Singapore Expats Forum

Suggest me to get relief from stress!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

arnold33

Suggest me to get relief from stress!

Postby arnold33 » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 1:49 am

I am the Marketing Head of an FMCG company and for over a few weeks, I have been feeling dizziness, anxiety, and a dreadful sense of doom which I feel is a result of over exertion. After a recent fight at work with my boss during a marketing campaign the situation, became severe. Stress is destroying my life. I don’t know what to do. Please suggest.
Thanks!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 2:16 am

English lessons

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Suggest me to get relief from stress!

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 2:17 am

arnold33 wrote:I am the Marketing Head of an FMCG company and for over a few weeks, I have been feeling dizziness, anxiety, and a dreadful sense of doom which I feel is a result of over exertion. After a recent fight at work with my boss during a marketing campaign the situation, became severe. Stress is destroying my life. I don’t know what to do. Please suggest.
Thanks!

Hang on i'll get my violin!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 2:52 am

Sounds like you need a good long holiday.

Eze
Regular
Regular

Postby Eze » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 3:25 am

dear arnold,

please get some help.

There are alot of articles online about stress management. you shld read some of them to get a better understanding on it.
e.g.
http://www.medicinenet.com/stress_manag ... rticle.htm

Stress is caused by life events (major or minor) and whether you have enough resources such as financial or social support to cope with the events.

Do find a good frd to chat over it, jus to let it all out. =D

Hugx

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:48 pm

Arnold - I feel for you.

I went through a period earlier this year where I was under a lot of stress although I didn't suffer from the dizziness and nausea. Nevertheless, it robbed me of valuable sleep and my appetite and I was mentally exhausted and filled with angst and frustrated.

I took a long holiday to get away from things and did a little soul searching during my time away. I sought some relief and comfort from trusted friends and members of my family by talking things out so I could see the situation from their perspective. I did things just for me when I was away. What I mean here is that I put myself first for a change above everything and everyone else.

Lastly, do engage in a physical activity such as yoga etc to work off some of that stress. I really hope some of this is helpful to you and that you find a balance of sort to manage the stress. Keep well Arnold. :)
One man's meat is another's poison.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:24 pm

arnold33 wrote:I am the Marketing Head of an FMCG company and for over a few weeks, I have been feeling dizziness, anxiety, and a dreadful sense of doom which I feel is a result of over exertion. After a recent fight at work with my boss during a marketing campaign the situation, became severe. Stress is destroying my life. I don’t know what to do. Please suggest.
Thanks!

Panic Anxiety ( or intrinsic depression?) Very likely....and apologies on behalf of certain posters who drink yucky stuff and then say yucky things and WISH they could play the violin !
Now, exercise is a must for the stressed soul. Swim, walk/run etc but first see a doctor before you have a heart-attack ! If you're a real busy, stressed-out person then it's quite possible that you've been surviving on adrenalin ! That's no way to live...hug from Oz.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

phil30k
Regular
Regular

Postby phil30k » Mon, 07 Jan 2008 12:07 pm

Dear Arnold,

That definitely sounds like stress.

I agree with the other posters about exercise. Also with finding someone to talk to (whether a professional or a friend). Also about taking a holiday. However, I'm assuming that you don't have time for all these right now.

Here's what I do.

What helps me is, after work, to spend some time writing down the tasks I have to do the next day.

I'd review these tasks first thing in the morning the next day.

In between, I'd forget all about these things, confident that I wouldn't miss doing them because I had noted them down.

It is a ritual that helps me unwind at the end of the day and also allowed me to get some distance so I could revisit them later with a fresh mind.

It also stops things from preying on my mind that may keep me from getting a good night's rest.

It also give me practice, from writing things down in point form, to pick out the main issues.

I hope that this is helpful.

NCD22

Simple things...

Postby NCD22 » Fri, 11 Jan 2008 4:04 pm

Arnold,

Whenever I get super stressed it is the simple things that help calm you down. After work, rather than drive or take the metro or a taxi home, walk. Get outside and breathe some fresh air. By the time you get home (or get out at a stop before or something, just so you walk for at least a good 30 mins) you will have done some light exercise and have had time to cool down from the stresses at the office. Then when you get home you will be ready to relax and let it slide until the next day rather than showing up in the same agitated state that you left the office in.

In line with the above, do you work out? It is clinically proven that the more physical activity you do the higher the levels of seratonin in your system. Seratonin=happy! Are you sleeping enough? Exercise helps with that too and sleep is critical to mental health and stability, i.e. happiness and less feelings of impending doom...

Another option is to talk to a psychiatrist and see if some mild anti-anxiety medication is in order, although, I don't condone treating the symptoms and not the root cause of the problem...

Last option, Bali isn't too far away...take a few days and leave your worries behind...(bring a surfboard!)
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

twilight85

How to Relieve Stress?

Postby twilight85 » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 5:10 pm

Hello - i empathize with you totally.

I am stressed in another way - with my situation at work and my slightly unreasonable boss. It made me slightly haywire for a while - i started quarelling alot with my boyfriend, it made me cry, life was terrible.

how i destressed:
1) Exercise - i went for long runs. I never thought i had that much stamina! But i did. I could run for hours on end. I joined a marathon too - 21km - and ran ran ran.

2) Yoga - i went for yoga lessons - it really did calm myself down

3) Massage - went for massages as the stress tensed my muscles till i was aching ALL over!

3) Change your attitude: Work is work - after work, toss everything out of the wind! It is more bearable as after work you will not think of work anymore. If not, your whole day is about work and you'd go crazy thinking!

4) Support from freinds and family - it helps to know they are always there to comfort you, to share advice etc. Do not vent your frustrations on them, instead seek comfort in them.

5) If life is unbearable, work is not worth it to lose everything over. speak with your boss and leave the company.

can check out this portal http://www.beverly.sg - this article givs some tips as well on busting stress...

http://beverly.sg/editors-choice/5-ways-to-combat-stress/

I wish you well!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 8:54 pm

I wish Arnold would log on and tell us how he's doing. Haven't heard a squeak or anything since he first posted.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:29 pm

Ditto GC. I also wonder what happened to tinydancer who was on here a while ago and suicidal. Sure hope they are all ok.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 16 Jan 2008 5:09 am

Gosh you're right. She was really in pain and I hope to God she's feeling better.

vodkalove

Postby vodkalove » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 9:13 pm

Spend a Sunday, just plain existing. Don't do anything other than sleeping, eating and maybe surfing the net - but don't check the emails!

And if you smoke, get yourself in your room, and smoke away.

It works for me all the time.

noeltanwh

Postby noeltanwh » Sun, 27 Jan 2008 5:16 pm

well bro, its gd to have friends to chat with..
anyway , my phone is 93396842
when you need a listening hear, feel free to msg, i am glad to offer my hears

That's good. But remember, please do not advertise in the Forum threads. Your other post has been deleted. Use the Classified Sections to advertise any rental property available. It's Free and it's not in violation of forum policy.