Singapore Expats Forum

Why are we here and why do we stay - or not.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Reasons for being/staying in Singapore

Company Transfer, pure and simple economics
16%
Personal Choice
37%
Affairs of the heart
5%
My country of origin can't offer me what Singapore can
21%
A springboard to the rest of Asia
21%

Total votes: 19

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Why are we here and why do we stay - or not.

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 6:33 pm

This has probably been done to death in this forum but I'd like to add a different slant to the topic.

Having read through many pages here I find quite a few unsatisfied and disenchanted posters living in Singapore, and that is understandable - different strokes for different folks. This goes for locals as well as for expats.

What I don't understand is staying somewhere where you are completely unhappy simply because of work. :?

I know why I am here, why I came back. The reasons are part work, part family and a large part experience in general. I like Singapore because a part of my family is here and this is part of my make-up, part of why I am who I am. The other part of my family is in Europe, mainly Spain, but also in France and Belgium and the two, Europe and Asia, are so very different.

Singapore offers me what a part of my soul has been lacking. (Which makes it weird that I send most of my time in Bangkok! :-| )

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 7:45 pm

Some responses, how about comments? :D
- Thank God for Darwin -

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 8:10 pm

okies... i'll respond.

I'm from the UK and became disillusioned with the way the country was being run, how we seem to overpay for everything etc etc.

I did look this way for several reasons. One was for the culture of asia. I find it fascinating and also i felt that the level of respect had been lost with the youth in the UK I would find here. Values I suppose more than anything else. Once I looked further into the development of Singapore and asia and the culture and the way of life here I felt I could live here.

The UK also became exceedingly stressful. I earn a decent wage but the cost of living was sky-rocketing. People complain here about the cost of living. Try and live in the UK.

My business is transferable anywhere. As long as I have 2 plug points and an internet connection I can be anywhere.

The truth of the matter is that whilst I have only been here a very short period of time I actually feel at peace. I know that some of the things that I had always had (like freedom of press etc) are not on the quite same level here but to be truthful, thank god. Have you seen the British press!! Wow talk about a dog with a bone! But then again the internet allows you to see whats really going on in the world so I don't feel cut-off.

If business goes well and I am able to stay here I don't think I'd ever return to the UK to live. I like it here and this is certainly the place I want to be.

By the way I'm single with no Dependants so maybe that does make it easier than most on what I have done and my choices for the future. I am also mid :roll: er....... 30's!
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 8:31 pm

By and large I agree with ukdesigner, although for me if I was able to live in Singapore it would provide a useful springboard to the rest of Asia.

Although many complain about the heat, I prefer it rather than the unpredictable nature of it here not to mention sky-rocketing fuel bills to which one government added value added tax (VAT) after saying it would only be on luxuries. I do like the MRT as it is clean cheap and reliable (ask any Londoner about the problems with the underground and how dirty it is). Despite the complaints taxis are cheap which is confirmed by other posts in the forum; if I remember correctly it was around SGD15 from the airport to Dunearn road taking about an hour: same distance in UK by black cab £80-100 :x :( One at least doesn't see youths urinating and vomiting over the street or on buses and there isn't the mindless violence so common here (I could be wrong judging by other posts? - someone may correct me). One young girl who had an English father and a Singaporean mother summed it up; 'when I am in Singapore I wouldn't think twice about walking home at 3am, in London I wouldn't want to be outside."

These are only a few examples but I will save the rest of my rant for another day.
Last edited by Plavt on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:28 pm

Born here, bred here. Have been tempted to work elsewhere but in the end it boils down to family. I always told myself that as long as my parents are around my place is here. Now my dad has gone, bless his soul. Only mum left. After that, who knows...

ps: Didn't vote since the poll wouldn't make sense if locals all started voting.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Re: Why are we here and why do we stay - or not.

Postby ozchick » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:08 pm

[/quote]
The other part of my family is in Europe, mainly Spain, but also in France and Belgium and the two, Europe and Asia, are so very different.
..........................................................................................................
Ah 'cutiebute' no digame ! Puede hablar en espanol no ? Que pasa chica ?!Por que no estas en sud america- o otra pais- no hay nada interesante aqui....
Yes I'm also enjoying Singapore and yes being near family is a big 'positive'.
But personally I'd really like to get my teeth into another Spanish-speaking community again. In some ways, Singapore is not quite 'foreign' enough- and no- I don't want to learn Malay or Mandarin !
Wonder what's worse- people who make horrid nose noises and can't keep left or those who urinate in front of you and drop their rubbish right where they're standing ?

'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:12 pm

Can't get this quote thing! Aghhhhh! It can't be that complicated !

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:19 pm

ozchick wrote:Can't get this quote thing! Aghhhhh! It can't be that complicated !

You mean this? :P :lol:

Just make sure what you want to quote begins and ends like this

[quote="ozchick"] [quote] : a foward slash before the word quote at the end (can't do it here or this wouldn't be visible).

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:13 am

Plavt wrote:
ozchick wrote:Your Text
: a foward slash before the word quote at the end (can't do it here or this wouldn't be visible).

Sure you can. I've entered the forward slash to yours and the example below. Do it like this:

Code: Select all

[quote="Plavt"][quote="ozchick"]Your Text[/quote]  : a foward slash before the word quote at the end (can't do it here or this wouldn't be visible).[/quote]

:mrgreen:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:34 am

Sure you can. I've entered the forward slash to yours and the example below. Do it like this:

Code: Select all

[quote="Plavt"][quote="ozchick"]Your Text[/quote]  : a foward slash before the word quote at the end (can't do it here or this wouldn't be visible).[/quote]

:mrgreen:

#-o You! :x :lol:

remersonh

Postby remersonh » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:39 am

Reasons I came/stay in Singapore?
1. Sick of NYC &!@%$&*&$s (fill in your own favorite description of rude people!)
2. Helps my retirement plan move along. (Better economics.)
3. Family - with a bro in China, I now how relatives closer than I did living in NYC.
4. TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES!!! I would never have visited India or Bali (so far) or Bangkok, China, Cambodia, Nepal, Vietnam (coming soon) if I were facing 12-24 hours of travel time for each visit.[/list]

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 7:03 am

Originaly was being asked by a former company to come to Singapore for a job. Did it, went back to my homecountry for one year, then came back to Singapore again.

One almost starts to think I like it here...

Looking at going back to Europe, but not my homecountry, eyeing Italy instead.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:48 pm

OK plavt and sms- gonna practise my quotes now. Not sure either of you should be in the teaching game but here goes. See next entry.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:49 pm

[quote="ozchick"OK plavt and sms- gonna practise my quotes now. Not sure either of you should be in the teaching game but here goes. See next entry.[/quote]

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:53 pm

This is NOT funny ! Going to eat chocolate now and you 2 boys are sacked !
Anyone who can cope with ozchick's inability to use quotes on this site- step up ! Maybe speak a language I can understand or put it in point form. (Sighs and goes to check fridge status). All efforts greatfully acknowledged but not sms or plavt. One of them's a yank and the other's Russian- what hope have I got ?! :wink: