Singapore Expats Forum

I'd like to study Chinese in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Pablito
Regular
Regular

I'd like to study Chinese in Singapore.

Postby Pablito » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 5:24 pm

Hi.
Give me some advises on the topic. I've been studying it for 4 days already :)

dingsea

Postby dingsea » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:21 am

4 yrs should be a long time, i guess you already have a fluent spoken chinese:)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 18 Oct 2007 1:41 am

dingsea wrote:4 yrs should be a long time, i guess you already have a fluent spoken chinese:)

4 Years, are you sure? Look a little closer my friend! or better still, throw the glasses away! :lol: Only joking, I presume you are Chinese from the mainland, I can see in my crystal ball, that you are still young, maybe 25 years old, and have not had much practice in reading English. With glasses on i mean.

I had the same problem once and I paid a fortune for my reading glassses, optician made an error which i couldn't see at the time :lol: so that was a waste of money! Now i get the $1.50 ones, much better!

dingsea

Postby dingsea » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:50 am

oh yaya, sorry 4 days, haha
yes i'm a programmer from china and now working in singapore, and i would like learn english from some language exchanges (if there are).
25 is not a yong age i think, it's old for me ,haha.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 12:36 pm

dingsea wrote:25 is not a yong age i think, it's old for me ,haha.

:x

quincylin

Postby quincylin » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 8:22 pm

Q: “How long should it take to become fluent in Chinese?”

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 21 Oct 2007 9:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
dingsea wrote:25 is not a yong age i think, it's old for me ,haha.

:x

Look at it this way. LKY probably considers you a kid. Feel better? :wink:

If I wanted to learn Chinese in Singapore, I'd find some kids or students from the PRC and hang out with them. They speak a purer form of Mandarin than most Chinese teachers in Singapore.

Pablito
Regular
Regular

Postby Pablito » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 12:21 am

Well, what kind of Chinese do you speak then?
What I need first is just to try to make any distans similarity to pronouncing sillables and hear tones (not to see it drawn in paper)
Then I'll continue by myself.
Another point, I'd like to find courses of calligraphy: "There are four pearls in my dwelling: brush, ink, paper and ink-pot." Just show me the way.
Thank you for your answers, thank you for your faith in me.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 3:45 am

Pablito wrote:Well, what kind of Chinese do you speak then?
What I need first is just to try to make any distans similarity to pronouncing sillables and hear tones (not to see it drawn in paper)
Then I'll continue by myself.
Another point, I'd like to find courses of calligraphy: "There are four pearls in my dwelling: brush, ink, paper and ink-pot." Just show me the way.
Thank you for your answers, thank you for your faith in me.

you may wish to consider using this website, I studied myself at this University, it was really hard going, because I had no knowledge at all, those in my class had 3 years study behind them in there respective Universities, I can tell you, not once did they speak English, 20 characters a day is normal to learn stroke order and pronunciation at the Uni. You can order the flash cards 1450 character cards, with stroke order and get the tapes and books, probably from the Singapore branch too!

You can study all the arts, and they also have a branch in Singapore! Although Beijing is very much cheaper! You can also sign up for online tuition, or just use the free demonstrations.

http://www.eblcu.net/newenglish/other/demo.html

tennis_ball

Postby tennis_ball » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:02 am

It is a pity if you end up speaking the level of Chinese used here.
Just as people want to learn English from the natives from America or England, you should start with the standard ones, whatever languages you wanna learn, the same as no one wants to start learning speaking English in the Singlish way. :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 1:16 am

tennis_ball wrote:It is a pity if you end up speaking the level of Chinese used here.
Just as people want to learn English from the natives from America or England, you should start with the standard ones, whatever languages you wanna learn, the same as no one wants to start learning speaking English in the Singlish way. :D

I'm afraid Singlish is part of the heritage of Singapore, it may not be perfect, but it did and does serve a local populace, and is no worse than any other dialect, although to rid the Country of Singlish, is a much larger task, for government, parents and education authorities, so failure is more likely! :lol: