Singapore Expats

What does Christmas mean to you?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Worldpartygirl

What does Christmas mean to you?

Post by Worldpartygirl » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 6:28 am

I love Christmas being with people that you love and spending quality time. This year my little grandaughter will really enjoy her presents-the joy in her face-exploring an excitement...

The joy of Xmas is; I like giving presents, small, may they be because during the year you never really say thankyou, a present can be personal and meaningful.

Xmas makes be feel thankful for the life I have..

What do you think?
WORLDPARTYGIRL

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 9:37 am

Good for you.

For me? It's just a reason for businesses to try to empty your wallets and not much else. Xmas spirit? A good bottle of Glenfiddich.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jockney
Regular
Regular

Post by jockney » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 10:07 am

Too many people caught up in the materialistic side of Christmas for me :(
I like to see the kids faces when they open their presents and I also like to give presents as for many years...I was too selfish to consider anyone other than myself. :oops:
We also try and make a point of inviting someone to our house over Christmas who is alone/lonely, without being too patronising into the bargain.
I hope you all have a good time. :D

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:12 pm

it means that under no circumstances walk down Orchard Road

drusilla
Regular
Regular

Post by drusilla » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:57 pm

it means one more day of public holiday .... :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sat, 15 Dec 2007 5:33 pm

Agree with EADG about Orchard Road.

Nice topic, WPG. Christmas to me means making time for family and friends. Joy is the single most descriptive word for the season. Hey, I can't help it if the truth is corny!

ps: Christmas shopping is DONE. Presents are WRAPPED. I am HAPPY. :D

Samm

Post by Samm » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 11:10 am

EADG wrote:it means that under no circumstances walk down Orchard Road
darn right :D

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:32 pm

Samm wrote:
EADG wrote:it means that under no circumstances walk down Orchard Road
darn right :D
I don't mind the hustle-bustle in small doses, so I would say I don't avoid Orchard Rd, just enjoy it in limited amounts.

Christmas to me is family time, traditions new and old, the smell of pine and if we're lucky, some snow. I'm not really a religious person, but I love getting bundled up for midnight mass and seeing a Christmas pageant.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:22 am

My four year old loves Orchard Road on an evening when all the lights are on, It's pure magic to him. Since I'm a Brit, Christmas time is about family to me, so we are packing our winter clothes (Hopefully with no mould) and heading back to the UK, get together with just about the whole family and having the traditional xmas dinner followed by a boxing day Pantomime. A walk next to the ocean with the North Sea waves crahing over the sea barrier in near zero temperatures, with a bit of luck some snow and the chance to hug some relatives not seen for a long time.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Post by jockney » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:00 pm

We too are heading of back to Scotland for the festive period...am looking forward to some snow, good food, and hopefully some good footy matches and then a nice walk in Callendar on the 1st of january(traditional in our house)...best bit will be my wee boy seeing his mates again one suspects :D
One thing I can say is I am very impressed with the lighting and decorations in Singapore....lots of effort gone in to making the place look spectacular for the festive period. =D>

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:06 pm

It'll be three years since we last hit Scotland for Christmas and this is our first in Singapore. Don't miss the fact it is dark by 3pm and don't really miss the cold.

Do miss the Christmas lunch, evening party and getting blasted on Hogmanny with my mates but other than that Christmas doesn't really hold much meaning for me anymore. My little one is still TOO little to understand the whole concept of gifts let alone Christmas itself so until next year there's nothing to get too worked up about.

I believe Christmas and the whole Santa stuff is pretty much restricted to the kids, and maybe more so for those of us living so far from "home."

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Post by guruvishwanath » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 4:14 pm

I love christmas! I dont celebrate it. But I celebrate it. I know! I know :-) I enjoy the time spent with my friends and their families. I enjoy the spirit of giving in gifts (silly to meaningful). And I actually write cards and post them. The only time I use a pen to write in the entire year. Not to mention, all the wine, champagne brunches, dinners, parties, events etc. etc. etc.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 5:16 pm

Christmas to me means nothing more than a lunch packed with mountains of food. We do not exchange gifts but we make sure everyone in the family is present to enjoy a sumptuous meal. :)

I enjoy the decoration along Orchard Road , despite the unrelentless rain. However, I do not enjoy the mad rush of things, people rushing around like ants trying to fill whatever ant-hole they have to fill. Why dont they slow down and enjoy the scene.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 6:21 pm

despite the unrelentless rain
Why didn't you just say light occasional drizzle?

Definition "Relentless"

adjective: never-ceasing (Example: "The relentless beat of the drums")

"unrelentless" would therefore mean occasionally or not very often.

Bet you use "irregardless" as well. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Tue, 18 Dec 2007 8:05 pm

Christmas? Now let me see :-k Peoples homes stocked with more booze than normal, mass advertising especially on TV to encourage people to spend more than they can afford creating financial woes to start the new year. Indigestion resulting in work time being lost while off sick cutting the productivity of a various countries. For some a house full of screaming kids, relatives and in-laws otherwise unseen for much of the year in a red hot room for just too long. Think I will go for a walk. :?