Singapore Expats Forum

Any Japanese gals or guys around for advice ?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

subarugal22

Any Japanese gals or guys around for advice ?

Postby subarugal22 » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:44 am

Hi there, i am a SG gal. Who is quite interested in picking up additional language in Jap. But as i do not have any strong background on the language, except simple greeting which learn from a private class.

Now i am trying to locate a school in sg which is good enough to be able to teach me converse and writing.
Does anyone know of any good place ?
Is there anything i should look out for ?
Should i chose a sg lecturer or a native jap lecturer ? tks

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 1:41 pm

As a start try the book 'Colloquial Japanese' by H.D.B. Clarke and Motoko Hamamura and published by Routledge, whether or not you go to a class you will find it a help.

Learn hiragana and katakana first; they function like an alphabet and are easy to learn. Using the kanji will take some time and practice.

Do feel free to PM me should you need to know more (although you will need to have made 5 posts before your PM function will work)

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Any Japanese gals or guys around for advice ?

Postby EADG » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 6:47 pm

you should start out by never, ever, using the term "Jap" because it is an offensive and derogatory term whether it's used in reference to the people, language, or food

it amazes me how often I hear it used here in Singapore, and see it used casually in places like IS magazine

using this is a blatant display of ignorance

subarugal22 wrote:Hi there, i am a SG gal. Who is quite interested in picking up additional language in Jap. But as i do not have any strong background on the language, except simple greeting which learn from a private class.

Now i am trying to locate a school in sg which is good enough to be able to teach me converse and writing.
Does anyone know of any good place ?
Is there anything i should look out for ?
Should i chose a sg lecturer or a native jap lecturer ? tks

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 7:38 pm

EADG wrote:you should start out by never, ever, using the term "Jap" because it is an offensive and derogatory term whether it's used in reference to the people, language, or food

EADG has a point and the term is listed in the Oxford dictionary as racist although I realize most people don't mean any harm it seems we are to willing to use acronyms rather than the full description. Maybe this is the influence of sms (no not the fat bald one :P )? Take a good look at the airline thread to see what I mean. :?

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 27 Dec 2007 7:57 pm

actually......in this case it was being used as an abbreviation

the acronym "JAP" also exists where I come from, and oddly enough it is not actually a pejorative nor about anything Japanese

agree with Plavt that it is used innocently/in ignorance, but now that everyone knows they won't say it anymore, right?

Plavt wrote:
EADG wrote:you should start out by never, ever, using the term "Jap" because it is an offensive and derogatory term whether it's used in reference to the people, language, or food

EADG has a point and the term is listed in the Oxford dictionary as racist although I realize most people don't mean any harm it seems we are to willing to use acronyms rather than the full description.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 28 Dec 2007 7:09 pm

pikey been made a racist word as well recently :P