Singapore Expats Forum

Taxis on the nose

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Taxis on the nose

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:29 am

Originally posted by "ozchick"

The following is the first page of messages in text form from the Google Cache (all that I could extract). Maybe at least we can pick up from there....

sms

Taxis on the nose (page 1 of 2)

ozchick
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:53 pm Post subject: Taxis on the nose Reply with quote
I really do think that if I get ONE more taxi-driver who makes that horrible 'sniffing at the back of the nose' noise, I'm gonna ask them to PAY ME for the suffering or stop the cab and let me out !
Fair dinkum- they make me want to throw up. And how come so many of them have this 'health' problem ?

And that other thing they do here is 'accelerate' then 'de-accelerate' for no reason on a road when there's no other vehicle in front or behind. A numbere of drivers do this...so what's this about? Have they got itchy feet or are they wanting to use more petrol ? What THE ??

Is there a public transport users association here ? Surely drivers have been told that disgusting 'nose noises' are not on....ooh it's all so
Y U C K Y and P U K E Y ......need I go on ?!

Wind In My Hair
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:35 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh dearie me. SMS is going to be rubbing his hands in glee now that you've made his prediction come true... Whatever happened to Little Miss "I love it here" Sunshine? Razz

Plavt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I always find the references to the revolting habits of Singaporean taxi drivers rather amusing. Having been there several times and use far more taxis than I would here in London I have yet to bear witness to any of this.

I wonder what it is about me that makes them behave themselves? Razz Laughing

ProvenPracticalFlexible

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Plavt wrote:
I always find the references to the revolting habits of Singaporean taxi drivers rather amusing. Having been there several times and use far more taxis than I would here in London I have yet to bear witness to any of this.

I wonder what it is about me that makes them behave themselves? Razz Laughing

Most of the drivers are ok, it‘s an occasional bad driver that you remember. I never have a bad word about the cabbies here in Singapore except on hangover days if they do the 'accelerate' then 'de-accelerate' thing mentioned by OP. On normal days I don’t care about how they drive as long as I get to my destination, at least local prices are reasonable.

SuperStarr
Chatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I think there is a bigger issue of the taxis smelling really bad! Ozchick, maybe you should invest in an i-pod. It drowns out all the really bad sound effects that you don't want to hear.

Matney
Reporter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:34 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to a section of 'real' Singapore! Laughing Laughing

bigfilsing
Chatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote
That smell thing is usually down to a type of grass or root they bundle and hide under the seat. It keeps the cock roaches away. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

As for the gas pedal on/ off thing they genuinely think it saves petrol. Like wise the "drive every where in 4th gear". I've tried explaining the principle that a car is most efficient when it's traveling at a steady speed in it's optimum gear/ torque range but not got anywhere. They think that because they are proffesional taxi drivers they are experts at driving a taxi. Confused
They'd be much better off with automatic gear boxes and a decent lesson in how to drive. During the coffee breaks they could read the highway code Mad

Wind In My Hair
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:55 am Post subject: Reply with quote
bigfilsing wrote:
That smell thing is usually down to a type of grass or root they bundle and hide under the seat. It keeps the cock roaches away. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

Pandan leaves. That smells nice though, almost sweet. It's the other smell that makes me want to puke. I asked before and it's the leftover smell of, guess what - puke, from passengers who got drunk and threw up in the taxi the night or nights previously. If the taxi is not thoroughly cleaned out the smell just lingers and over time gets into the seats etc. Ugh.

SuperStarr
Chatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Not so much the smell of what WIMH says is "Pandan leaves" or stale puke which has not diffused off... But more the general bad smell of body odour or people who could really use a shower being in the taxi, either the driver or the previous passengers. All taxis, please ensure a good quality air freshner. Thank you!

rhino
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:45 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Obviously none of you have been in a typical Sydney taxi before! Took many to client meetings and it was usually a case of air con not turned on in warm, humid Sydney weather, and a taxi driver who had therefore being stewing in his own bodily excretions all day... Not a happy combination I can assure you!!

SuperStarr
Chatter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Ohhhh! Nasty!!!

pollyminaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Wind In My Hair wrote:
Pandan leaves. That smells nice though, almost sweet.

Ha! So that is pandan leaves... it does NOT smell nice at all, WIMH.
No thank you.

one843
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Pandan smells like old dirty socks that have been marinated in Movie Theater extra butter popcorn.

one843
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:54 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Furthermore-----

I must give credit to the Pandan leaves as they do work very well, and I kinda like the smell of old dirty socks marinated in popcorn. Smile

Seriously- I have heard the same complaints about smelly Taxi drivers and/or Taxis from my wife. She has even pointed the smell out while I have been in a Taxi with her.

When she has pointed it out I have not been able to detect it.

I think it may come down to the individual person. Kinda like how a large percentage of people like the smell of a Skunk or the smell of a diesel truck.

OR could it have something to do with primal instinct?

I spend most of my taxi time in the morning. The driver has just started his shift so maybe his musk has not had enough time to manifest itself.

SuperStarr
Chatter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
one843 wrote:

She has even pointed the smell out while I have been in a Taxi with her.

When she has pointed it out I have not been able to detect it.

one843, you are so blessed with the special power! I am so jealous as I have quite a sensitive sense of smell...!

Page 1 of 2