Singapore Expats

OZ IS PRINTING ! WHOO- HOO !!!!!!!!!!

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

OZ IS PRINTING ! WHOO- HOO !!!!!!!!!!

Post by ozchick » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 1:49 pm

A huge thanks to BIGFILSING and KSL for their help in saving my printer from a possible 4th storey fall ! Thanks to the others who dropped into my post too- every bit helped me to keep trying....

I am absolutely rapt that these 2 guys stuck with me and went to so much trouble to get me printing. I'd hate to ever have to do it again - I reckon Panic Anxiety would set in !
The sound of a printer was never so good ! I owe you big time ! Maybe (as has been suggested by some other posters) I could design a website for you !
Muchas gracias ! Vielen danke ! Merci Beaucoup !
OZ xx
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 9:49 pm

Heh ..thats great news !!!!!!! well done.

Now ....you're not done yet :?
You should create a restore point !!!!!!!! Go to windowns help and find out how........that way if you ever screw things up you can "restore" your laptop to what you have now

Thanks for the thanks too ...you'd be surprised how many people dont bother

Cheers

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:36 pm

What makes you think I would ever screw things up?! :wink:

Actually there's some wierd little message coming up on my desk-top each time I start up now. I'll copy it down next time and see what you make of that ! Maybe it could be our next big 'project' !!! :lol:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:40 am

yeah let us know what the message says.

One of the shortfalls of this forum is that you can't post pictures. ( i kinda understand why as they take up a lot of server space)

that way we can ask you to post screen captures of windows warning messages.
One thing we should have asked you for was the device manager list
Click on the image below

Normally anything giving problems will be highlighted with a yellow exclamation mark

To get to device manager you
click CONTROL PANEL ( make sure it's in classic view ( selectable on top left of window)) then dblclick >SYSTEM the in the properties window dbl click > HARDWARE then click > DEVICE MANAGER
a lot can be learnt here when there's a problem.

Good luck
Last edited by bigfilsing on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bigfilsing » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:17 pm

as the above example worked out with the image hosted ( uploaded to ) image shack lets see if i can help you post images of what your seeing on your PC.
It's a bit of a drag but here goes ( other people have asked me this before)

1. if you want an image of your whole screen press "Print Scrn" key. If you want just the active window press "ALT+Print Scrn" key
(depending on which you chose an image of the active window or whole screen is copied to the clip board)
2. goto Startmenu>Prgorams>Accessories>Paint
3. In paint program click > EDIT>PASTE
( the image is now visible in the paint program main window)
4. Then click >FILE>Save as
5. type in a name for the image and select JPG from the drop down menu below the name input field. Save the image in a suitable folder/location.
6. In your forum post field directly below where you normally type there's a small imput field with a "Browse" button to the right. Click >Browse and select the image you saved in the paint program.
7. the Click > host it! below the input field.
8. You'll now be taken to the host site in a new window . once the image has been uploaded ( remember the speed of your connection will determine how long this takes) your see some options.
9 click on the "thumbnail for forums(1)" it will turn blue. Now right click and select copy.
10. Back in the forum post page ( where you write your post/message)
righclick at the point where you want the picture to appear and select "paste"
You can then continue to write or click submit in the normal way.

Your post will then contain ( as above) an image thumbnail and if clicked the actual image will be shown in a newly opened window.

I'm an active member in some of the linux forums and can assure you the more info you provide the faster your problems are solved.

Good luck

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Post by ozchick » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:47 pm

Mm...you have ways of making me learn ! :wink:
Righteo then- tomorrow I'll wade through those instructions and see what exciting new dilemmas I can create !! He he - will get back to you !
Wouldn't it be funny if I could help someone on this forum one day 8-)
(Sighs, goes nigh-nigh and dreams of enjoying technology)

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”