Singapore Expats Forum

Problem with Being Fashionable in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kabuki

Problem with Being Fashionable in Singapore

Postby Kabuki » Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:36 am

The Weather is just so damn hot and humid. I will be moving to singapore Jan 12th and i need a way for my clothes to stop from molding. I currently own many pairs of designer jeans from my denim collection hobby and the prices of the denim are ranging from 120usd-600usd and it will be a shame if all my jeans went moldy because of the stupid weather. Any tips on how to keep my clothes in good condition in this weather?

Or else ill be forced to leave my nice designer clothes in the states....wut a shame...

time

Postby time » Fri, 21 Dec 2007 8:50 am

You can wear them here. Everyone wears jeans here and if you did, they wouldn't go mouldy.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 21 Dec 2007 9:41 am

Kabuki, if you define 'fashionable' as wearing jeans, you must be American! Welcome to Singapore anyway. :P

I wonder if the reason so many posters have mould problems is because people keep the windows closed and aircons on most of the time, so there is no air circulation? Singapore's air is humid but as long as it's circulating it's ok.

The alternative is to seal out the moist air. I used to pack my winter clothes into suitcases which was as close to a vacuum storage as I could get and left them there for years and they were fine.

If someone could invent an anti-mould spray for clothes that person could make a lot of money!

ps: Wow, the site admins are fast! Just saw a blinking ad for de-humidifiers at the bottom of this page. They're onto you guys! :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:09 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Kabuki, if you define 'fashionable' as wearing jeans, you must be American! Welcome to Singapore anyway. :P

From where I see it, fashionable enough for me! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zTGcEL_aoMk

Eze
Regular
Regular

Postby Eze » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 3:43 am

ummm... im not sure if im sharing or im advertising.

but anyway, theres this shop i know that sells some popular brands from mostly EU.

http://www.actually.com.sg/

p.s. to moderators, please delete this if its considered an advertisment~~

:twisted:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 9:08 am

Eze wrote:ummm... im not sure if im sharing or im advertising.

but anyway, theres this shop i know that sells some popular brands from mostly EU.

http://www.actually.com.sg/

p.s. to moderators, please delete this if its considered an advertisment~~

:twisted:

Eze,

We don't delete recommendations. We do delete advertising for personal gain. Big difference. We are here to help each other, not help ourselves. :wink:

Eze
Regular
Regular

Postby Eze » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 4:55 pm

:D
cos its only a fine line in btw~~

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Dec 2007 6:46 pm

Eze wrote::D
cos its only a fine line in btw~~

No it's not a fine line at all. If you have interest in a business and you recommend it here using false pretense and we find out about it you will have your account locked.

Occasionally we will let one go if it not too blatant but when they get greedy and post again in another thread advertising the same shop then wham! Normally all advertisers, given enough rope will eventually find themselves hung...... :-|

The only way to legally advertise is to put a single hyperlink in your signature (like ksl and a few other do). We have graciously allowed that but all others must go into the classifieds section.

Kabuki

Postby Kabuki » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 3:07 am

the only brands i wear from ur site r ksubi, AG and Denim Design. The usual bands i wear r true religion, evisu, diesel and Dior Homme

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Sun, 23 Dec 2007 9:21 am

Well, my leather stuff went mouldy and I had to take it to the professional drycleaners every so often. They recommend airing and wearing the clothings regularly (I am not wearing leather jacket and skirts in this weather!) and putting humidifer crystals (it's called Hippo, can be bought in supermarkets) in the wardrobe.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 25 Dec 2007 6:51 am

Jeans are an American creation, except for the unfortunate tight designer jeans trend of the late 70s, jeans are more of a tradition there than fashion. The rest of the world made jeans fashionable by adopting them.

Wind In My Hair wrote:Kabuki, if you define 'fashionable' as wearing jeans, you must be American!

Kabuki, you will find that the words "fashion" and "Singapore" when used together become an oxymoron.

You can get those vacuum bags to seal those clothes you don't wear often - I just took out my sealed cold-weather clothes and there was no mold or musty smell.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:37 am

EADG, Merry Xmas.

I posted this exact same thing a week or so ago here about using Vacuum Bags. It would seem common sense doesn't
prevail here. Course we both already knew that! :wink:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 25 Dec 2007 10:21 pm

thanks SMS, and a Merry Christmas to you, and yours, too

you're probably just finishing up while we're just getting started

hope yours is/was nice, we've got 31-45-degree weather here

my sister's place looks like the toy department at Macys