Singapore Expats Forum

New Zealand holiday

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

TAJ
Regular
Regular

New Zealand holiday

Postby TAJ » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:29 pm

We have the our flights booked for a New Zealand Christmas and are now deciding whether to do the motor home tour around North & South islands, or have a brief drive around the South before heading up to the Bay of Islands to charter a yacht and explore by sea. Any Kiwis reading who are willing to advise on how to make the most of 2 weeks in their beautiful country? Thx

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:44 pm

While not a Kiwi, I can give you some advice. I would not suggest renting a caravan to do it unless you have had experience driving a caravan in strong cross winds in the mountains. Too many tourists have been blown off the road due to insufficient experience with a caravan. If you are going to try it, please be careful and do not let distractions get to you (like scenery for instance).

Most of all enjoy you hols!

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Postby TAJ » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:53 pm

Thank you for your wise words! I'm sure you are not suggesting that Kiwi's suffer from a wind problem! But seriously, the web sites indicate that the motorhome is a popular way to explore the country - the freedom of the open road, back to nature and all that! I'm just not sure whether 2 weeks in a motorhome with 2 boys of 8 & 10 would result in 'bonding' or strangulation though!

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Postby TAJ » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 1:29 am

There must be some Kiwis or well - seasoned travellers out there who can offer some advice - I would really appreciate it! Thx

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 8:26 am

We did a driving hoilday of the south island a few years back, although not in a motor home. It was gorgeous and we loved it, but it was more driving than we bargained for. Destinations that were a one or two hundred kilometers away on a map, could take 8 hours of driving because of mountains, etc... But the scenery was truly beautiful. If you rent a caravan, you'll have less opportunity to enjoy the hospitality of the New Zealanders, and this would be a tragedy. We stayed in little inns and farms stays and it was wonderful. Consider the flight over the glaciers and the over night trip on the boat in Milford Sound, breathtaking!

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:34 am

Hmm, my brother and his wife did the caravan thing around the South Island last year and didn't have any troubles at all. If anything they enjoyed the hospitality of the Kiwis and of course the countryside, though the food is quite basic and heavy.

Take in the area around Wanaka and Queenstown (I spent two weeks there two years ago and loved it) you will love the place. The glaciers and so on. A lot of driving and Kiwis drive relatively slow and safe, something we obviously simply cannot do here.
:D

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:57 pm

The drive around the SI and then the sailing in the Bay of Islands would be my choice. Either motor home (not caravan) or car and stay in motels would be fine. Sounds like you will be there in the height of the holiday season so bear that in mind if you are going to use motels.

Start from Christchurch, do the southern bit and then head up the west coast. You can fly from Nelson. As mentioned journeys can be deceptively long but the scenery can be spectacular.

Summer seems to have moved out to Jan / Feb so be prepared for some cooler temps, especially in the south.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:34 am

Hve you tried booking anything yet? You may find your options limited. It is peak holiday period in NZ for Dec/Jan being the main school summer holidays there at that time. I suggest doing it asap if you haven't already.

South Island is beautiful but fairly hard terrain in some parts if you are not used to driving a campervan etc. It is more scenic in some ways that the north, and less to do for kids, although Queenstown has lots of action things worth doing. North Island is gorgeous too, Bay of Islands and Paihia is wonderful and also south of Auckalnd there is Rotorua, Taupo, and on the east Napier etc. North may be better for your boys as there are a few more touristy things to do.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown