Singapore Expats Forum

Ex husband seeking compensation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dreaded

Ex husband seeking compensation

Postby dreaded » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:16 pm

I'm just divorced from my husband. When we were together, I actually kept a file of all bills and receipts of costs incurred, e.g. renovation for flat, furniture and applicances.

He is now asking me to pay him back half-half on those things. He said if I didn't pay him back, he would sue me. I've already paid for a portion of those. Is there any way he could sue me if I don't want to pay him?

....... :cry:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 17 Dec 2003 8:43 pm

You'd be better off asking a lawyer, not a website...

...but my 'common sense' opinion would be that divorces split up possessions, not the cost of the possessions. So if you've bought a sofa and a washing machine, then one you gets the sofa and the other the washing machine. He can't just ask you for half the original purchase price because (presumably) that's much more than the actual value.

stratus
Regular
Regular

Postby stratus » Sun, 21 Dec 2003 2:49 am

hmm, i cant provide any legal advises, but sympathise with u. :(

COOLPERSON

EX HUSBAND SEEKING COMPENSATION

Postby COOLPERSON » Mon, 22 Dec 2003 7:01 pm

Hi, at this point, it is better to seek legal advice. AWARE offers free legal consultation on Thurs (if I'm not wrong bimonthly). You can also find out from your neighbourhood cc, they have legal counsel on different day at different place.

I've just gone through my divorce, but not so complicated. There are a few points which I would like to share. You can ask for maintenance. However if he doesn't agree, the court will hear on the anciliary matters (like your asset, your request for maintenance, custody, etc.) and the judge will decide, so keep your receipt. If I'm not wrong, those which were paid entirely by you, will be yours. If you file for divorce, you can ask him to pay 2/3 of the court fees as well. If he file for it, he should bear the whole costs. Also, if need to, you have to be able to show what was your lifestyle during your marriage. The court will then decide on the amount of maintenance.

But for full details, do seek legal counsel.

Good luck, be strong.

dreaded

Re: EX HUSBAND SEEKING COMPENSATION

Postby dreaded » Wed, 31 Dec 2003 2:17 pm

COOLPERSON wrote:Hi, at this point, it is better to seek legal advice. AWARE offers free legal consultation on Thurs (if I'm not wrong bimonthly). You can also find out from your neighbourhood cc, they have legal counsel on different day at different place.

I've just gone through my divorce, but not so complicated. There are a few points which I would like to share. You can ask for maintenance. However if he doesn't agree, the court will hear on the anciliary matters (like your asset, your request for maintenance, custody, etc.) and the judge will decide, so keep your receipt. If I'm not wrong, those which were paid entirely by you, will be yours. If you file for divorce, you can ask him to pay 2/3 of the court fees as well. If he file for it, he should bear the whole costs. Also, if need to, you have to be able to show what was your lifestyle during your marriage. The court will then decide on the amount of maintenance.

But for full details, do seek legal counsel.

Good luck, be strong.

Thanks, cirrusd, jpatokal & coolperson,

will check with AWARE on the matter..really hope to resolve it soon.