Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Radio

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

markhed
Regular
Regular

Singapore Radio

Postby markhed » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 4:39 pm

Hi,

I posed this earlier but it got lost with the probs today so here I go again.

Does anyone else find Singapore morning radio overly juvenile? Every station has lame dj's giggling and playing stupid jingles. When I first turned on the radio I actually thought it was a wind up but all the stations I find are the same.

Anyone know a station that plays good music without the pantomine acts?

Cheers

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 6:05 pm

I had responded with something like:

Ya, it sucks. I can't listen to it. I gave it a 'go', now I give it a 'pass'. My son's humor was more sophisticated when he was about 9 years old.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 8:15 pm

Don't listen to morning radio but later in the day love GOLD FM (yeah great 'old' good stuff) for Ozbroiler to get all nostalgic about....and then Symphony FM at night...nice lullabies for old chooks to rock off to sleepy-byes.
Mm...this probably doesn't help at all.....sorry...
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 9:12 pm

Yes there is still one "decent" radio station that still exists. It's 99.5FM. Very few commercials and mostly non-stop music. Mostly big beats and some jazz.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:04 pm

ozchick wrote:Don't listen to morning radio but later in the day love GOLD FM (yeah great 'old' good stuff)

OMG we are the same generation in terms of music! Either I'm as old as you or you're as young as me. We'll agree it's the latter eh? :wink:

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Wed, 05 Dec 2007 10:48 pm

Overly juvenile? Yes... Kind of on par with TV comedy in Singapore then?

Only thing I listen to on the radio is BBC World Service between 630 and 7am for news and sport. Otherwise its my iTunes and podcasts all the way... 8-)

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 7:56 am

Funniest thing is the 'Gold' station music is newer than the modern stations!!! :???:
A lot of drivel spoken, with old music...what a turn off.
I even heard them advertising their awards ceremony for DJ's the other day...says it all when you have to keep on advertising the tickets!
It must have been a great night with all that modern music.

Why don't they play modern music, is it a financial thing??

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 9:47 am

Tuned in this morning and boy ,was it so lame and BIG time childish. Stupid laughter and I can sense they are trying to crack some jokes. Keep on trying folks. :?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 1:03 pm

rhino wrote:Overly juvenile? Yes... Kind of on par with TV comedy in Singapore then?

Only thing I listen to on the radio is BBC World Service between 630 and 7am for news and sport. Otherwise its my iTunes and podcasts all the way... 8-)

You have to remember ...... this is a country where they run Mr. Bean skits from 30 years ago ad infinitum. In your face, vaudville humour is the only thing they understand. Subtle humour? D'oh, what's that! :roll:

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 2:16 pm

I used to chase Joe Augustin around the dial from Class 95 to Power then Radio 913. In his latest re-incarnation he was partnering Petrina Kow and some of the attraction to the show was that the dislike between them was palpable.

If he is still there it might be worth a try - not humour just like home but remember it is targetted at a local audience.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 4:47 pm

And so let's not even get started on the Morning Express with Glenn and the flying Dutchman...

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:05 pm

Well it was Joe and the Flying Dutchman when I first arrived but I soon tuned out when Joe moved on. For a while I have to confess I found Glenn Ong and Rod Monteiro on Perfect 10 intermittently amusing. Joe and Maggie Lim on Power 98 was funny at times, probably the best I have encountered but sadly Joe flew off again.

Most times at home though I go for BBC Radio 2's Steve Wright in the Afternoon over the broadband. There are some great comedy programmes to be found under their radio player function. Try "Round the Horne" - you will not believe the innuendo they got away with back in the late 1950's
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:13 pm

I like Joe too, he is still on 91.3 in the mornings (on holidays right now though) don't mind the music on there as well it is about the best mix around and plays more modern stuff mixed with a few oldies. Unfortunately most of the other DJs are pretty lame, Rod M is doing their drive time show in the afternoon and it is passable, but apparently changing next week to who knows what.

At home I listen to internet radio...pick what I want from wherever I want.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Super_Star
Regular
Regular

Postby Super_Star » Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:48 am

micknlea, does Joe do the show alone or with a partner-in-crime?

markhed
Regular
Regular

Postby markhed » Mon, 10 Dec 2007 9:08 am

Well problem solved. Radio in the bin as of this morning. I turned it on when I got up and two muppets were giggling like school girls.

Its a pity coz some good music in the morning helps break in the day. Looks like the laptop is going to be restored to the bedroom and ITunes in the morning it is..