Singapore Expats Forum

Report on Singapore 2007

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 7:18 am

KSL,
I agree with some of the stuff you say and being from the UK, I like to think I have an understanding of what is happening.
A lot of politicians in our country are corrupt...but they have been doing it for so long, they can get good at hiding it and when caught, then they are great at getting weird and wonderful excuses.
The press is diabolical in the UK and the way some of them operate is shameful and not even human.
The feeling in the country was an election was to be had after being looked into by the labour party....why did they look into it and then cancel...were they interested in the people....of course not, only themselves and their fat pay packets.
There is discipline here, death penalty, and you know where you stand and that is not a bad thing...there is absolutely no discipline in the UK, it has disappeared with all the political correctness bullshit...the country is in a mess...murders, stabbings, shootings are common place and the average person in the UK has a lot of debt...which the government encouraged with loose laws on lending.
You can llive your life here and feel fairly secure and comfortable...but can you say the same about the UK??
Send all singaporeans over to the Uk for a year on an exchange visit and NOT many would want to stay!!

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 11 Oct 2007 7:46 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7034317.stm

Right at the bottom of this article is states the paltry sentences handed down to corrupt police officers and this is happening today in the UK!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 3:25 am

jockney wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7034317.stm

Right at the bottom of this article is states the paltry sentences handed down to corrupt police officers and this is happening today in the UK!

Christ I almost had that long for non payment of child benefit, when i lost my job back in the 80's first time and not even a criminal offence and all because i lived abroad, the clerk of the court was the culprit giving the sentence not the Magistrates, he asked them the magistrates, to set an example to other divorced hubbies living abroad.

You can understand why I hate the F=====g people that run the Country, and the system, yes the UK is totally corrupt, and i've seen it all too often from in the police and local authority.

Anarchy is definately on the streets of UK today and there are no prisons at all with free space, they are long filled up, all the criminals know this and take advantage of it.

Murderers, child rapists, and other high profile criminals are being released early to make more room, its really beyond belief. Singapore is pure paradise!

One leading party is enough for me, because i never take political sides anyway, and knowing a little history of Singapore from the late 60's, when i was stationed here, tells me they have done a very good job here in Singapore, it might be boring, and they may not have a social welfare system, they work hard, most have a home, and people do look out for those that really need help!

The UK in the working class areas, is a little like the film, "Blade Runner" all the vermin come out when the lights go out! The middle class never see what goes on, and the authorities are too busy with their cash cows, parking fines and other indirect taxes to give a damn, The police too are more concerned with financial targets than policing.

I have seen the coward Police force in action over a 30 year period from 1977 in my own backyard, after my tours in Ireland in the early 70's, I new, if i didn't leave my area, I would be imprisoned for taking the law into my own hands, by that i mean I would have killed some of the vermin, its just been left to breed and 5 young 20 year old lifers are off the estate were i am originally from, for murder, drugs and gang warfare related incident.

Society couldn't give a toss about their next door neighbours any longer, and the police are only effective at shooting innocent people, and handing out fines.

Like most Countries these days, you need lots and lots of money to get out of the cess pit, and even half a million is not much, when 15 year olds are pulling a hundred grand a year in drug money. Manchester paper!

Give me Singapore any day for peace and quite!

Blade Runner:

Deckard

"Tell him I'm eating."
"I was quit when I came in here. I'm twice as quit now."
"Replicants are like any other machine. They're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."
"I'm Deckard. Blade Runner. Two sixty three-fifty four. I'm filed and monitored."
"I don't get it Tyrell, how can it not know what it is?"
"Memories, you're talking about memories."
Revealing to Rachel that her memories are fake, that the picture of her mother is fake and that of course, she's a Replicant: "You ever tell anyone that? Your mother, Tyrell? They're implants. Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's. OK, bad joke, I'm sorry... No, really, I made a bad joke. Go home, you're not a Replicant... (sigh) you wanna drink? I'll get you a drink."
"I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming."
"One more question. You're watching a stage play. A banquet is in progress. The guests are enjoying an appetizer of raw oysters. The entree consists of boiled dog...". (The question on the Voight-Kampf test that Rachel "fails" when she gives no answer. It normally takes 20-30 questions before a Replicant "fails" one, exposing itself, but it took over 100 before Rachel "failed" this one).

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 9:33 am

I think you're all missing the point - this was a 'dis Singapore' thread and you have hijacked it to highlight 'civilised' countries negative sides. Gee, guys, get it right!

