Singapore Expats Forum

Switzerland, safe haven, or xenophobic example

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Switzerland, safe haven, or xenophobic example

Postby Superglide » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 2:52 pm

Below the banner of the SVP, a leading Swiss party, battling for power in Switzerland.

How would you translate this, 3 white sheep kicking out the black one?

The text "sicherheit schaffen", translates as: "create security".
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 3:34 pm

Isn't the SVP the rightest most part in the Swiss Gov't. While it (the Gov't) is showing some signs of stretching at the seams the SVP still only have 2 out of 7 seats correct? That, a majority doesn't make. At least not yet. The older more sensible heads are being put out to pasture. This eventually will make a new ballgame altogether won't it. Same everywhere isn't it.

Of course, I'd have to say the SVP's advertising agency looks like their forefathers were from Germany in the '30's though. Bit over the top, the double entendre and the three primary colours, I would have to agree.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 7:05 pm

Come to think of it, what is the origin of the term 'black sheep' anyway?

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 07 Oct 2007 7:20 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Come to think of it, what is the origin of the term 'black sheep' anyway?

http://www.bartleby.com/cgi-bin/texis/webinator/sitesearch?query=Black+Sheep&filter=col81&Submit=Go

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/66250.html

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Isn't the SVP the rightest most part in the Swiss Gov't. While it (the Gov't) is showing some signs of stretching at the seams the SVP still only have 2 out of 7 seats correct? That, a majority doesn't make. At least not yet. The older more sensible heads are being put out to pasture. This eventually will make a new ballgame altogether won't it. Same everywhere isn't it.

Of course, I'd have to say the SVP's advertising agency looks like their forefathers were from Germany in the '30's though. Bit over the top, the double entendre and the three primary colours, I would have to agree.

Yeah, it is amazing to see how xenophobia is getting roots again in a lot of European countries these days. Historical awareness seems to be part of the short term memory only and more an more countires have political parties in the extreme right spectrum, who are openly racist and xenophobic.

When living here in Singapore, with its multi cultural and multi racial society (I know, below the surface, there are also racist emotions here...), it is even more sad to see this happen. For me it is one of the reasons for not really being eager to go back in the soon future.

Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 3:31 pm

It is interesting to see the Swiss (SVP) use a poster like this when arguable Switzerland is a black sheep in Europe.

I think Switzerland has one of the highest immigrant population in Europe and the SVP is being a populist party now. I don't think it has much to do with xenophibia or even racism because it is too easy to use those words and be labelled as such.

Simple; Politics and votes.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 4:04 pm

Xenophobia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

Yes, politics and votes, yes populist, yes xenophobic.

Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 6:01 pm

Superglide wrote:Xenophobia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

Yes, politics and votes, yes populist, yes xenophobic.

Thank you for the definition :D : Xenophobia is a fear or contempt of foreigners or strangers

I think it is a more pragmatic approach and xenophobia doesn't necessarily come into it. Politics is getting votes and the poster doesn't imply that non-Swiss are to be feared or contemptible. It implies that they are outsiders and should remain so.

Semantics maybe, but important semantics as the brush you are wielding is easily misused. :wink: