole point is what good is spending so much money if one doesn't learn from their mistakes. I hope she just learns a lesson as it has taken two time already in less than 4 weeks. It's like throwing good money after bad.

mules,

my comment on the cost of a pushchair is a personal opinion to which I am entitled to. However my comment on leaving the chair outside unattended is a direct reply to her actions. This was the topic at hand. Someone could spend 5 grand on one but leaving it unattended will still get the same response. I wouldn't leave a 300 dollar chair unattended for any length of time. I do believe most of the chairs are collapsible aren't they? Even less reason to leave it unattended.

Nevermind, I'm finished here. She can give away a couple more if she has a mind to. It's her money. Just remember "Low Crime doesn't mean No Crime". A Subatex user doesn't care what it is if it will turn a buck. Reality Bites! Sympathy and a Buck will only get you a cup of coffee.

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 2:16 am

sms - too true, too true, everyone is entitled to an opinion. i do not dispute. however, when one makes strong comments on issues to which they do not have recent relevant experience, it smacks of judgement.
i'll pull out of the debate in the interest of more rewarding things to do. you win.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 9:24 am

mules wrote:sms - too true, too true, everyone is entitled to an opinion. i do not dispute. however, when one makes strong comments on issues to which they do not have recent relevant experience, it smacks of judgement.
i'll pull out of the debate in the interest of more rewarding things to do. you win.

Sorry, but I just had to answer this one. I raised my two children from birth here before the country considered the disabled as human beings. The 5' ways were one 2' wide. 85% of the buses were not airconditioned. There was not an MRT at all and there weren't big taxi's like today. Babies are much the same though both in size and in needs. Singapore is extremely child friendly today compared to 1983~84. There are even nursing stations in a lot of the shopping centres now. So I would say you just stuck your foot in it again.

Bye :wave:

mules
Regular
Regular

Postby mules » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:31 am

bored much?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 17 Jan 2008 8:30 pm

Now now children...

I can understand why SMS comes across as blunt (he is!) yet at the same time, I have to agree that between (a) sympathising with the OP and cursing moral-less thieves, and (b) pointing out that the smart thing to do is stop leaving your belongings unattended, that (b) will help the OP more.

That's my piece, I've said it. So please leave me out of the fight! :D