Singapore Expats Forum

How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

madura
Chatter
Chatter

Postby madura » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 3:57 pm

omarbinhendi: Why are you asking this question over here?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jan 2008 5:27 pm

madura wrote:omarbinhendi: Why are you asking this question over here?

Good question! :???:

I guess he would do better asking camels in the Dubai desert? Or should he go to London to ask question about Singapore? How about Cape Town South Africa? Would these places be better to find out information about Singapore? :o

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Postby ksl » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 1:33 am

omarbinhendi wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
omarbinhendi wrote:Actually I work for Dubai World, a GOPO. I have been to Sing. many time, as business & as leisure too. This time we are gonna visit Singapore as a Global Learning Journey for 3 days.

Will our answers be more or less relavent once we determine which division of Dubai World you work for? ;)

As a holding company -Dubai World- it is more of a service oriented corporation which the state of Dubai own the biggest share of't.

Nevertheless, I work for the Economic Zones World and more specifically "Jafza" the Jebel Ali Free Zone operator.

To be more generic, I hope your answers don't narrow to jsut the part of DW I work for, since the horizon that I need to compare to is as broad as it is for Singapore. Surely there might be few resemblanses or common areas where both states are the same at, but I need all reasons that helped Singapore to thrive.

I need to compare to is as broad as it is for Singapore. Surely there might be few resemblanses or common areas where both states are the same at, but I need all reasons that helped Singapore to thrive

Hi, I find the topic very interesting indeed.

Having read all the threads, I find phil30k' comes in closest to my opinion, although, there is much behind the curtain of politics, we will never get to know.

I was part of the British contingency in Singapore back, when it was needed, and I was also working for the Trucial Oman Scouts UAE in 1969. based in Sharjah
I have studied business and believe that I can shed some light on the success...of Singapore and the differences.

Hopefully without causing any discomfort to the locals...of which most, would not understand, that Singapore could never have thrived, without the trading connections of the British Empire, of which, believe it or not, are still in control today through major trading connections, Singaporeans refer to them as the multinationals, although the American influence of fast food creeps in, they would never be able to take over the trading role, of London, through Singapore.

One must remember these business links are built up since the 1800's and the Empire days and not in the last 50 years. Even though Singapore was taken by the Japanese..the UK rule on trading.

So Singapore as thrived, because of the British connections and even to this day...if the connections were cut.....Singapores revenue......well say no more!

Behind the curtain politics, of cleaning up Singapore back in the late 60's
is very unique, but SMS covered it pretty well, the only thing not covered, is how does one get rid of all the gangs, that exsisted.

I can only say, what i would need to do in the same situation, and that would be, to bring all the leaders of any importance onto my side of the fence, where serious crimes, could be wiped out over night....I still recall collecting my unit wages from the banks, in armoured cars...becuase of bank hijacking....and every gold shop, had armed guards outside, in those days.

Dubai is the most liberialised Country in the Middle East and has also come along way, since 1969, I actually remeber the long drive through the desert down to Abu Dhabi, and getting stuck in the sand storms, how I ever managed to recover the vehicle from sinking sand, was a survival task I had to use on a number of occasions..along with stripping the petrol filter down, Cooked an egg on the outside of the vehicle too!

I don't believe one can compare, the two governments, from a cultural point of view, the Chinese are very different, although we can all learn from each other, which is the most positive contribution to peace and prosperity...

I believe i met the Sheikh Maktoum bin (CENSORED) Al Maktoum, while he was studying in Lancaster, UK many years ago, although I maybe wrong, but it was one of the family, he would have been in his mid 20's in 1978 I guess!

The diversity of the population is simular in nature, although in Singapore, there will always be the underlying, resentment, that the Chinese rule, I guess, that is to be expected when over 70% of the population is Chinese...

The government have done their job, they have built something, yet many are discontented, because they feel cheated, left out and have no representaion, because of the politics.....But lets be honest here, politics leave alot to be desired in all Countries.

And if I was to compare with the UK, I would take Singapore anytime...I don't agree, with what SMS says, that Singapore is at risk....and I believe if the curtain was to be pulled back in politics, we would see what really does go on...

Transparency is lacking as much here in Singapore as in the UK, although like Dubai too, there is still the historical connections to the UK, behind the curtains, that we the public never get to see.

From a business perspective, it wouldn't surprise me, if the UK wasn't behind the arrangement of bringing the Middle East and Singapore to the table for discussions on trade...the UK stands for 400 years of free trading, and even though the Empire appears to have disolved, the UK is pulling many strings, behind the curtain, believe me...all is not what it seems...the WTO is just as politically represented in all that goes on.

Singapores service sector employs around 75% of the female population and 66% male back in 2002, this report is from 2002, but gives an idea of whats going on

http://www.iseas.edu.sg/rahulconfp1.pdf

For the size of the UK, it stands 5th on the export ladder in the world, within Singapore, I would bet, it is number one, for turning revenue from Singapore...Although Singaporeans, believe it is their business...that have the upper hand, although I guess this comes, with growing up too quickly, with an adopted parent.

http://www.cid.harvard.edu/cidtrade/gov/ukgov.html

I think its a very very important disclosure for me to point out, that Singapore no matter what anyone wishes to believe, is a HUB and shouldn't really be thought of as a Country....not only for Finance and merchantising, but for the manufacturing too, because one can not always run to the cheapest labour market, when quality is essential...Singapore does have a high skilled work force, that takes on tasks, that China and India do not, and we have also seen movements of trade and manufacturing from Taiwan to Singapore because of skilled manpower, economical and infrastructure benefits of which. have been very well planned for the purpose of the HUB.....

In my opinion it would be a worl wide disaster if politics interupted the HUB's main function, of trading.....there would be far too much bickering, so the curtain can remain closed for all I care...

Singapore should be proud of what they have, they have helped build it, but if the experts are too withdraw, the Country would collapse over night! One may as well just face facts, its not the peoples ball park....I don't believe anyone is allowed to interfer with progress on the scale of Singapore....

I also believe the government know damned well, they couldn't rely on many of their citizens in time of war too, because the bonds are not really that strong, if everyone is running off, to give birth in other Countries..although the world does know the value of Singapore, so I cannot for the life of me see, why everyone is worried about National Service... Just my opinion.

I could dig out more statistics to prove my point, because I have actually seen the figures many years ago on who actually exports the most through Singapore to all other Countries, why may one ask!

The practice is commonplace in Singapore. Singapore companies are taxed at a rate of 22% on income originating in Singapore; foreign income, on the other hand, is not taxed at all.

http://www.offshore-fox.com/offshore-co ... _0412.html

Not sure if this is still the case! Although I will be testing it out in the future hopefully!

All this is just my own opinion by the way, because I always want to know whats behind the curtain, and behind Singapores is a HUB....not a country!

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 7:49 pm

Singapore as a system?

All a matter of perspective I guess: A Bangladeshi working here to feed his family back at home will give you a different answer from a European expat on a 2 year mission here, whose story once again will differ from a diehard LKY fan and native Singaporean, whose views again will be contrary to those here suffering, such as cabdrivers or other blue collar Singaporean workers.

But all in all the above may give an indication of this country and how it works as a system: A MNC like ruled citystate, authoritarian to the bone and without any colours, other than its races.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 9:45 pm

Well look who's back! Hi guy! :wave:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:22 pm

Gosh, one would think you two were best friends! :P

All we need next is for SG to say something NICE! [-o<

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:24 pm

SG, you're right to some degree that different perspectives may shape our viewpoints and take on Singapore as a system. However I'm sorry to say this, but yours always seems to be permanently disgruntled and negative based on most of your posts. :roll:
One man's meat is another's poison.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 6:36 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for welcoming me once again... :wink:

A positive note on Singapore then: I do miss the food culture: the coffeeshops with the aunties and uncles, slurping their laksa with their legs crossed. I really do miss that ambience.

I do miss the convenience of Singapore: being able to live more spontaneously like saying at 2am: let's go for a nice supper at lau pa sat or let's go buy some stuff at Mustafa.

But I believe op here was more looking for a general point of view about Singapore as a society.So therefore my grumpy reaction. :twisted:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 13 Jan 2008 9:35 pm

Global Citizen wrote:SG, you're right to some degree that different perspectives may shape our viewpoints and take on Singapore as a system. However I'm sorry to say this, but yours always seems to be permanently disgruntled and negative based on most of your posts. :roll:

Oh don't worry about his view - says nothing about Singapore. His views on Europe, US etc are equally negative, from what I've seen. You know what they say: if the whole world smells like sh*t... :wink:

SG, thanks for the effort to say something nice. You see, you can do it if you really try. Good boy! =D>