Singapore Expats Forum

How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

omarbinhendi

How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Postby omarbinhendi » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:40 pm

Hello guys. I am quite new in this forum yet I feel am in the right place to have the expert insights & views whether it is from Singaporeans or Xpats living there.

To cut it short, I am a Dubaian (from Dubai, UAE) and studying in Wharton Business School of Penn. PA, USA. Actually I work for Dubai World, a GOPO. I have been to Sing. many time, as business & as leisure too. This time we are gonna visit Singapore as a Global Learning Journey for 3 days.

There are few areas to research and benchmark over there. Now, I need your opinions and views. How does Singapore system work?

The Economy, people, races, culture, religions, Politics, infrastructure, pension, everything. How do things integrate together? How could Sing. build itself as a hub in about 60 years?

Is the system ERROR-intolerant? How are decisions taken? If a mistake takes place, how is the one @ fault get punished? What is the development process? How do the youngs deal with the elderlies?

I would be thankful to those who will share their views with me and perhaps when am there next Jan. I will meet with them :wink:
Last edited by omarbinhendi on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 9:38 pm

Races ? You mean ethnic don't you..mm not sure abou that...but other 'races'e.g. like getting from A to B..well they don't exist....nobody hurries here....only me...yep all alone...but I'm gonna have to stop it cos they all make me crazy with their 'go-slow' tactics- yep Singaporeans '10', Ozchick '0'.

Now re the rest of your post, I'm absolutely certain that someone on here who's lived here long enough will know all about how the SYSTEM works..mm..unless they think like I do- "with sheer good luck" !
Be patient, ther are a few posters on holidays now- isn't that right guys ?
Seems pretty quiet round here....
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

omarbinhendi

Postby omarbinhendi » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 2:43 am

ozchick wrote:Races ? You mean ethnic don't you..

... yes I do. I mean ethnic groups. I read in the news that original Malay in KL, Malaysia are disturbing the national security and this happining there, so how is it in Sing?

...after all, I'll wait since all are on holiday :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 9:30 am

omarbinhendi wrote:
ozchick wrote:Races ? You mean ethnic don't you..

... yes I do. I mean ethnic groups. I read in the news that original Malay in KL, Malaysia are disturbing the national security and this happining there, so how is it in Sing?

...after all, I'll wait since all are on holiday :)

Not any problems at all. If you get out of hand, the government locks you up using ISA (Internal Securities Act) and throws away the key. You have no rights, access to lawyers are banned, you are caned daily and you have to give up all rights to family visitations and you lose all right to your first born unless it's a girl. If it's a girl they will take the 2nd born or whichever is a boy. If you have no children then they will cane you twice daily for not following government policy to have more children as well. Additionally, all contact with the outside world is forbidden and you are never heard of again. Things stay rather peaceful here.......

Course this is all

with the exception that Singapore does also have the ISA and will use it if necessary. However, most of the minorities have been subdued for years now and only rarely do they make any noise. A rather submissive lot that has had the spunk bred out of them over the years. They actually know they are better off here than in some of our neighbouring countries hence the docility. :wink:

omarbinhendi

Postby omarbinhendi » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:36 am

sundaymorningstaple

... I am learning...

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:33 am

In the early sixties, when there were tensions between Indonesea and Malaya (just transitioning into Malaysia) and the Malaysian federation was being implemented with and then without Singapore - I lived for 3 years in Malaya (Malacca) and my parents visited Singapore. When I moved here 2 1/2 years ago, they came back for the first time and they were overwhelmed by the changes that had taken place and the way that the country had evolved. It was really interesting to talk to them, especially when compared to the changes (comparatively very few) that had taken place over the same period in their home town in the UK. I sometimes think we lose sight of the tremendous improvements in quality of life/lifestyle/standard of living etc.. that the country has produced. I found a great source of information was Lee Kuan Yew's biographies - You do not have to totally believe in all the views, but his philosophy was dominant in Singapore's politics and economy for many years and to some extent still is. That would be my suggestion as a start point and when you get to Singapore, you will have no trouble finding them.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:46 am

omarbinhendi wrote:Actually I work for Dubai World, a GOPO. I have been to Sing. many time, as business & as leisure too. This time we are gonna visit Singapore as a Global Learning Journey for 3 days.

