Singapore Expats Forum

They have done it again! 8 more people shot dead in the US

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

fefe

Postby fefe » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 3:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Oh, nobody is claiming that 'the right to bear arms' is a success story. It's one of the cornerstones of the foundations of our country. Sorry, but I paid my dues (vietnam) and my taxes and it's my country and I still want the ability to defend what's mine. It's why after all these years we are still a democracy and not a dictatorship (at least theoretically anyway - again another discussion). There is a lot wrong with our country I admit. The availability of illegal weapons and ease of obtaining guns I have noted in earlier posts is. Putting criminals back on the streets is. Dumbing down our schools is. But gun ownership by responsible citizens is not one of them.

hey SMS, US is the brain child of a lot of innovations, it is also one of the first capitalist countries that has spurred the rest of the world's economy. most of the nobel prize winners are from the universities in the US. so, it's not that bad... except, how should i put it? maybe it is not as peace loving as the Swiss? I don't know, maybe it has to do with the culture and the history...

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 4:03 pm

fefe wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Oh, nobody is claiming that 'the right to bear arms' is a success story. It's one of the cornerstones of the foundations of our country. Sorry, but I paid my dues (vietnam) and my taxes and it's my country and I still want the ability to defend what's mine. It's why after all these years we are still a democracy and not a dictatorship (at least theoretically anyway - again another discussion). There is a lot wrong with our country I admit. The availability of illegal weapons and ease of obtaining guns I have noted in earlier posts is. Putting criminals back on the streets is. Dumbing down our schools is. But gun ownership by responsible citizens is not one of them.

hey SMS, US is the brain child of a lot of innovations, it is also one of the first capitalist countries that has spurred the rest of the world's economy. most of the nobel prize winners are from the universities in the US. so, it's not that bad... except, how should i put it? maybe it is not as peace loving as the Swiss? I don't know, maybe it has to do with the culture and the history...

Peace loving? Tell that to the families of 6 million dead jews. I guess 'culture' is one word for it, I can think of a few others Roget wouldn't list as synonyms.