Singapore Expats Forum

This makes no sense whatsoever

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

This makes no sense whatsoever

Postby sprite » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:05 pm

Surely some of the story is missing? Can they be that cruel?

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hi8 ... xwDL8KYdJA

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:23 pm

Is there such a thing in the first place??? I cant believe you can "return" a child you've adopted after 7 years! That's insane!

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:28 pm

Well, think about it. What's in the best interest of the child -- to be forced to stay with a family that wanted to return her? Probably not. I can understand if the child had a severe attachment disorder and was a danger to those around her, but that is never mentioned. So much is being done these days, new therapies and such. I can't imagine under what set of circumstances this would be the best resolution.

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:35 pm

Surely there are facts that are missing. The family has already shown that its a personal decision they are making for personal reasons. With the wife going mental and needing theraphy, it sounds like there's a whole story going on behind scenes which they're not talking about. The bottom line is so true. Once you make a decision, it's a commitment. Otherwise, it's the children who suffers.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:52 pm

Sounds like the family thought they were unable to conceive and adopted and then had a couple of their own later. I don't know how someone could not love an adopted child as much as their own children especially after raising them from infants. Also appear that the parents pushed the child off on the nanny/maid hence the ability to speak Cantonese and not Korean and the diet of Asian food instead of western food. I think the parents should be shot personally (okay - gun control kicks in now!). To me they are poor excuses for human beings and should be put down to prevent any more aberrations from their gene pool.

DIPLOMATS? :o :???:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 5:01 pm

Poor girl. It's bad enough when a younger sibling comes along - the feeling of having all the attention go to the new baby etc. How much worse when the younger sibling is your parents' flesh and blood and you are not, and then your parents don't want you anymore! I can imagine the stresses of adjustment everyone had to go through.

We really don't know the facts so I hesitate to jump to conclusions and judgments. I just hope the girl heals and succeeds in life nonetheless.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 5:05 pm

totally cruel!! :mad: :mad:

no matter what reasons they might have, they should never give her up...

difficulties? did they not think before adopting? and only after 7 years?? would they give up their own flesh and blood?? not eating their food as a reason??? ridiculous!! :mad:

its a life involved, not a toy and its so true an adoption is a lifetime commitment ...

so yes, they ought to be shot ... :x
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 5:24 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I just hope the girl heals and succeeds in life nonetheless.

u're just such a sweet darling...

very often in the event of naming/shaming/blaming the culprits, we tend to forget the feelings of the victims...

no wonder "auntie oz thinks the world of you", so do i... :wink:
To you, he's a dog...

To me, he's everything...

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 7:22 pm

As sprite says a good deal of this doesn't make sense; if the couple adopted the girl from the time she was a baby, how come she is 'not willing to eat their food?' I don't see how that can be as she is probably unfamiliar with the Korea diet. Although this may only reflect a badly written newspaper report.

The same argument can be applied to the claim 'it was difficult to raise her because of cultural shock.' Yes I agree there is definitely something missing.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 8:35 pm

mayamomi wrote:totally cruel!! :mad: :mad:

no matter what reasons they might have, they should never give her up...

difficulties? did they not think before adopting? and only after 7 years?? would they give up their own flesh and blood?? not eating their food as a reason??? ridiculous!! :mad:

its a life involved, not a toy and its so true an adoption is a lifetime commitment ...

so yes, they ought to be shot ... :x

My exact sentiments. Bastards! I guess they can always divorce their own flesh and blood in years to come should they prove to be a handful! :roll:
One man's meat is another's poison.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 9:04 pm

I read it in the newspaper yesterday!

My personal opinion is that the adoptive parents, should be made to keep the child financially until she is able to fend for herself! I am absolutely disgusted....and just because his wife had two children at a later date is no bloody excuse!

It's obvious now the child is better off, without these kind of parents, although it is too late....they most certainly shouldn't think they can toss children on the street, when it suits, them, and if the wife is having therapy, then I guess maybe its the husband he is forcing the issue here, although it is not the point.

Make them pay until the girl is 16 or 18 years old!!! I'm very mad :evil:

I sincerely believe the whole truth maybe more traumatic, than we can imagine....although being a diplomat..he cannot be prosecuted...for the worst possible crime! This is an unusally suspicious case, and to say a 4 month baby has not integrated in the time before the other children were born, is total bullshit! and to blame culture too is bullshit, there are literally thousands of Korean kids adopted in Europe! Culture shock for who? :roll: utter crap! The culture shock is no different for them, then anyone else!

I suspect a full medical of the child would shed light on the matter, it just doesn't add up otherwise! It is quite unbelievable!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:41 pm

[quote="ksl"

I suspect a full medical of the child would shed light on the matter, it just doesn't add up otherwise! It is quite unbelievable![/quote]

I agree ksl (even if you do like boxing); there is more to this story methinks. Something is rotten in the state of this recount..mm..I couldn't even get rid of my dog when my beloved ex said "it's the dog or me "...nay nay lah I chose the dog :lol: .......and we're talking an innocent little 7 yr old girl here...it's just a bit tool odd......
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'