:D

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 9:56 am

Missing the point....I think not...it was a report about Singapore from Amnesty international....portraying Singapore as not too nice....Well the real truth is Singapore is ok and other countries....that Amnesty has not written reports on are far worse!
Hijacked....how?
Comparisons with so called civilised countries is not allowed then and we are to believe everything Amnesty writes???
Come on now.... :wink:

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:22 am

ksl takes any opportunity to rant on UK.

Nothing new there.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 1:00 am

Superglide wrote:ksl takes any opportunity to rant on UK.

Nothing new there.

yup its true, where's the wooden spoon, looks like I have put my foot in the poo!

OK its just my opinion, that before you can agree with the link, then one must in some way or another, look at some comparisons, I came to the conclusion, that Singapore is pretty good, for me, and i break the rules almost every day, within reason, because of my anarchistic mentality to some of the rules, if i get punished, i will have deserved it under the eyes of the law, but at least you have a society, that is also based on the UK, don't forget where it all came from, it could be much worse or it could be much better.

Singapore holds tight onto the reigns of the people, and they have too, otherwise the region becomes unstable.......and it wouldn't be the first time, or would you rather see yourself living in a kampong eating bananas, maybe the clock should be turned back, to see what it was like, in the past in Singapore, was it better or worse?

Some of the laws they have here in Singapore, would be a god send for many European Countries, Anti-social behaviour for one, would be quickly cleaned up, if they were caned.

I'm actually wondering why you posted this link, maybe that would shed some light on what kind of response you are looking for?

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:53 am

ksl wrote:...and it wouldn't be the first time, or would you rather see yourself living in a kampong eating bananas, maybe the clock should be turned back, to see what it was like, in the past in Singapore, was it better or worse?

Wow, that is a way to defend an authoritarian regime. :roll:

ksl wrote:I'm actually wondering why you posted this link, maybe that would shed some light on what kind of response you are looking for?

Why I posted this one?

Because this is a forum about Singapore.

At times I wonder whether you are under the impression it is about the UK actually.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:03 am

Superglide wrote:
ksl wrote:...and it wouldn't be the first time, or would you rather see yourself living in a kampong eating bananas, maybe the clock should be turned back, to see what it was like, in the past in Singapore, was it better or worse?

Wow, that is a way to defend an authoritarian regime. :roll:

ksl wrote:I'm actually wondering why you posted this link, maybe that would shed some light on what kind of response you are looking for?

Why I posted this one?

Because this is a forum about Singapore.

At times I wonder whether you are under the impression it is about the UK actually.

I don't defend regimes, I live with them and survive, doesn't mean that I agree with them, like i said, I'm more of an anarchist, and my will to be myself, is much more powerful, than, religion, or being brainwashed by any regime, not just my own. I decided at a young age to be the rebel that i am. I also learnt at an early age, to ride the waves, not jump into them.

Impressions can be very misleading, like the one that followed the muck cart and thought it was a wedding :lol: No offense meant! Its just that in my opinion if more political cooks where playing the game, things would be even worse, than they are, here in Singapore!

Because a club is not a club, without people, that don't follow the rules, this is to say, if you want to be a part of the political field, then don't rock the boat! Its a pitty that only the unfortunates, that are not included in the power sharing, want to complain, to be noticed, to be remembered, for their loyal human rights fight, their 5 minutes on the podium! And you really believe, they are doing it for democracy

But what Singapore have achieved in the last 40 years, is because of a dedication, to clean the place up, the difference between those, that have, and those, that have nothing is all too familiar with many Countries, that are truely suffering.

Show me another Country, that as progressed so much in so little time? Its true to say, they have quite a grip on the multi-nationals, although with time I believe, they may relinquish their hold, but its better to have one party you know, rather than a handful you don't know, because if truth was told, its all about power, to line ones own pockets, in other words, no matter what country one is living, there is always corruption, although how it is interpreted, is not for joe bloggs on the street to know.

Laws are made, by those that run countries on behalf of the voters(sheep), although, those playing the political games, are really salesmen, (wolves)selling their own crap to get a piece of the cake! I Don't believe they are all Nelson Mandelas.

Still, you haven't really said anything about Singapore, all you have done is post a link, and made very little comment about it, I just don't get your point, if you want a debate, give something to debate about here in Singapore like what is it in the report that you find so bad, all of it, is it!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 3:58 am

ksl wrote:Still, you haven't really said anything about Singapore, all you have done is post a link, and made very little comment about it, I just don't get your point, if you want a debate, give something to debate about here in Singapore like what is it in the report that you find so bad, all of it, is it!

A report is to be read and for people to agree or disagree; superglide is right to post only a link as it cannot be copy pasted for copyright reasons. :-|