Singapore Expats Forum

Help, Dog sitter needed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Rachi

Help, Dog sitter needed

Postby Rachi » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 4:18 pm

Help, I have a 4 month old pup i need to find a dog sitter for. The problem is that she has been terribly unwell and i have been advised that she cannot be with a dog sitter who cares for other dogs as her immune system is extremely weak and can pick up bugs that normal healthy dogs can fight themselves and show no signs of illness from. These bugs will make her really sick. Can anyone advise of any dog sitters at the moment who may be able to help i.e no other dogs at present.
Also on another note i would also like the dog sitter who will treat her well, will not confine her and will not smack her if she is naughty but will keep up with our training methods.
Thanks for anyone who can help recommend someone

Rachi

Forgot to say

Postby Rachi » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 7:34 pm

I forgot to mention that it is only for 1 week in November as I have to return back to the UK.

basil

Postby basil » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 5:02 pm

Hi,

Sorry I can't help with your dog (I already have one) but I just wanted to check the advice you have came from a vet?

I only ask because all the illnesses dogs contract Parvo, KC etc can be carried just as easily via people (from their shoes, body etc).
So i'm confused why the advice would be to steer clear of other dogs (especially healthy vaccinated ones)

4 months is such a crucial age for a pup that limiting its interaction with dogs completely during this period could give you really big problems later.

What has the vet advised to strengthen her immune system? Im assuming she is not yet vaccinated (as presumably could not take the small does of illness given in a vaccine form?)

Their are bus everywhere - it must be very worrying for you to leave her while she is unable to fight them.
I'm sorry I can't help more - I just wanted to check you had all the info from your vet?

Humour_Me

Postby Humour_Me » Tue, 09 Oct 2007 6:14 pm

Hi Rachi,

Did you find someone yet? I know someone who may be able to help. Maybe you can leave me a private message here.

Cheers,
HM

Rachi

Postby Rachi » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:59 am

Hi Basil,

Yeah, the advice came from the vet, my puppy had/has Kennel Cough at the moment and it was in it's later stages turning to Pneumonia when we got her so she has been on Medication for a while the poor thing, I asked the vet what was the best thing to do with her while wewere away in November (it is an unexpected trip home for family crisis) and she said not to put her with a dog sitter who takes on other dogs for 2 reasons, 1) she is not fully vaccinated yet and can' be becaus eof her illness and 2) because she has been so ill she will probably pick up any little thing that other dogs may carry. Apparently she isn't contagious anymore as the virus has gone or something like that but it is just precautionary.

Rachi

Postby Rachi » Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:01 am

HM,

Thanks for your post, i am unable to PM you as i haven't made enough post's yet, could you tell me a bit more about the person you are recommmending, is it someone you know personally or a dog sitter?