Singapore Expats

Does anyone understand milk labeling in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Does anyone understand milk labeling in Singapore?

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:48 am

I understand that UHT milk is not refrigerated and sold in tetra paks on grocery shelves because it is radiated to give it a longer shelf life. But why is fresh milk sold in the dairy case identified as: milk drink and milk product. Isn't it just 'milk'? I know milk solids are added to skim milk to give it a richer texture, but I don't want my milk to have a list of ingredients. I just want milk. Not milk 'drink'.

Is anyone puzzled by this? And while we are on the subject how can milk be 'breakfast flavoured? :? Has anyone else seen the adverts for this product?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 1:46 pm

UHT milk is not radiated at all. It Ultra-High Temperature treated which allows the long unrefrigerated shelf life as long as the sterile packaging has not been punctured. Once opened it is drastically reduced even when refrigerated. Pasteurized milk (HTST - High Temperature Short Time) on the other hand is also heat treated but at a shorter time which doesn't kill all of the bacteria. This is why UHT is often called sterilized milk.

True fresh milk shouldn't be drank at all as it can pass on bacteria which is harmful to humans.

A lot of the reason that you cannot find fresh milk here is that most or a very high percentage of Asians are Lactose Intolerant. Therefore most milk has been treated and reconstituted so that the majority can drink it without problems. Otherwise they (the stores) would have a spoilage problem which is not bottom line oriented.

Breakfast flavored? New one on me! Maybe it's flavoured to taste like Nasi Lemak? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:02 pm

One of the things I miss, being a Dutchman milkman: Fresh day milk from the farmer...

Only this fake Aussie stuff available here... :cry:
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:UHT milk is not radiated at all. It Ultra-High Temperature treated which allows the long unrefrigerated shelf life as long as the sterile packaging has not been punctured. Once opened it is drastically reduced even when refrigerated. Pasteurized milk (HTST - High Temperature Short Time) on the other hand is also heat treated but at a shorter time which doesn't kill all of the bacteria. This is why UHT is often called sterilized milk.

True fresh milk shouldn't be drank at all as it can pass on bacteria which is harmful to humans.

A lot of the reason that you cannot find fresh milk here is that most or a very high percentage of Asians are Lactose Intolerant. Therefore most milk has been treated and reconstituted so that the majority can drink it without problems. Otherwise they (the stores) would have a spoilage problem which is not bottom line oriented.

Breakfast flavored? New one on me! Maybe it's flavoured to taste like Nasi Lemak? :wink:
OK, so milk exported from Australia to Asian markets has less lactose? It doesn't say that. :???: I've also heard that whole lactose-intolerance thing is greatly exaggerated, kind of an urban legend.

When does it stop being milk and start being 'milk drink'?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:18 pm

Don't get me started on this ! I've just taken milk back to the supermarket- it had appeared to be normal but had a tiny 'banana' flavoured sign on the front that I hadn't seen.
And then I was very careful to get a non-flavoured carton the next time but nah- I got it home and couldn't drink it
either cos it was SO sweet ! In tiny print on the back in 'ingredients' it had sugar listed ! What a load of ****
And then the girl in the supermarket wanted to put the 'returned' milks back on the shelf. I explained to her that they'd been out of the refrigerator. She then asked me why. I explained that I don't normally carry a fridge around with me...ho hum.....
And superglide there's nothing wrong with Aussie milk, although the better producers' don't seem to be available...you're just jealous cos you're probably not 'from the land of plenty' ! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:26 pm

ozchick wrote:Don't get me started on this ! I've just taken milk back to the supermarket- it had appeared to be normal but had a tiny 'banana' flavoured sign on the front that I hadn't seen.
And then I was very careful to get a non-flavoured carton the next time but nah- I got it home and couldn't drink it
either cos it was SO sweet ! In tiny print on the back in 'ingredients' it had sugar listed ! What a load of ****
And then the girl in the supermarket wanted to put the 'returned' milks back on the shelf. I explained to her that they'd been out of the refrigerator. She then asked me why. I explained that I don't normally carry a fridge around with me...ho hum.....
And superglide there's nothing wrong with Aussie milk, although the better producers' don't seem to be available...you're just jealous cos you're probably not 'from the land of plenty' ! :wink:
Exactly! Why are the exporting all this fake stuff here? The people here must want it??

I couldn't figure out why my mashed potatoes sometimes tasted sweet, like maybe the beaters had powdered sugar on them or something. It only happened every once in while, but then, the last time it happened I looked at the label of the milk I used: lots of additives ending in 'ose'.

So now they're putting sugars in our unflavoured milk? What next?

ozchick, that bit about putting it back on the shelf is hysterical. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:32 pm

Far to technical for my shallow mind. So at this point I usually let my fingers do the walking and talking.....

Try these wikipedia articles for more information for a start:

Lactose Intolerance

Pasteurization
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:36 pm

Ozchick,

Wait till you go to Thailand. When there, go into a McDonalds and order a hamburger. The sweetness of the meat will choke you. But, the thai's like it that way so I guess if McD's wants to stay in business they have to modify the product for the market. Everywhere is the same. Products have to be modified for the region. Taste a Cadbury's from the UK and then buy one locally (made in Malaysia) BIG difference.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 2:59 pm

ozchick wrote:And superglide there's nothing wrong with Aussie milk, although the better producers' don't seem to be available...you're just jealous cos you're probably not 'from the land of plenty' ! :wink:
Once you'd taste the milk directly from a farmer in Holland, you're hooked for life.

The land of plenty, eh?

Plenty of stuff I don't fancy! :P
Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 9:39 pm

Superglide wrote:Once you'd taste the milk directly from a farmer in Holland, you're hooked for life.
The mental image cracks me up. Milk comes from cows lah, not farmers! :P

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 9:47 pm

Smartiepants,

Try finding a cow that will let you drink from her! :lol:
Pablo Picasso

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:14 pm

The why do we have dutchlady milk? :P

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The why do we have dutchlady milk? :P
Yes, I've met quite a few heifers from the land of Hering and bitter balls! :lol:
- Thank God for Darwin -

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 1:40 pm

Dutchlady or "Hollands Meisje" as we say in The Netherlands, is just another milk factory, processed milk.

Those of us Dutchies, who so much love their milk, will in most cases get it straight from the farm as said.

And as some of you know, I am not into Dutch ladies anyway! :D
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by cutiebutie » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 3:10 pm

Superglide wrote: And as some of you know, I am not into Dutch ladies anyway! :D
I think it's good that you are proud to be gay! =D>
- Thank God for Darwin -