Singapore Expats Forum

Auld Lang Syne and all that

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Auld Lang Syne and all that

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:27 pm

So the New Year is almost here. Anyone still in the habit of making resolutions? I've been thinking what mine should be for next year and maybe everyone thinking aloud here will help some of us form ours.

For 2007 I had three:
1. Be punctual for all appointments
2. Read one book a week
3. Stop using plastic and bring my own re-usable bag and mug.

I'm proud to say I nailed (1) and (3). Kept up with (2) till mid-year when a few thick tomes held me back and I stopped keeping track, but at least the habit is already there and I've never read so much in my life!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:31 pm

Good job WIMH!

I'm in the category of not making any because I'm pretty bad at keeping them for the most part. :roll:
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:23 pm

Well, 3 years ago I jump started my 2005 resolution 16 days early and quit smoking (successfully to this day I might add).

Another biggie coming up beginning first week of January. I will be losing 25% of my body weight by 30 April. I am going to shed 50 pounds (23 Kg) in 12 to 16 weeks. Time to turn back the clock about 10 years!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 7:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Time to turn back the clock about 10 years!

Oh Yeah.................the clock I can believe. :devil: :devil: :devil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 11:59 am

That's okay Plavt, I won't reveal "your" waistline numbers! But it's 4 inches larger than mine.

I plan on going back down to as 33" waist like I had when I was still diving commercially. That's will result in a good 7 inch reduction for me!

:o :devil: :P

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Postby drusilla » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 1:05 pm

i guess losing weight has always been a resolution for me!! although i'm not fat, i don't ever seem to be thin enough to look good in a bikini!!

another one would be cooking more often for my dog... he'd be pleased!! and i have already started on this one... ;)

last but not least, would be spending more time with my family i guess... 2 years after leaving home, i finally feel that i miss them at times... :cry:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 2:42 pm

drusilla wrote:another one would be cooking more often for my dog... he'd be pleased!! and i have already started on this one... ;)

He might be pleased, but you are not doing his health any favours. He would be much better off with a good diet of proper dog food as it's be fortified with what a dog needs. Their dietary requirements are not the same as that for a huiman. Do you dog a favour. Buy a good brand of both dry "dor" food and moist "dog" food.

Oh, if you are going to reply with "my dog won't eat dog food" don't bother as that is pure BS. When a dog gets hungry enough he will eat it. I used to raise corgi's (cardigan's) many years ago and believe me, you are going to cause your dog health problem eventually.

Make a good new year's resolution to feed you dog properly and exercise him regularly daily at least once a day.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 2:45 pm

Losing weight always a resolution? :?

If it's to be a resolution then you need resolve otherwise it's just wishful thinking. :wink:

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Postby drusilla » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 3:20 pm

how did u read my mind about a balanced diet in dog food?? and i agree with u that dogs not eating dog food is absolute BS and thats what i keep telling my dad... :roll:

but what i meant was adding the cooked food to his dog food... and as treats, not as his main diet... but thanks for your advice anyway... :D

btw, he's a happy somewhat healthy almost 13 year old toy poodle, on both wet/ dry food, anapril for his heart, some cooked food and exercises twice a day... :wink:

as for the vanity issue... sigh... what shall i say.. i don't really need to lose weight per se although i really hope to shed a few kilos... :roll: i have a healthy BMI of 21 (i think thats within the normal range, pls correct me if i'm wrong...) but what i really hope to see is definition... so i guess bad choice of words...

so my resolution should be toning/ shaping up instead~~ :wink:
which i had also already started, after a month break from the gym and simply pigging out at restaurants with friends!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 3:36 pm

good on ya! I haven't seen a BMI of 21 for 20 years I guess. I'm now officially obese at 31. Hence my resolute resolution. The commitment has been made the program paid for and Jan 1 beckons! By 30 April I'll only be 75% of the man I am now! :o :cool:

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Postby drusilla » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 3:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:good on ya! I haven't seen a BMI of 21 for 20 years I guess. I'm now officially obese at 31. Hence my resolute resolution. The commitment has been made the program paid for and Jan 1 beckons! By 30 April I'll only be 75% of the man I am now! :o :cool:

hmm... i wish you luck.. . and do share with us your progress.. takes a lot of determination and will power to lose weight really... i was my heaviest at BMI of 25 but that was a year and a half ago... :P

but program being paid for, that would be a good motivation... :wink: if not for the weight/ health/ vanity... at least make the $$ worth it!! :lol:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 4:12 pm

SMS, that's an ambitious goal. Makes my aim to lose 6 kg seem peanuts in comparison. This rainy weather isn't helping since i haven't jogged for over a month.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 4:44 pm

It's a done thing. I've already reached my target in my mind so the rest is easy-peasy.

It's all mind over matter. It's just like when I quit smoking 3 years ago. I smoked for 37 years and on 14 Dec 2004 I decided I didn't want to smoke anymore so I laid them down. Haven't picked one up since. However, due to the return of my appetite, I went on a 'SEE'Food diet and ate everything I saw and gained an additional 12 kg in the process! :(

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 5:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's all mind over matter.

So you're a secret Secret believer! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 5:12 pm

Good try, but not quite! :P What I have is not and never has been a secret. I believe in myself. That's why I'm agnostic as well. Everybody knows about it but are just too lazy or too little will power or "it's just too much trouble (what I did for the past couple of years even knowing I was piling on the weight). I finally decided to lose it. Pure and simple.