Singapore Expats Forum

Help with lease contract

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

lost_in_sg

Help with lease contract

Postby lost_in_sg » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 6:23 am

Hi all,

I am currently staying in a condo, my lease expires in 3 months. The landlord is trying to sell the property. I have a clause in my agreement which states that he has to sell the property with the tenancy.

The landlords agent is stating that in case the agreement validity is less than 6 months, the property cannot be sold with tenancy. is this true?
Also we have been told that the buyer has the right to evict us immediatly or with 2 months notice , can this be done?

Our agreement currently states that only the tenant can give a 2 month termination notice. I basically think the landlord is trying to increase the rent as the price have gone up all around.

Thanks in advance. any help is appreciated.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:27 am

If the landlord is just starting to sell, it is going to take some time to complete the transaction. Since you only have three months left on your lease it is likely to approximately coincide with the sale completion. I am in a similar situation, but from the buyers perspective. We just had an offer accepted and the property has a tenant whose rental agreement expires in February. I accept the rights of the tenant to stay till February regardless of when the sales completes. However, I have the right to re-negotaiate the rental terms when that lease expires - I suspect that you will be in the same situation - my two cents :?

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:28 am

A good discussion with reason may help, instead of getting to talk about your rights.

You would like to extend the lease? Discuss.

You want to leave the place at the end of the lease? Go.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

lost_in_sg

Postby lost_in_sg » Fri, 19 Oct 2007 5:53 am

The landlord has been trying to sell the property from the third month of the lease & we have cooperated with them for the same. From our conversations with the agent it feels as though shes trying to figure out if we are ready to move out immediatly in case of a sale (not all buyers are investors ...).
All taken into consideration, all the agent has to do is ask nicely, not call up the wife and threathen her that the new buyer can evict us immediatly.

Superglide it is this above attitude that we do not appreciate and it is better for us to be prepared for such an eventuality.

P.S. my agent has confirmed with her legal dept. that we can live in peace till the end of our contract. hopefully there is no more trouble :)

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:11 pm

lost_in_sg wrote: All taken into consideration, all the agent has to do is ask nicely, not call up the wife and threathen her that the new buyer can evict us immediatly.

Superglide it is this above attitude that we do not appreciate and it is better for us to be prepared for such an eventuality.

P.S. my agent has confirmed with her legal dept. that we can live in peace till the end of our contract. hopefully there is no more trouble :)

If I was in your situation and the owners agent was acting that way, i would tell the agent in no uncertain terms and a letter if needed, that I would no longer deal with them and for all future communications - go thru my agent - do not contact me at all, this has the added advantage of easily handling viewings as you can tell your agent days and times that are acceptable and set some rules.

I am pretty sure your agent is correct - you have to look at the terms of your rental agreement pretty closely, but this is standard.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 3:45 am

The landlord is trying to sell the property. I have a clause in my agreement which states that he has to sell the property with the tenancy

And that will stand up in any court of law! I have also read about greedy landlords getting roasted in the courtroom, for such behaviour, the agents are mostly at fault here too, although your agent seems to know the ropes!
Sit tight and go down with the ship, many of us have been in the same boat!