Singapore Expats

neighbor n landlord problem

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:00 pm
Location: Singapore

neighbor n landlord problem

Post by color_color » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a foreigner Female ,currently staying in a private appartment.I have rented my room to another lady.One day my neighbor staying in the groundfloor knocked my door and complained that there was water dripping at her Master room. I gave her my landloards contact and she left. After 3weeks i suddenly see that i am not receiving any water. Finally i came to know that some body is closing the main water tap from were the water flows to my house.I assume that this is a offense and this could also lead to short circuite of my AC or electric points. They have repeted it twice and my land lord says us not to use the restroom as she is going away for holidays.She say that my room mate should to not use the rest room for 3weeks. Once she gets back then she will look into the problem and another week to repair it.We pay a rent of 2300SGD.She says she will reimbure 100$ for this prob!

I feel she is not taking responsibility to act quickly.I feel adjusting for 2-3days during the repair is possible and perhaps wen my roommate has paid the room rent , she should get her privacy of using the room.My land lord is saying that if the room mate does not agree not to use the rest room, let her leave. I feel this is unfair deal.

Can i call the police in case they stop the water flow to my house? also , how do i talk to my landlord who is so stubbon. Pls advise.

User avatar
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 2:56 pm
Location: In a spacious appartment

Post by Superglide » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 1:17 pm

Get a lawyer quickly...
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

User avatar
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 3:24 pm
Location: West coast

Post by sillingw » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 2:38 pm

if you are staying in a condo complex, contact the management commitee, they are obliged and authorized to fix the problem and charge the registered owner - if it's a private apartment with no central management, then yes - get a lawyer quickly.

Posts: 118
Joined: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:36 am

Re: neighbor n landlord problem

Post by phil30k » Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:50 am

I'm responding a little late here.

Basically the owners have to get together to solve the problem.

I am guessing that water to your unit has been shut off by the landlord's contractor for testing purposes or to ameliorate any water damage to the unit below which may complicate the repairs/damages claims.

However, this may only be done with your consent.

If you have not been informed or have not given your consent, just step out the back door and locate the water meter and turn it back on. There is no reason why you may not do that.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests