Singapore Expats Forum

Come on someone, say something !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Come on someone, say something !

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 9:01 am

Here I am all alone and there's nothing to get me fired up on here ! Hey maybe I can find ksl's thread about boxing and send some grief in that direction ! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 9:22 am

Mm....found the 'boxing' thread. Boxing should be banned. Anyone who finds it entertaining is a neanderthal ! It's as bad as birds in cages. Some people just don't appreciate the 'human body' or our 'feathered friends'. Really sad :cry:

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 9:35 am

Challenging the US Constitution isn't stimulating enough for you? :P

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:43 pm

ozchick wrote:Mm....found the 'boxing' thread. Boxing should be banned. Anyone who finds it entertaining is a neanderthal ! It's as bad as birds in cages. Some people just don't appreciate the 'human body' or our 'feathered friends'. Really sad :cry:

I'm all for grief, I've been having it ever since i was born, and i guess there are millions of unfortunates, worse off than myself, and to be honest, Ozchick, I liked your response of those who find it entertaining as
neanderthal, it's quite true, but it is also the fundamental demands that are being satisfied....Many boxers are kept out of trouble, by taking the sport up, my own father used to take delinquents off the street, to understand the dangers of fighting bare fist....the male hormones and growing up, is just a natural process for the neanderthal frustrations, lack of education and communication...

One today would be very lucky to meet a gentleman, for a fair one on one, and shake hands afterwards.

Rigid discipline, starts with training and the will to succeed...and I have myself been verbally abused by gangs, that think they can intimidate, like a pack of wolves, although things do change, when you confront them, and offer to take out the hardest of the bunch!

Although I am well past my sell by date these days, that's how life was, back in the social jungle, yes it is primitive, its survival, and boxing is a way out for many, an escapement from crime, and peer pressure...it is also a well respected mans sport, with women also having great interest.

True it isn't for everyone, it was never meant to be either, but boxing gives many the self confidence they need, even houswives, that are tired of being battered by their hubbies...and believe me, it happens not only in the primitive levels of societies...

You see the art of boxing is not what you think, it's not about beating someones brains in anymore, it's about not getting hurt and scoring points, today's boxing is far from primitive....and we are all entitled to our own masochistic tendancies, or the opposite sadistic pleasures...

You may not even be aware, that you are actually one of the two above, although the level of pleasure you seek or give, maybe, only mild, when compared to some.. :lol:

A little inner insight and thought may confirm the truth, although we do hate the truth too, at times.

I will say it's much safer than hacking at each other with parangs, so again we have the level of the neanderthal to consider too! :lol:

Have you never had the pleasure of watching females go at it, I can tell you, some of them, would put world champions to shame :)

Primitive life in a primitive world, all it takes, is a few pushes in the right direction, and you too, would resort to your primitive self, I'd almost put money on it...although distasteful as it is, I believe it does, help some people away from crime. And if it does that, then I'm all for it!

It's as bad as birds in cages.
Or humans in prison! :lol: In fact it's almost the same.....fear, frustration and adaptation, and those that cannot adapt, die! That's the world we have created called civilisation!

Yet wars, are that common, I'm totally :???: Some people actually commit crimes to go into prison every Christmas, specifically to get their christmas dinner! Institutionalised life has a lot to answer for!
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:48 pm

ozchick wrote:It's as bad as birds in cages. Some people just don't appreciate the 'human body' or our 'feathered friends'. Really sad :cry:

I used to have an African Grey. Syringe fed it as a baby and taught it to say a few words, or rather it taught itself. I left the cage door open during the day but it never wandered far, usually preferring to sit on its perch inside the cage anyway, with the door wide open. But I do know how you feel. I thought it unnatural and cruel too, until I had one myself and realised they make good pets and can actually be happy with humans.

Anyway, not sure how relevant that is. Just saying something for the sake of saying it, which is the purpose of this thread, right? :P

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:22 pm

ozchick wrote:Mm....found the 'boxing' thread. Boxing should be banned. Anyone who finds it entertaining is a neanderthal ! It's as bad as birds in cages. Some people just don't appreciate the 'human body' or our 'feathered friends'. Really sad :cry:

There is a big, big difference between boxing and a caged bird. The bird has been placed there, trapped, against its will, a prisoner. A boxer chooses to box, and more often than not, finds boxing a means to escape the prison in which he/she is trapped. Boxer 1, Bird 0.

To box is to learn discipline to learn to deal with pain (both physical and the pain of loss). It is a way of learning to be responsible and independent. It is a way to learn how to face fear. It is a way to grow. Boxers 1, Non-boxers 0.

There are many jobs far worse than boxing. Pity? Save it for the miners, miles down in utterly poor working conditions, dying every day the world around. Save it for the laborer, long days of back breaking work. The boxer _could_ quit and return to an even worse job, but why? Boxers 1, Miners 0.

American style boxing, it is true, seems to lack art... two guys pounding each other in the head. There is nevertheless, the better man. But look at something like Thai boxing, an art form, a true set of skills. It is not something easily learned to be successful.

Yes, I boxed from age 10 to 13. It was one of the better things I did in my youth. I kinow what those fighters are thinking when they are in the ring. They are the best and they know it. They take on the world. They are solely responsible for the outcome. It is a h$ll of a lot better attitude than that held by those who conveniently always find an external reason for all of life's ills.

PS: Under what grounds would you ban boxing? It is entered into freely. It has its fans. It makes people money. And just because you don't like it, it should be banned?

Cheers.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:03 am

Good post, SE. Except that you're making me feel bad about once owning a bird. Doesn't owning a dog fall under the same logic? If both the dog and the bird choose not to run away, aren't both then equally okay? Or is having pets wrong on all counts? Aiyoh, too moral too late at night.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:58 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:Good post, SE. Except that you're making me feel bad about once owning a bird. Doesn't owning a dog fall under the same logic? If both the dog and the bird choose not to run away, aren't both then equally okay? Or is having pets wrong on all counts? Aiyoh, too moral too late at night.

I think SE was referring to wild birds, your bird and your dog were most likely born as domestic animals never having lived in the wild and wouldn't be capable of so doing. The answer to your question then is no, there is nothing wrong with having pets.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:29 pm

Thanks Plavt.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 3:43 pm

Plavt wrote:I think SE was referring to wild birds, your bird and your dog were most likely born as domestic animals never having lived in the wild and wouldn't be capable of so doing. The answer to your question then is no, there is nothing wrong with having pets.

thank you too!! :) for a while WIMH was making me feel guilty .... :-|
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 5:36 pm

mayamomi wrote:for a while WIMH was making me feel guilty .... :-|

Huh? I was the one feeling guilty for having a bird. By the way I also have a dog.

Think it was Ozchick who first said birds in cages was bad. So let's all blame HER for making us feel guilty. Naughty naughty Ozchick.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 6:17 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
There is a big, big difference between boxing and a caged bird. The bird has been placed there, trapped, against its will, a prisoner. A boxer chooses to box, and more often than not, finds boxing a means to escape

Yeah no problem with boxing per se as a means of self-defence. But as a means to make money and entertain the masses? What can I say, it's a sad indictment on society. As for a means to escape..well yeah sure but when someone's life is so sad that they must resort to pummmelling the lights out of another human being in order to feel good OR to make money....it's quite distatesful.
People actually pay to come and see these desperados. It's not much better than paying to see the 'elephant man' or the 'fat lady'. I would have to be paid big money to go and pay witness to another human being's undignified method of finding meaning in life .
I appreciate that I'm not being harangued by other posters here but this whole thing may well be a 'male' /'female' thing. Despite the fact that females do box, generally most women don't like it . I did see that film with Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby). It was reccommended to me by my 2 brothers (one boxes and the other's into kick-boxing). Every time she copped a blow I just cringed. :cry:
I'll never understand men- not really....but I still like them- LOTS ! :wink:

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 6:21 pm

Hi WIMH. Plavt is at least partially right. Dogs are domesticated. They choose to stay with people. I suppose that birds who have never been in the wild fall in the same category... I must say that it pains me to see birds in a cage instead of flying free. I know you are a compassionate person and your pets are lucky.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 8:34 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
mayamomi wrote:for a while WIMH was making me feel guilty .... :-|

Huh? I was the one feeling guilty for having a bird. By the way I also have a dog.

And my wife has me! :P :lol: but I'm difficult to tame :P and Ozchick just to spoil your dreamstate, those lumps, are not mine...Although I'm almost like it, I would have to take human growth injections, to get that kind of definition! Like Sylvester Stallone :lol:

Ozchick:but I still like them- LOTS !
Now you're making me blush :oops:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 9:16 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Hi WIMH. Plavt is at least partially right. Dogs are domesticated. They choose to stay with people. I suppose that birds who have never been in the wild fall in the same category... I must say that it pains me to see birds in a cage instead of flying free. I know you are a compassionate person and your pets are lucky.

Kind words, thanks. I did feel guilty at first, but felt ok when I saw my bird preening and stretching its wings in delight when it saw me. I learnt a lot about birds that year. They are still much more wild than dogs, even those born in captivity. And even now I too feel sad for birds in cages when they are never taken out, where there is no bond with the owner, and they're there just for show or for song. So I understand how you and Ozchick feel. I have to say that from experience birds, at least intelligent ones like parrots, can make great pets and form attachments to humans.