Will our answers be more or less relavent once we determine which division of Dubai World you work for? ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 1:39 pm

omarbinhendi

Re: How does Singapore work as SYSTEM?

Postby omarbinhendi » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 2:05 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
omarbinhendi wrote:Actually I work for Dubai World, a GOPO. I have been to Sing. many time, as business & as leisure too. This time we are gonna visit Singapore as a Global Learning Journey for 3 days.

Will our answers be more or less relavent once we determine which division of Dubai World you work for? ;)

As a holding company -Dubai World- it is more of a service oriented corporation which the state of Dubai own the biggest share of't.

Nevertheless, I work for the Economic Zones World and more specifically "Jafza" the Jebel Ali Free Zone operator.

To be more generic, I hope your answers don't narrow to jsut the part of DW I work for, since the horizon that I need to compare to is as broad as it is for Singapore. Surely there might be few resemblanses or common areas where both states are the same at, but I need all reasons that helped Singapore to thrive.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 2:34 pm

On the surface there doesn't seem to be any similarities. Singapore is a multi-racial country where yours is controlled solely by VISA/Work Permits. Singapore has three primary ethnic races which are part and parcel to the country. The UAE doesn't have this problem.

Natural resources. Singapore's only natural resources is a good harbour and it's people. There are no natural resources like oil to fuel the economy. Having said that, it's the government think tanks that deemed the refining of oil due to Singapore's proximity to the major shipping lanes would work in Singapore's favour. Singapore's central location also lends itself to being a tourist hub for the entire region, hence the efforts that have been put into Changi Airport and Singapore Airlines. There is lots to see in the region and travel is relatively safe. Most of the regions countries are multi-religious but try to separate the religion from the government so there is little danger for tourists (so far) Sure there has been troubles in certain areas but at least the foreigners are not confined to Camps or Zones.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 4:02 pm

I suppose i can see how you would compare Jafza to Singapore given the infrastructure and to some extend "Free Trade" part.

I think other than that, SMS is pretty much sorted that the differences may far outweigh any similarities however.......

Singapore has three primary ethnic races which are part and parcel to the country. The UAE doesn't have this problem.

..... not sure i would say this is a "problem" exactly.

Singapore thrived because people were prepared to work and the government, to a certain extent, gave the populous what was needed; a job and a place to live. Whilst that quite simplistic i believe problems in most other countries stem from the inability to provide on or other of the above. Of course there are other things like medical, transportation and education but generally these follow from providing the first two and growing in partnership with the population.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 4:10 pm

Very bad choice of words. My apologies, as that isn't what was intended. :oops!:

omarbinhendi

Postby omarbinhendi » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 5:10 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:...
Singapore thrived because people were prepared to work ...

People of various ethnic groups? What common objective made them submissive to the system? I know that Singapore is no place to dawdle and live with no job. People go there for serious job/career and business and as it is attractive hub it does work for those who have got the cash.

Now, the dilemma, is it a hub or gateway and what it would want to position itself in the coming decade or two?

How does Singapore relate to HK in terms of location and trade zone/hub?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 5:53 pm

There's a book reccomended to me called 'The Singapore Dilemma' (with focus on the socio-economic marginality of the Singapore Malay community). It may be too specific for your research-purposes but in case you want it, it's by Lily Zubaidah Rahim. You'll need a dictionary and patience to really get into it....I've been on page 3 for the last 8 weeks...mm....

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 5:55 pm

Oop- spell-check ! Recommended...mm...that looks better... :)