Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Humidity - Cry to help!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 29 Dec 2007 2:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are not in msn. You are on a an English speaking and reading expatriate website. You are not on a local website populated with lians & bengs. While here, try to act like you have some intelligence. Otherwise you will be just ignored due to the perceived lack of intelligence. Give it a try. Just because you friends do it doesn't make it right. It just makes all of them look stupid and not worthy of any respect.

Agreed, this is the problem with a good many of our 'friends' in the Airline thread, perhaps if they listened it might actually occur to them why they never get selected since many have been posting here as long as I have. :roll:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 29 Dec 2007 6:57 pm

what does being young have to do with anything? many people use abbreviations when typing SMS messages and in chat

the point you and those who do this are missing is, when you do this SMS-speak all of the time it shows that you do not have the ability or maybe the intelligence to communicate normally

it's like Singlish - it's good that there is a local flair to language, almost every region has one - all over the UK and US and Australia there are distinct variations in English

it's important that Singapore has their own local version of English

some people can only speak & write Singlish and they sound like morons - do you really want people to think you are a moron?

young people are supposed to be smarter than the generations they come after, this shows the opposite and that the trend is reversing

08weixiang12 wrote:LOL...okok..i will try to change..but i usually type like this in msn..mayb cause we ar younger generation..my fren can understand wut im typing..but anyway..i will try to change. :D

08weixiang12

Postby 08weixiang12 » Sat, 29 Dec 2007 9:32 pm

nah..the world iz now changing everyday!!
i'm tired of working...b0ring. . .

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:08 pm

EADG wrote: all over the UK and US and Australia there are distinct variations in English

Not really, I think you mean dialects and a few local expressions but I wold imagine these to be dying out now and the young getting to be as lazy and as complacent as those in Singapore, at leas that's how it seems

I agree with everything else you are saying though.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:41 pm

I stand corrected, dialects and accents are more of what I was referring to, but as to them dying out, I think New Yorkers and Texans and the like will continue to sound very different

Plavt wrote:
EADG wrote: all over the UK and US and Australia there are distinct variations in English

Not really, I think you mean dialects and a few local expressions but I wold imagine these to be dying out now and the young getting to be as lazy and as complacent as those in Singapore, at leas that's how it seems

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 30 Dec 2007 1:23 am

08weixiang12 wrote:nah..the world iz now changing everyday!!

You are correct. The world is changing. Gone are the days when a person with minimal education and skills could expect to get a good blue collar job that would buy a modest house and raise a family in a decent style of living.

Now, the lines between the "haves" and "have nots" are becoming far more clear. Skilled blue collar jobs are disappearing, either to countries with lower labor costs or to automation.

Those with education (and I am talking about university level education) are the "haves". They occupy the positions of power. They make the most money. They have the most influence over their own destiny and that of others.

The "have nots" are at the mercy of the economy and globalization. They compete with each other for low paying jobs, the only ones they can get, further driving down what the salaries. They struggle from month to month to make ends meet and will never have enough money to do the things they might really want to do.

Not surprisingly, the "haves", the educated also possess good communications skills. In our world of technology, it is not only the ability to create that is important, it is also the ability to communicate, to explain, to convince. Those who cannot do so are at a distinct disadvantage.

So yes, you are correct; the world is changing and it is leaving you behind. Your failure to practice (and keep practicing) good language skills will mean you are doomed. You will not be able to reach for the top.

The advice given to you by others is sound: If you ever hope to earn a great rate of pay, have some measure of security and control over your life, then you simply must recognize that there is no more important skill than to be able to communicate effectively, both written and orally. It takes a lifetime of practice to become really good and you sell yourself short when you post/write/speak gibberish "short hand" instead of improving your skills.

If you choose not to do so, then you will have plenty of company as the majority of people never make the conscious decision to propel themselves into a succesful career and life. So, sure... all your buddies and friends who speak and write as you do will be right next to you, making $10 an hour.

pollyminaz

Postby pollyminaz » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:49 am

i don't agree with you, SMS. As long as those 'words' are limited to sms-es, and msn, they all have a chance of making it big.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 1:06 am

pollyminaz wrote:i don't agree with you, SMS. As long as those 'words' are limited to sms-es, and msn, they all have a chance of making it big.

Sms languages is only good for communication between friends and individuals who know each other and their private terminology. Make it big? I haven't got a clue what you mean! :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 9:32 am

pollyminaz wrote:i don't agree with you, SMS. As long as those 'words' are limited to sms-es, and msn, they all have a chance of making it big.

"making it big"? Only in Singapore. But that's not likely to happen either as they cannot even agree on short forms either. Therein lies one of the problems.

None of us here are putting it down when used in a place limited by the amount of text area. What we are on about is when unlimited space and a full keyboard are one's disposal, then there is no reason for not using the language and spellings as they are meant to be. So called shorted English has been around for decades but it has always been used in situations where is was called for and not for public consumption. It was called Shorthand. There were and still are courtroom arounds who still use shorthand typewriters as these are extremely fast when the court stenographer is taking down the transcripts of the trial. When finished these are then transcribed in to comprehensible English that everybody can use.

There is enough problems trying to understand the emotions in a given paragraph of written prose without having to try to figure out what was written as well what was said. It is obvious that those who use that language on a forum as opposed to using sms texting on a phone, it that they are either lazy, or illiterate and no longer can use proper English (if they ever could). I would have to agree 100% with SE on this one. Due to the prevalence of email & texting using shortened bastardized English and grammar, it is almost impossible to find local administrative help now who can actually type a business letter. If you cannot express yourself in a manner that other's can understand, to use your vernacular "Then how?"

As Barczar so aptly puts in his signature here: "If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!"

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Postby drusilla » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 3:01 pm

i used to think singlish was fun to use with friends and to tease some of my expat friends when they don't understand us.. but after seeing / hearing how most youngsters can only communicate in this fashion makes me almost ashamed to know it!! and makes one wonders what are the teachers doing?? it just gives others a very bad impression... :roll:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 31 Dec 2007 10:03 pm

drusilla wrote:i used to think singlish was fun to use with friends and to tease some of my expat friends when they don't understand us.. but after seeing / hearing how most youngsters can only communicate in this fashion makes me almost ashamed to know it!! and makes one wonders what are the teachers doing?? it just gives others a very bad impression... :roll:

The teachers are speaking Singlish themselves and teaching it to the kids under the guise of English, which is the tragedy. Some English teachers are really good, of course, but there are many who aren't.

Drusilla, Singlish is nothing to be ashamed of. I like and use it myself. What we should be ashamed of is the low competence in proper English.