Singapore Expats

Canadian International School vs Overseas Family School

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
veritas

Canadian International School vs Overseas Family School

Post by veritas » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:56 pm

I have 2 kids, age 7 and 9, girls who will come to Singapore and stay here for 1.5-2 years. Could anyone of you give me feedback on the two schools. I read from the forum that OFS seems to be very 'profit-driven'. I have not seen much comments on Canadian Sch too.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Post by jockney » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 7:13 am

All private schools are profit driven??
My son is at OFS and his education has improved remarkably since we arrived from the UK...which is supposed to have the best education!
He absolutely loves the school, the international friends,the teachers and the fact he is learning.
I have heard lots of complaints about OFS on here...ranging from there being too many stairs :???: , to money issues.
Our experience is...the staff are really helpful, the education is far ahead of the UK, our son is happy and learning...we can not want for anything else.
Funny thing is my wife wanted him to go to another school and we let him choose where he felt comfortable and it has paid off! :D
Sorry can not comment on canadian school.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 8:20 am

I don't have children in either school, I'm sorry. What I can tell you though is that OFS has a long-standing reputation in the community as being very much 'for profit'. Despite that, the facilities are run-down and tired, probably because their lease is up in a few years and the campus will move out into the heartlands like all the others.

The Canadian school was established fairly recently, and has moved to a brand new facility, which is not centrally located -- but at least reflects state-of-the-art learning environments. Both follow the IB program.

I suggest you schedule appointments at those two and a few others and definitely keep in mind that sometimes those 2 year contracts can stretch out for 10 or 15.