Singapore Expats Forum

Leprosy ? Surely not !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Leprosy ? Surely not !

Postby ozchick » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 9:33 pm

I've seen a few people with some horrid skin condition which I don't think I've ever seen before. It resembles 'bubbles' on the skin. I saw a man on a bus today and he was covered with this most unsightly mess ...I feel sick thinking of it- and so sorry for this person. He could hardly walk and was clearly in much discomfort. Nobody would sit next to him despite the bus being full .
Later I described it to a taxi-driver who said that this was leprosy and not so uncomon here. Surely not ? :cry:
Googling this now.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 9:38 pm

Leprosy still exists in parts of the world; Mongolia is one such place (see 'Lonely Planet' travel guide). Whether that was what you saw in Singapore is debatable.

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 9:57 pm

Was flickin through the TV channels (maybe yesterday?!?) and saw a bit of that President's Star Charity thing on Ch 5 - one of the charities was the Singapore Leprosy Relief Association - so yes there are people out there!

I think the most prevalent "physical ailment" you see in Singapore seems to be people with leg related problems, difficulty walking etc (though still soldiering on regardless).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:48 pm

Were you out in the Clementi/west area? If so, I think I know the guy you are talking about. I see him quite often around the clementi mrt station/town centre in the mornings when I'm going to work. Whole body covered with them including his head. I've often wondered what causes it.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 2:22 pm

if i remembered correctly, there was actually a report on this disease many years back and its not leprosy...

it has something to do with the lymphatic system... and the "bubbles" are actually tumours formed by a mass of anomalous lymphatic vessels that vary in size and are usually greatly dilated and appears within the skin as a small lobulated growth filled with clear fluid... and lymphangioma occurs most frequently in the neck and axilla... or was the report on elephantiasis??

in any case, leprosy as stated in the medical dictionary is a chronic granulomatous infection ... and granulomas are firm, not like bubbles...

hope that helped... i might not be right so don quote me... :P

and sms, how did u know his "whole body" was covered with them?? was he topless? :wink: :P
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Postby CAT777 » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 3:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Were you out in the Clementi/west area? If so, I think I know the guy you are talking about. I see him quite often around the clementi mrt station/town centre in the mornings when I'm going to work. Whole body covered with them including his head. I've often wondered what causes it.

I think i saw this man aswell.

Leprosy cases exist in Singapore. 5 cases were registered in 2000.Incidence of clinically diagnosed dapsone resistant cases averaged 2.9 per thousand. A few who have some or no immunity to leprosy develop clinical disease after an incubation period varying from 3 to 20 years.
Сингапурский котенок

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 4:23 pm

mayamomi wrote:and sms, how did u know his "whole body" was covered with them?? was he topless? :wink: :P

Okay, only assuming as such as his normal attire is baggy short and a loose singlet (can't imagine why) :o

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 4:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay, only assuming as such as his normal attire is baggy short and a loose singlet (can't imagine why) :o

It seems venous bleeding also often occur in these lesions... maybe thats why baggy/loose clothes are better as they will not rub on to them, thus causing them to "burst" ?? maybe its painful when it bleeds, that is assuming thats what he got...
To you, he's a dog...

To me, he's everything...