Singapore Expats Forum

Sleep problems!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Sleep problems!

Postby ksl » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:57 pm

I've been having sleep problems for around 7 years now, strangely enough, my internal clock, never seems to adjust to Asian time, I guess it started after several months of being in Taiwan.

Although I am a very active person, with sport, and feel sleepy tired at the end of a day, I just cannot get a good sleep, just dozing off for 30 minutes and up again...I finally hit the sack around 7.a.m whacked out!

The only thing i am sure about is, that since I married a vegetarian, I kind of stopped eating my steaks, which wasn't a bad thing because I had very high uric acid readings in my blood count, back in 2000, anway. But sure enough I wasn't getting the amino acids, I needed, my muscle was shrinking :oops: what to do next :shock: (No wise cracks ladies) :cry:

I came across this article today about our internal clock and the main switch, being an Amino acid...Thinking to myself, that this may well be correct, since I have not been eating my meat protein for a very long time....

So now to test the hypothesis, by taking amino acid supplement, for a while.....Tonight I experimented with apple vinegar in high protein soya milk, with 8 amino acids, it was great to be able to drink it! Although their are 20 Amino acids in the body, its touch and go until I find out which one it is, I need :roll:

Snorrrring away soon I hope! :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7140017.stm

Okay this maybe the Amino Acid they are on about, for those that are having sleep problems!

http://www.physorg.com/news116687712.html
Last edited by ksl on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005

Re: Sleep problems!

Postby EADG » Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:02 am

funny I just posted that on the other site a few hours back...

I had the same problem a year or so ago, and posted about it

part of the problem is the weather - having to turn the aircon on and off through the night

not sure if my tryptophan posts are still active, but that stuff works if you can find it (the tryptophan, not my boring posts...)

but this remains a big interest of mine, takes me a lot of effort to actually get to sleep, and if I wake after 30 min, I'm up for a long time

ksl wrote:I've been having sleep problems for around 7 years now, strangely enough, my internal clock, never seems to adjust to Asian time, I guess it started after several months of being in Taiwan.

Although I am a very active person, with sport, and feel sleepy tired at the end of a day, I just cannot get a good sleep, just dozing off for 30 minutes and up again...

The only thing i am sure about is, that since I married a vegetarian, I kind of stopped eating my steaks, which wasn't a bad thing because I had very high uric acid readings in my blood count, back in 2000, anway

I came across this article today about our internal clock and the main switch, being an Amino acid...Thinking to myself, that this may well be correct, since I have not been eating my meat protein for a very long time....So now to test the hypothesis, by taking amino acid supplement, for a while.....Tonight I experimented with apple vinegar in high protein soya milk, with 8 amino acids, it was great to be able to drink it!

Snorrrring away soon I hope! :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7140017.stm

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Sleep problems!

Postby ksl » Fri, 14 Dec 2007 2:28 am

EADG wrote:funny I just posted that on the other site a few hours back...

I had the same problem a year or so ago, and posted about it

part of the problem is the weather - having to turn the aircon on and off through the night

not sure if my tryptophan posts are still active, but that stuff works if you can find it (the tryptophan, not my boring posts...)

but this remains a big interest of mine, takes me a lot of effort to actually get to sleep, and if I wake after 30 min, I'm up for a long time

ksl wrote:I've been having sleep problems for around 7 years now, strangely enough, my internal clock, never seems to adjust to Asian time, I guess it started after several months of being in Taiwan.

Although I am a very active person, with sport, and feel sleepy tired at the end of a day, I just cannot get a good sleep, just dozing off for 30 minutes and up again...

The only thing i am sure about is, that since I married a vegetarian, I kind of stopped eating my steaks, which wasn't a bad thing because I had very high uric acid readings in my blood count, back in 2000, anway

I came across this article today about our internal clock and the main switch, being an Amino acid...Thinking to myself, that this may well be correct, since I have not been eating my meat protein for a very long time....So now to test the hypothesis, by taking amino acid supplement, for a while.....Tonight I experimented with apple vinegar in high protein soya milk, with 8 amino acids, it was great to be able to drink it!

Snorrrring away soon I hope! :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7140017.stm


Hi EADG, been a long time, welcome back! Yep I have a feeling it maybe lack of amino, if thats the case of one amino, being the switch, I'll see if I can rectify the problem :)

jockney
Regular
Regular
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu, 07 Jun 2007
Location: grange road

Postby jockney » Fri, 14 Dec 2007 6:56 am

Try camomile tea...REEEEEEEAAALLY works :)
I had problems many years ago and someone suggested it to drink before sleep, maybe an hour or so before, regularly everynight is better.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Dec 2007 7:18 am

Hve you considered sleep apnea? You exhibit sypmtoms. You should get it checked.

