Singapore Expats

Teeth Whitening

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
MHS

Teeth Whitening

Post by MHS » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 1:36 pm

Anyone know of clinics in Singapore or in Thai that provides good and affordable teeth whitening?The lowest price I've asked is around SGD1000 ....I have naturally neat and well-aligned teeth ... it's not very yellowish but I'm just curious how does it feel like and wish to give a try.I've heard the latest technology of teeth whitening now is by laser...anyone know the costs?And how effective it is?

Is teeth whitening considered a form of PS as well?

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Sun, 20 Jan 2008 10:30 pm

hi MHS

i chanced upon your post and decided to reply :D
there are generally 2 types of whitening:
1 using a take home kit which u use at home yourself, the other is done in the dental office by the dentist, which is much faster
the price for an in-office whitening is around 1000 SGD, you may be able to find some slightly cheaper.
the in-office whitening is of course more effective and faster than the take home kit where the dentist makes u a tray which u bring home.
teeth whitening may be done by lasers, or by chemicals. not much difference whichever way you get it done.
i'm a dental surgeon btw, hope this answers your questions.
cheers!

Eze
Regular
Regular

Post by Eze » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 1:37 am

oooh. I just got a brochure at Bugis a few weeks back.

& this company was promoting teeth whitening service too.
Similar procedures mentioned. either by laser or take home kit.

Costs unknown.

Brochure (received quite a few weeks back) states:
SMS "FSmile08" to 815 11 815
to receive a voucher to enjoy a very Special Promotional Price for your Laser Teeth Whitening.

Free consultation: Meet our smile therapist & understand more on your expected results before you decide to opt for our Fabulous Laser Teeth Whitening. No obligations.
Quoted directly from the brochure.

Company: Fabulous Smile Pre Ltd
Tel: 6884 5455
www.fabuloussmile.sg
fabuloustan.livejournal.com

Need to save $$$.... I wanna go for this treatment too~~ =p
But will compare a few companies before making decision though.

babyangel
Regular
Regular

Teeth Whitening

Post by babyangel » Mon, 21 Jan 2008 5:18 am

Hi GF,

Glad to note that you are a dentist.

Understand there a few types of procedures in the market for teeth whitening done in the dentist clinic.

Hv you heard of Cosmetic Bright teeth Whitening? WHat do you think of it? I hv gone for a trial session & trying to decide if i wish to carry on the course which is around 5 sessions or so & the price is around $600 or thereabout which is cheaper than the laser type which goes around$800-$1000 or so.

Some years back i tried the laser whitening, couldnt remember the name & now thinking of doing the teeth whitening procedure again.

In your professional opinion, would you recommend the Cosmetic Bright OR the Laser type?

Thanks for your help. :)

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:24 am

hi...
there are several types of whitening systems in the market.
the laser treatments etc that you mentioned, well to be honest, studies have shown that there are no differences in the results.
basically the "laser treatment" uses light to activate the chemicals that causes your teeth to be whiter. the other type is activated chemically, not by light. maybe the light one gives the dentist slightly more control since he can decide when to start the procedure.
but basically the result is the same.
what is more important is WHO does the treatment for you.
there are ppl who are non-dentists doing teeth whitening. yes! NON-DENTISTS. basically these "clinics" do nothing but whitening since they are not allowed to do other procedures as they are not trained as dentists.
They are usually able to charge lower than doctors, but i'd advise patients to still get a qualified dentist to get the job done because its not as simple as just placing a chemical on the teeth. there are other considerations as well. so rem to check if the operator is trained as a dentist. Ask to see the qualifications, they should have a BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:35 am

hi Eze,
i'm afraid what you quoted in the brochure "Company:
Fabulous Smile Pre Ltd
www.fabuloussmile.sg

is one of those clinics where teeth whitening is done by non-dentists.
I'd advise against going to these "teeth whitening companies" because of several reasons:
1) Teeth whitening involves not just placing chemicals on the teeth, but also protecting the soft tissues (the gums, tongue, cheek etc) from damage from the chemicals. Obviously someone who is not trained as a dentist won't be well versed to handle that.
2) Not every case requires whitening. In certain cases, if the stains giving the discolouration is extrinsic in nature, other simpler procedures will be sufficient. In fact, whitening may just mask the problem and give rise to bigger problems in the future
3) A dentist will do a thorough examination prior to the procedure. You might require other more urgent treatment eg caries, gum disease etc. Just carrying out a whitening may give you short term results, but in the long run, when the problems become obvious (eg pain) the treatment required then will usually be more complex and expensive
4) from the prices quoted on the website, doesn't seem like its much cheaper than seeing a dentist.

Hope this answers your questions. :D

Eze
Regular
Regular

Post by Eze » Tue, 22 Jan 2008 2:15 am

icic. Thanks for the advice!!! =D

Will keep this in note. =)
gf wrote:hi Eze,
i'm afraid what you quoted in the brochure "Company:
Fabulous Smile Pre Ltd
www.fabuloussmile.sg

is one of those clinics where teeth whitening is done by non-dentists.
I'd advise against going to these "teeth whitening companies" because of several reasons:
1) Teeth whitening involves not just placing chemicals on the teeth, but also protecting the soft tissues (the gums, tongue, cheek etc) from damage from the chemicals. Obviously someone who is not trained as a dentist won't be well versed to handle that.
2) Not every case requires whitening. In certain cases, if the stains giving the discolouration is extrinsic in nature, other simpler procedures will be sufficient. In fact, whitening may just mask the problem and give rise to bigger problems in the future
3) A dentist will do a thorough examination prior to the procedure. You might require other more urgent treatment eg caries, gum disease etc. Just carrying out a whitening may give you short term results, but in the long run, when the problems become obvious (eg pain) the treatment required then will usually be more complex and expensive
4) from the prices quoted on the website, doesn't seem like its much cheaper than seeing a dentist.

Hope this answers your questions. :D

babyangel
Regular
Regular

Teeth Whitening

Post by babyangel » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 3:07 am

Hi Gf,

Thanks for your advice. Then do you know of a few dental clinics that do Very Good Jobs in Teeth WHitening & What Procedures do they use?

Or does anyone, for that matter, has tried a good & reliable dentist for teeth whitening & obtained very satisfactory results?

Thanks.

billturk1

Post by billturk1 » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 5:09 pm

recommend you take care when getting the teeth whighting procedure

2 years ago my wife did the one at home, chemicals in mouth think about 5 days and yep they turned white
but became so sensetive she couldnot even drink a cold coke for 2 years now, must drink everything room temp.
billturk1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 8:38 pm

bt1,

I have heard the same thing. Especially when using the laser method. Don't know the method has been refined or not recently. I quit smoking 3 years ago and would have liked to do it as well but for the anecdotal stories.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Post by queenie-me » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:07 pm

I get my teeth done which including:
wisdom, whitening, regular checks. at my cousin's clinic. and guess what?
it's FREE. lol.
My sister-in-law who used to work for my cousin says that the laser does work. But of course, you need to regular care your teeth with brushing it after meals, before going to bed etc. She also did the laser whitening, even so, she regular clean her teeth and use the "medication" my cousin gave.

Oh, btw, my cousin's clinic is in JB. I'm not too sure about the prices cause normally we go, we don't really have to pay. :wink:

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:32 pm

just to answer some queries:

the teeth whitening procedure itself may be quite sensitive.
it's quite subjective, for some ppl its VERY sensitive, for others they don't feel anything. but ultimately, for it to be properly, a qualified dentist should do it.
personally, i give some painkillers to the patient prior to the procedure, so that the patient won't feel a thing. you cant wait till the patient feels sensitivity before giving cuz the mouth will be set up by then etc.
during the procedure itself, we haf special chemicals to carefully protect all the soft tisses , that is, the gums, tongue etc.
the procedure (for laser) requires 4 cycles, during which the patient can watch a movie etc while waiting. if the patient feels tired or wants to stop, we can always stop in between cycles and the remaining cycles can be completed on another day.
so while i won't say that it is entirely painless / feels fantastic etc, the procedure is usually quite ok for most of my patients.

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:35 pm

to billturk1:
for some patients, it is very sensitive after the procedure. cuz the outer layer of the teeth (the enamel) is chemically changed.

i usually coat a protective layer over the teeth before i send the patient home. there's a special chemical available, it helps to reduce any discomfort greatly.

:D

gf
Regular
Regular

Post by gf » Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:bt1,

I have heard the same thing. Especially when using the laser method. Don't know the method has been refined or not recently. I quit smoking 3 years ago and would have liked to do it as well but for the anecdotal stories.
hi... the laser whitening system (usually zoom) does work. of course the effect varies amongst different patients but generally most ppl get a good result they are satisfied with. you might not need whitening if the stains are due to smoking though. prob can clean the stains off with various materials.

chrispie99

Post by chrispie99 » Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:33 pm

My sister recently did her teeth whitening at KCS Dental Group at bedok reservoir. Her teeth are much whiter now after the treatment. Pretty reasonably priced too. I think is around 750-800 (maybe got discount some more). It comes with kit and stuff... maybe you guys can check it out.