Singapore Expats Forum

Have a good maid, should I transfer or send her back?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

WhiteRose

Have a good maid, should I transfer or send her back?

Postby WhiteRose » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 1:16 pm

We are leaving Singapore, our maid is good with house chores and child care, if we transfer her,we need to wait and find a good employer, which need time.If send her back,a bit cruel to her,no job at her country.Any good solution?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Have a good maid, should I transfer or send her back?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 1:45 pm

WhiteRose wrote:We are leaving Singapore, our maid is good with house chores and child care, if we transfer her,we need to wait and find a good employer, which need time.If send her back,a bit cruel to her,no job at her country.Any good solution?

Have you asked her what she wants to do? I think that would be the first step. Then depending what your satisfaction rating was would indicate if she is worth the effort to ensure she either goes home or transfers to a new employer here (her option).

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 2:05 pm

If she wants to stay here, you could help by allowing the agency to give your contact number to prospective employers. Many people would be happy with a transfer maid as it's less hassle and faster, but they worry that the previous employer sacked her for unsatisfactory performance that both she and the agency would never admit. So if you provided a contact number and vouched for her, I think she would be employed in no time.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 2:14 pm

Most people I know would rather have a transfer maid if they can find a good one with current employer references, i assume you still have some time before leaving, so if this is what the maid wants, you should be able to work something out that is good for everyone - the main advantage that I found was the ability to have the proposed xfer maid come round to our home and meet our family and for us to meet her - I do not think you will have to "wait around" my 2 cents :)

WhiteRose

Postby WhiteRose » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 2:22 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:If she wants to stay here, you could help by allowing the agency to give your contact number to prospective employers. Many people would be happy with a transfer maid as it's less hassle and faster, but they worry that the previous employer sacked her for unsatisfactory performance that both she and the agency would never admit. So if you provided a contact number and vouched for her, I think she would be employed in no time.

Yes, she hope to stay and I'm willingly to help her to get a good family, as I direct hire her from Phil..no agent..so now if I need to transfer her..I need to find new employer myself(no time,no contacts) or leave her with any agent for 21days, which I'm afraid till end cant find a good one,she still have to send home. Any expat employer to recommend me?

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 3:00 pm

Write her a very good and detailed recommendation letter and give her the money for an agent, and she should be able to secure a job within a few weeks. In the meantime spread the word at work and with friends that she is looking for a new job.