Singapore Expats Forum

Suggest me to get relief from stress!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Michael78

Postby Michael78 » Wed, 06 Feb 2008 5:49 pm

Please note that you are under stress & may need professional help.Kindly remember these points-
1.Stress is part of life,you should learn to control it.
2.Develop Positive Mental Attitude& Positive Thoughts.
3.Develop self-control& self-confidence.
4Self-suggestions-Say -'I can handle any situation with confidence.'I can control the stress.'
5.Better planning.& time management will reduce your stress.
6.Change your Attitude& life style Enjoy your job& life.Good luck to you.

ocd888

Postby ocd888 » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:11 am

Hi all,

I'm new here, I'm under tons of stress, I thought quitting my job would help, but it didn't. Now I have no job, relationship is rocky... not sure what to do, except jumping of a cliff.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 12:58 pm

Get on a cheap flight and go to some poor village in Somalia, and live in a hut with dead and dying family and see how they cope with rape and murder. Then squat down and explain to mother of the starving kid that you feel you have really drawn the short straw and your life is really tough.

astro_girl86

Postby astro_girl86 » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 1:39 pm

QRM wrote:Get on a cheap flight and go to some poor village in Somalia, and live in a hut with dead and dying family and see how they cope with rape and murder. Then squat down and explain to mother of the starving kid that you feel you have really drawn the short straw and your life is really tough.

oh wow.. i like this one. its like a tight slap on my face. thx for waking me up!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 2:11 pm

Stress Kills! and is also an involuntary action of the body defence system! The dizzy spells suggest a lack of oxygenated blood to the brain, and possible other organs too.

Depending on your age, depends how sever the arteries are narrowed too, so over 45 i would suggest scanning every 5 years or so.

Continued high blood pressure is a sure way to damage the artery walls, so one needs to reduce the pressure asap, and the only way is a visit to your doctor for Beta Blockers a change of life style may also help!

http://www.medicinenet.com/beta_blockers/article.htm

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 2:13 pm

ocd888 wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here, I'm under tons of stress, I thought quitting my job would help, but it didn't. Now I have no job, relationship is rocky... not sure what to do, except jumping of a cliff.
Don't do that, it only makes a mess for other people to clean up, rather a selfish way to go! Think of the stress you cause other people, that have to deal with you! Go to your doctor and get help!

Also take QRM advice, think of others a lot worse than yourself for a change, not always easy, but you have to deal with it, let off steam, go and thrash it out with a punch bag!

No job, go and offer yourself free to a charitable organisation, until you can figure out what to do, with your life, no money, find a soup kitchen like the other poor buggars, but don't steal! Not good for the karma

Melasony

Postby Melasony » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 8:04 pm

sex helps?
lol ok, on a more serious note,
try to get a break from work, 2,3 days off and just spend sometime by yourself, that might help?
Men generally need their alone time ( at least that's what guys tell me ) and when you get swarmed by people / criticism it becomes frustrating and your head messes up.

or if you're short on time and need a quick short term solution.
buy some aroma therapy oil,
when you get home, turn off all your electronic devices like tv, phones for 2 hours ( especially before bed ).
either put it in your bath or use a burner and let the scent surround you, lie down and just enjoy the silence.
I find extremely useful to prepare a person for a hectic day ahead.

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Health Retreats

Postby carolynW » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 1:13 am

Here is something I think is worth trying out, we go once a year, its better than a beach holiday...

1.) google, the golden door in brisbane (not the one on the beach, nor the one in hunter valley), they don't advertise, its 90% booked, you need to book ahead and people generally even extend their stay.

You need to go for a min of 5 days, its like summer camp for adults, you get checked for fitness, everyday your body gets three main things, excercise, good food (all organic) and rest (there is no TV).

A typical day is wake up to sunrise taichi, walk based on your fitness level, stretch, breakfast, then you can start choosing fm 2 or 3 activities, ranging from yoga to water aerobics. There is usually a talk at 10 about healthy cooking or stress management or you know something you would not learn otherwise like making your breathing more efficient thru Feldenkrais.

Then lunch, then spa then one more session of exercise or if you want you can correct your swim strokes or take priv tennis or yoga lessons. Dinner, sometimes a talk, sometimes just drumming or music or someone from the area to talk about flora and fauna, early bed and this starts again.

The first 3 days, those who have never detoxed before will be cursing me. By day 4 you will never have felt so good because you are giving your body what it needs, proper food, exercise and rest. The last time I was there, 5 years ago, the cost was about A$1,000 for the 5 days.

For those who want to go on to the next level and deal with your head stuff (childhood, some one who died or just your own baggage), there is Camp Eden also in brisbane, very good counselors, on top of good food, exercise, they do alot of group and individual therapy to deal with your inner self.

After that for those who want to try other inward looking stuff there is Esalen in California. Another good one for marriage or life stuff is near cape town (for those who want to get in a safari or throw in the towel and do the shark dive without a cage).

Once we are settled in Asia we'll do the brisbane ones again and somehow try to go back at least annually.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Health Retreats

Postby local lad » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 4:43 pm

carolynW wrote:Here is something I think is worth trying out, we go once a year, its better than a beach holiday...

1.) google, the golden door in brisbane (not the one on the beach, nor the one in hunter valley), they don't advertise, its 90% booked, you need to book ahead and people generally even extend their stay.

You need to go for a min of 5 days, its like summer camp for adults, you get checked for fitness, everyday your body gets three main things, excercise, good food (all organic) and rest (there is no TV).

I don't think this will help. You never know when stress will happen. Furthermore, knowing that it is 90% full ( I assume it always has ) frustrates more , creating more stress. Usually, to relief stress is to find a immediate remedy when stress surfaced.

mulffett
Regular
Regular

Postby mulffett » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 6:02 pm

You need to get laid

hk203
Regular
Regular

Postby hk203 » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 2:49 pm

The initial message was posted in Dec last year...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 5:42 pm

Sooooo??? :roll:

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 4:58 pm

vodkalove wrote:Spend a Sunday, just plain existing. Don't do anything other than sleeping, eating and maybe surfing the net - but don't check the emails!

And if you smoke, get yourself in your room, and smoke away.

It works for me all the time.

Gotta tell you - Days like that with no human contact make me feel particularly depressed!

carolynW
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carolynW » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 2:50 am

Well the Golden Door and Camp Eden are suggestions for a holiday that would make a difference and to me its like an investment as opposed to a cure, learning to manage stress holistically, you know the food you eat, the sufficient exercise and rest and living in the present, will contribute to overall better well being.

The mind stuff and living in the present is alot harder to do. Will be trying Osho and other places like Esalen to compare.

danialgoh
Regular
Regular

Postby danialgoh » Sat, 03 Jan 2009 6:44 pm

Go to your friendly Doctor and take a few days of MC.