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Fri, 14 Dec 2007 8:12 am

Poor KSL :cry:
The Australian meat industry will tell you that you need to eat meat (they'll tell you over and over again ) and who's that NZ ACTOR-Sam Neil ? Yeah well he'll tell you that we'd all still be up in the trees if we hadn't started to eat meat back in cave-lady days....
Yeah meanwhile, think of something lovely just before you nod off ....
Ooh...I reckon you just need a soothing lullaby.....la la la......you'll be fine......now that you don't have those lumps anymore ! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 2:47 pm

ozchick wrote:Poor KSL :cry:
The Australian meat industry will tell you that you need to eat meat (they'll tell you over and over again ) and who's that NZ ACTOR-Sam Neil ? Yeah well he'll tell you that we'd all still be up in the trees if we hadn't started to eat meat back in cave-lady days....
Yeah meanwhile, think of something lovely just before you nod off ....
Ooh...I reckon you just need a soothing lullaby.....la la la......you'll be fine......now that you don't have those lumps anymore ! :)


Well I guess I know the problem :wink: , and so do you :wink: :wink:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 3:01 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Hve you considered sleep apnea? You exhibit sypmtoms. You should get it checked.


Wow, that's scary too, it maybe right though! Pyschologically disturbed could also be the problem i guess, because my heart is beating so low, it did worry me...Although I have been checked out twice now, and both times, they have reassured me, its because of my fitness, is in top form.

I was worried that going to sleep will reduce the heart even more, and all those suspicious deaths here of young people dieing in their sleep, may have triggered my subconsious.

Although when i checked the wifes heart beat too, hers is under 50 relaxed and 75 to 80 walking, mine is 41 relaxed and 48 to 56 walking.

I'll try the amino acids first, if that doesn't help, I think, i will have to be checked for Apnea, although in UK, I sleep very much better!

Ozchick seems to have the cure though :lol:

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Sun, 16 Dec 2007 7:41 pm

You're resting pulse seems low to me- reckon I'd be dead in that state !
More to the point ksl, are you certain that you haven't developed 'light sleep' routine...where you may once have tolerated noise, something may be disturbing you, especially in condo living situation, if it's at all possible that THIS could be the reason, try earplugs (they can take a few days to get used to - try them during the day first).
I would never sleep without ear-plugs, I hear EVERYTHING !
Also, I know you're into fitness but I presume you wouldn't be doing this at the end of the day cos then you get all the sweet little endorphins telling you it ain't rest time .... also do you read before sleeping- if not, TRY it ! This 'sleep' deficit can be a real pain- have been there ....let us know what you try and what happens.....sweet dreams :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 17 Dec 2007 1:50 am

Also, I know you're into fitness but I presume you wouldn't be doing this at the end of the day cos then you get all the sweet little endorphins telling you it ain't rest time .... also do you read before sleeping- if not, TRY it ! This 'sleep' deficit can be a real pain- have been there ....let us know what you try and what happens.....sweet dreams
_________________


Well the problem is, I've always been a night person I guess, but normally I can sleep around 1.a.m in the UK.....here, well I just haven't changed over the internal clock,,,and unfortunately I do run at some crazy times, I'm kind of impulsive when it comes to exercise :) ....what keeps me awake most is when sweet Ozzychicks, say sweet dreams to me! :lol:

Nostalgia creeps in, Singapore, was in fact my first encounter with an Ozchick 36 years ago, those where the days and funny enough I bumped into her mate...in the UK for 15 years ago too!

Talk about small world.....even some of my ex army mates have located me, through this website.

Well I'm off to Taiwan....so Merry Christmas to you all....if i'm not online...I've probably died happy, attempting to run Yang Ming Shan mountain in Taipei! Although I could think of better ways of dying too! Couldn't you Ozchick :oops:

A nice break considering, I haven't exercised, since the kids have been on school holidays! :) and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! 8-)

mapleandlion
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed, 19 Dec 2007

Postby mapleandlion » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear that !
My sleep quality is bad,too. My problem lies in dreaming a lot instead of falling asleep.
I practice yoga and meditating before sleep for 15 minutes.Maybe you could try it. Let your brain relax first. :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 3:42 pm

mapleandlion wrote:Sorry to hear that !
My sleep quality is bad,too. My problem lies in dreaming a lot instead of falling asleep.
I practice yoga and meditating before sleep for 15 minutes.Maybe you could try it. Let your brain relax first. :D


You really have a problem as most people don't dream UNTIL they fall asleep. #-o

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 4:32 pm

Forgive MLL, he is probably suffering from lack of sleep :P .

I am interested in this topic too as I find myself in the same position. Thanks to the 2 angels (daughters) that grace my life. They frequently interrupt my sleep. Chamomile tea was not that effective on me. I even tried sex but it was not enough of a workout. I usually lay there like a cold fish :o .

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:21 pm

earthfriendly wrote: I usually lay there like a cold fish :o .


Well I never ! I'm absolutely, positively, resolutely, undoubtedly, etc-
LOST FOR WORDS ! :shock:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:36 pm

ksl wrote:
Well I'm off to Taiwan....so Merry Christmas to you all.... Although I could think of better ways of dying too! Couldn't you Ozchick :oops:

and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! 8-)


Now ksl I suggest we join forces to assist 'earthfriendly' . (I think 'she' is a SHE- surely ?!) And maybe a bit of running up mountains is what she needs. Maybe she could 'lose the way on the return' at least for a little while.... yep- a bit of 'proper' exercise...mm....that's the secret.....

and to you ksl all the best for Christmas and new year and "watch out for that - T-R-E-E-" ! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests