Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Humidity - Cry to help!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cherrygeng

Singapore Humidity - Cry to help!!

Postby cherrygeng » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

I moved to Singapore two months ago, and recently the rain has started and I have had some nasty surprises in my closet! I have brought some of my winter clothes and put them in the closet. About two weeks ago, I started to discover that they have all turned MOULDY!!!. It is really quite scary as my winter shoes, suits, jackets have patches of green hair growing on them!!! Even a bag I bought from Thailand, made of dried straws, now have a sheet of green hair!!!

Since then, I have bought these dehumidifier boxes (They are supposed to absorb the moisture) and put them in the closet. But I doubt this is enough... Does anyone have any other advice for me as what to do??? I would normally wash them and hang them out in the sun to properly dry them. But with the rain all the time, I think this kind of weather is gonig to last a while...

WOuld appreciate any advice or what do you normally do in this time of the year?

Thanks alot!

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:30 pm

I went to Best Denki and bought two electric dehumidifiers to put in our closets. In weather like this, they fill up every 10 hours or so. I also keep the closet doors open most of the time, so light and air can get in.

cherrygeng

Postby cherrygeng » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 4:47 pm

Do you run them all day? the problem is that even the things I hang outside the closet are moulding now...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 6:11 pm

Some silica gel packets and vacuum storage bags should do the trick nicely as you won't be using that stuff for a while.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 7:06 pm

cherrygeng wrote:Do you run them all day? the problem is that even the things I hang outside the closet are moulding now...

No, but in weather like this I run them about 75% of the time instead of 50%. If I didn't, every think made of leather would mould. It's expensive, but so are those little tubs from the supermarket.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 8:10 pm

You poor baby ! What a horrible problem ! Is it possible that there is general dampness in your apartment - and not just normal humidity ! Also I presume you've thrown out the 'offending' garments cos it'll spread won't it ? Try running your AC when you're home for at least a few hrs each day with cupboard doors open as has been suggested here.
I use the thirsty hippos in my cupboards and have had no problems ...this isn't a fun problem is it? Can't say I'm GREEN with envy...could lend you some green earrings to match your gear of you like...... :-|
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

omarbinhendi

Re: Singapore Humidity - Cry to help!!

Postby omarbinhendi » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:06 pm

cherrygeng wrote:Hello Everyone,

I moved to Singapore two months ago, and recently the rain has started and I have had some nasty surprises in my closet! I have brought some of my winter clothes and put them in the closet. About two weeks ago, I started to discover that they have all turned MOULDY!!!. It is really quite scary as my winter shoes, suits, jackets have patches of green hair growing on them!!! Even a bag I bought from Thailand, made of dried straws, now have a sheet of green hair!!!

Since then, I have bought these dehumidifier boxes (They are supposed to absorb the moisture) and put them in the closet. But I doubt this is enough... Does anyone have any other advice for me as what to do??? I would normally wash them and hang them out in the sun to properly dry them. But with the rain all the time, I think this kind of weather is gonig to last a while...

WOuld appreciate any advice or what do you normally do in this time of the year?

Thanks alot!

I wonder how you tought that a climate like Singapore which is Tropical (i.e. humid and warm during the day) almost all year-long, could you feel winter :o

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Re: Singapore Humidity - Cry to help!!

Postby Super_Star » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:25 am

omarbinhendi wrote:I wonder how you tought that a climate like Singapore which is Tropical (i.e. humid and warm during the day) almost all year-long, could you feel winter :o

cherrygeng is not wearing the clothes because it is not winter. Hence, the problem.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:27 am

I had to wonder why she would bring winter clothes to Singapore as well. :?

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:52 am

So that she can have the option to plan for holidays to Europe/U.S./Australia/NZ in winter :-|

omarbinhendi

Postby omarbinhendi » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 2:56 am

Super_Star wrote:So that she can have the option to plan for holidays to Europe/U.S./Australia/NZ in winter :-|

Quite an explaination :wink:

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 7:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had to wonder why she would bring winter clothes to Singapore as well. :?

Because not everyone can afford temperature controlled storage and some people travel to cold climates.

I wouldn't qualify my leather shoes as 'winter clothes' but they sure would get mouldy if I wasn't careful.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 9:09 am

Sorry guys. I keep forgetting that there are some people who actually LIKE cold weather. I only go to holiday destinations or home during the summer months. :wink:

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 9:45 am

Super_Star wrote:So that she can have the option to plan for holidays to Europe/U.S./Australia/NZ in winter :-|

Well sprite- thank God for you ! Some others on here are losing their marbles ! What are we supposed to do when we travel to 'cold' places - buy a new wardrobe each time ??
Unless...and it's possible cos I'm new at this, that the implication from other posters here is that 'warm' thicker clothes are going to cause trouble in Sg cupboards- fullstop ?
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 1:19 pm

I'll take the compliment, even though it was Super Star you quoted. 8-)