Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Work Permit Application and Religion?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 2:09 pm

:oops!: :-$

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 2:37 pm

You're lucky this is a closed forum and members have to register or you would be homeward bound by now.

Long live LKY!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 3:16 pm

cutiebutie wrote:... you would be homeward bound by now.

Actually, he can't wait!

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 3:40 pm

Ah, then more subversive comments please

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Postby DimWit Kid » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 4:13 pm

I think I really am intrigued by this cutiebutie... Let's see... sms said she must be hot (although she admits she has no butt like j-lo's) since she's eurasian... she's also a feisty defender of singapore way!

Way to go cutie... I'll keep watching... and imagining... and.. and...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 7:08 pm

DWK,

Back off now! I'm the resident dirty ole man here! :P

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 7:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Singapore Work Permit Application and Religion?

Postby Superglide » Fri, 05 Oct 2007 3:10 pm

airpiratehkg wrote:I am applying for a Singapore work permit. I am properly sponsored by my company so, I do not expect approval to be an issue. What confuses me is why is Singapore asking what my religion is? Form 8 specifically asks for religion. I would expect this of a countries such as Saudi Arabia, Iran or 1930-1940's Germany. I never expected this of Singapore. I though Singapore was a totaly secular governement?? Maybe not? Hmmm... The country I currently reside in (Hong Kong) did not ask such questions nor, do they care.

I like Singapore and the lifestyle there but, I find things like this very odd for such a cosmopolitan country. Seems a bit "back ward (no offense intended). The only historical purpose to make people specify their religious faith has been to opress them based on those beliefs.

May I ask where you are from originally?

If Europe, I think you should really cool down and have a good look at how this society here is waaaaaay more tolerant when it comes to religion, than in any European country, where xenophobia is a commodity, a "must be" these days.

You're filling in the reason for asking about religion with assumptions, that in fact only tell what you think yourself about religion.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

SinghaPoor

Postby SinghaPoor » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 6:37 am

Hi all,

I am waiting for the EP, and have also seen these two questions about religion and race. I didn't really pay too much attention to them. However I understood from one of the replies in this thread that the religion (as filled on the EP form) appears on your Singapore ID!!! Can anyone please confirm this to me? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent that? Actually I have sent the form with all the requested documents to my company last week and I think they will apply only next week (the person in charge is on leave this week). Do you think I can ask them to add a note asking for the religion not to be written on my ID? I am so stupid, I should have put NA in the answer!!! :?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 8:01 am

SinghaPoor wrote:Hi all,

I am waiting for the EP, and have also seen these two questions about religion and race. I didn't really pay too much attention to them. However I understood from one of the replies in this thread that the religion (as filled on the EP form) appears on your Singapore ID!!! Can anyone please confirm this to me? If so, is there anything I can do to prevent that? Actually I have sent the form with all the requested documents to my company last week and I think they will apply only next week (the person in charge is on leave this week). Do you think I can ask them to add a note asking for the religion not to be written on my ID? I am so stupid, I should have put NA in the answer!!! :?

Religion is NOT put on any ID, nor in your passport stamps. For your PR ID, you will have your race and nationality listed. You don't actually get an EP ID as such. What you do get is a stamp in your passport, two actually, one being a mutiple re-entry permit, the other a work permit. Then you get a green card which is your re-entry card when you go through immigration.

Perhaps it is different if you are Muslim, I don't know.

SinghaPoor

Postby SinghaPoor » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks Strong Eagle for the answer! :wink: