Singapore Expats Forum

Speaking of Dogs......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Speaking of Dogs......

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 7:15 pm

Have you ever noticed that, almost without fail, people who post signs in Bus Stops and Bulletin boards about their lost doggies invariably say that the dog is undergoing medication, or needs surgery, or has a rare disorder and is on a expensive medication?

To me that only means that they must not take very good care of their dogs. And why is it that these dogs who are sick have so much energy to run away? Most of the sicks dogs I've ever seen just curl up in a corner and kind of just lay around till they get better.

It sound like the owners mistreat the dogs and that causes the dogs to run away at the first chance they get. If anything is wrong with the dog at all it's probably just tired of getting beaten for any and every little thing.

Okay, Rant over!

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:39 pm

I think they do it so that anybody thinking of keeping the dog decides it's not worth it.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 11:13 pm

seasider wrote:I think they do it so that anybody thinking of keeping the dog decides it's not worth it.

I don't give them much in the common sense category either, but surely they can't believe the signs when all of them say virtually the same thing. At best, they would just let the dog go (unless the sign said reward?) :roll:

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:29 am

Yeah, when one of my kits went missing I was advised to put "reward offered" on the posters. Also not to be specific. I have heard of somebody ringing up a person to ask how much. Money talks, eh? :(

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:40 am

Offering a reward must be a Singaporean idiosyncrasy then. :roll:

Sometimes I do wonder when reading some posts here at how much testosterone is flowing through tough expats veins. Amazingly tough people, until they get back home and realise that they are just middle aged and middle class and would get fair retribution for their behaviour.

But then their behaviour is different, of course.

(And this goes for some of the expat women as well)

It must be good to be tough when away from home. double- :roll:

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:57 am

Where on earth did I say it was a Singapore thing? Don't put words into my mouth to suit your own agenda.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:07 pm

Why would I have an 'own agenda' on this topic?

I am presuming, clearly incorrectly, that you live in Singapore and were relating your experience here. Now I know that you are in Norway I apologise. :)

(I would never think of putting anything in your mouth. O:) )

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:13 pm

Why are so many discussions on here aimed at people in a negative light?
open mind is a valuable asset I believe?
I think some people believe they do it alright and others do it all wrong eh?
Why would anyone want to take a swipe at someone trying to find a lost pet? :???:
The fact they are trying to find it shows some form of responsibility?
What is it in me thats annoying me enough that I would point the finger at someone else?...well I get annoyed at people condemning people for simply trying!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:57 pm

I've come to realise after enough of these expat-local tiffs that perhaps one of the greatest uses of this board is to help us Singaporeans see with foreign eyes the many areas we could improve that we would otherwise take for granted, and for expats to test the authenticity of your proclaimed belief that no single race or culture is superior to another, as evidenced by your reactions to little everyday things.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 12:59 pm

I can't answer for sms and I'm not sure what prompted his little rant but my own comments (not rants) are based on experience - both personal and from close friends. Yes in Singapore, because it's the only place so far that I've had a pet go missing for any length of time. People in the local area were very helpful and my cat came back of her own accord anyway (think she'd been shut in somewhere, she was starving and dehydrated) but I have friends who have not been so fortunate. I'm sure the same could be said all over the world; people are people.

cutiebutie - yes, you're right, your agenda has absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 1:32 pm

It is sad state of human nature that pet owners have to resort to subterfuge to try to appeal to people to help. Why can't the truth be told? Why can't we just be honest and say our pet has gone missing and is sorely missed by all in the family. Why do people have to always covet what belongs to someone else. What kind of person steal someones pet? That person will end up just dumping the pet once they tire of it. Seasider knows exactly what I mean here. How many kits over the years now?

Why my rant? I don't know. Maybe I'm missing my little calico who disappeared without a trace (8 or 9 years). Maybe I miss my dog who died a couple of years ago (after 14 years). Maybe I'm just getting tired. Maybe human nature (as exhibited in large cities) is weighing me down. Yesterday, while waiting for the bus I saw yet another of these signs with the same crap written and it just chuffed me that people can be so cruel (the ones who steal the pets). Then I just get mad because the owners have to try to trick people into being honest, thoughtful, caring citizens.

And now....... my rant on the human condition has turned into a we versus them spat AGAIN! Such thin skins. How would you all like it if I blew up every time one of you started US bashing? I'd always be in a dander! :x

Give it a rest. :wink:

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 1:45 pm

I have learnt in my short life thus far that if I dont like what someone is doing....dont do it and then try and set an example instead of knocking people. Let others have the right to do as they wish, live their own lives and make their own mistakes.
As far as us and them goes...who is us and who is them ? I am not us and I am not them I have learnt also....I am me! and the plural of that is WE!
US AND THEM is for insecure wee people trying to feed their insecurities?

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 1:49 pm

You're right, jockney.

sms - this week's pavement cat is a beautiful mostly black young adult with a white nose and paws. I think he must be Fu's half-brother. Very tame and cuddly, and nowhere near as stinky as Fu was when he decided to move off the pavement and into the house.

Hmmm, I have your address somewhere :D

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 3:03 pm

Lots of assumptions flying around here!

And frankly, what's wrong with rewarding someone who has found a lost pet? I would certainly offer some kind of reward.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 3:37 pm

If a pet is lost and a picture is put up then the reason for this must be that the collar has been lost and the owner not contactable nor known.

I have never heard of anyone saying they would only return a pet if they get money.

The first time I saw 'reward' posters was in the US. I see nothing wrong with that and I think sms needs his pepto bismal. :D