Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Radio

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 9:57 am

markhed wrote:I know Runrig, Im irish!

I'm sorry to hear that . . . incurable, I've heard.
One in the hand is worth two of something

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks, its a life sentence alright but it has its perks..

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 4:01 pm

Knowing Runrig has it perks? :lol:

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Tue, 11 Dec 2007 4:50 pm

ha ha, wouldnt go that far!

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:36 am

Super_Star wrote:micknlea, does Joe do the show alone or with a partner-in-crime?

He is on with Petrina (sp???) as Rich D said. She is passable but he is really good.

well well well...Quasi, fancy seeing you here...:kiss: :P
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:44 am

Quasimodo wrote:
markhed wrote:I know Runrig, Im irish!

I'm sorry to hear that . . . incurable, I've heard.

:lol:

So is being a smart alec. :P

Missed your wit around here!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 12 Dec 2007 8:37 pm

Quasi aka chameleon. :P :kiss:
One man's meat is another's poison.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 1:32 am

saw this thread and felt like posting after a long time of not doing so, did something similar on the 'other' site too

went to 2 movies a couple of weeks back, Bee Movie, and Lars And The Real Girl

the same people who went to see those movies must listen to these moronic DJs who have no sense of humor or anything interesting to say, let alone anything sincere -

Bee Movie: well, when IS Magazine throws around tired cliches like "side-splitting", you know you're in trouble - borderline clever, not a really a 'funny' movie, but you wouldn't know it from the chukleheads in the theater, who managed to miss the real humorous lines

Lars: an even scarier slice of the demographics - people laughed at every little thing and none of it was intended to be funny in an otherwise poingnant movie - the few other ang mohs and mixed couples in the audience were not laughing either - at a couple of points I stopped watching the movie to watch the audience, utterly and completely fascinated, trying to salvage a ruined evening

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
rhino wrote:Overly juvenile? Yes... Kind of on par with TV comedy in Singapore then?

You have to remember ...... this is a country where they run Mr. Bean skits from 30 years ago ad infinitum. In your face, vaudville humour is the only thing they understand. Subtle humour? D'oh, what's that! :roll:

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 9:25 am

I will probably get killed for this but do Singaporeans need to be told what to like and dislike? ie This is a funny movie so you must laugh. This is funny radio etc etc

Im just throwing this out there....

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 9:52 am

No, no -- no one is telling anyone what to like and dislike. it's a semi-free country after all!

Just that the things that get a laugh here can be very surprising to western/expat movie goers.

Bee Movie was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long time and has been slammed by the critics, but the people here -- who weren't talking through the whole thing thought it was hysterical. :roll:

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:08 am

I did go to see a movie in Luxembourg once that was subtitled in French for the locals. I would laugh when and then the rest of the cinema would join in 3 secs later when they read the lines....

Funny in itself!

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 3:40 pm

WIMH and GC - - - Settle, ladies. Settle . . . there is but so much of me to go around and so many takers.

I always found it quit funny when Singaporeans would laugh at the least appropriate times in the cinema . . . . such fools . . . really! Infantile to say the least.

Then my wife took me to see a Cantonese comedy and I really could not understand what these simpletons were laughing at . . . HA! Incredible.

Mind you, I couldn't understand a word that was being said nor could I follow the subtitles. Double silly of them.

Shouldn't everything just be in English so we can be superior in all facets of life and make fun of all those pesky non-native speakers, dammit!

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 4:40 pm

Just reading this thread here... and so totally relieved that I am not the only one who thinks this way! Maybe Singaporeans just have a different sense of humor... err... if people like us... can even call it a "sense of humor" in the first place... There is so much lacking. And what they call funny... I can't even begin to comprehend!?!??

Think the bottom line is that all this is attributed to cultural differences. There, I rest my case.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 7:51 pm

I was with a bunch of people today and one guy kept making inane remarks and the other guys laughed. The women were not amused. I've also heard American men joking among themselves and I didn't find it the least bit funny. So I conclude that the problem is not with Singaporeans, but with men. So there! :tongue:

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Thu, 13 Dec 2007 8:04 pm

Oops... I think you just started a whole new topic there, WIMH! Get ready for all the bombarding replies! Here we go... hold your breath! :o