Singapore Expats Forum

Protest against the Myanmar Govt

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:05 pm

rhino wrote:
BearHug wrote:
rhino wrote:If you are on Facebook you can join the "Support the Monks' protest in Burma" group. 108,657 members and counting.

Thanks Rhino! :D

Now 265,000 members fyi...

Have they accomplished anything yet? ](*,) That's what I though.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:16 pm

Didn't the junta block internet access in Myanmar because it was influencing their citizens too much? I'm sure an online petition won't save the world but it is a voice that is heard globally. For me the question is not whether it will change things in Myanmar, but what would it say of the rest of the world if we didn't at least say something? And yes, I just added my name to the Facebook petition.

Actually I'm quite surprised at SE's and SMS' response, not in a negative way, just genuinely surprised. I remember SMS and I had an exchange once in which I questioned the effectiveness of complaining about Singapore's weaknesses on this forum instead of getting out there and doing something about it, and your response was that just saying it is important, and saying it often enough will get the view across to someone somewhere sometime. So I'm surprised that the roles now seem reversed.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:02 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Didn't the junta block internet access in Myanmar because it was influencing their citizens too much? I'm sure an online petition won't save the world but it is a voice that is heard globally. For me the question is not whether it will change things in Myanmar, but what would it say of the rest of the world if we didn't at least say something? And yes, I just added my name to the Facebook petition.

Actually I'm quite surprised at SE's and SMS' response, not in a negative way, just genuinely surprised. I remember SMS and I had an exchange once in which I questioned the effectiveness of complaining about Singapore's weaknesses on this forum instead of getting out there and doing something about it, and your response was that just saying it is important, and saying it often enough will get the view across to someone somewhere sometime. So I'm surprised that the roles now seem reversed.

Hi WIMH,

Long time no chat. The point I was trying to make is this: 100,000 people signing up on Facebook generates what? A mass movement that causes Presidunce Bush to take strong action? Causes the junta to say, "oh, gee! We best get our act together?"

On the one hand I appreciate the fact that people are letting their opinions be known, and that there are a large number of people opposed to the actions in Burma.

OTOH, posting a Facebook protest doesn't mean anything. Really want to get active. Donate money to the support groups that are enabling the protests in Burma. Finance or create an internet anonymizer to protect the people in Burma. Be a tourist, go to Burma and raise a stink, and get deported after raising international headlines... caution... requires a brain and guts.

Sorry to sound cynical, but I equate signing up in Facebook as 100,000 people who bitch about George Bush but cannot be bothered to actually vote, because, "you know", it's already decided.

Cheers.

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:31 pm

Does joining a group on Facebook have a direct impact? No. There are posted on the group page however actions that people can take, including petitioning/boycotting companies operating in Burma, and providing details of protests or gatherings being held worldwide. I agree with you Strong Eagle though that if you feel about it strongly enough that you should stump up with the cold hard cash.

Don't really agree with the "get on a plane, go there and raise some hell" approach though. If anything I think a more appropriate action would be the cessation of flights into Burma, and withdrawing the landing rights of Burmese airlines at foreign airports. I look forward to hell freezing over before that happens however :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Oct 2007 11:51 pm

As can be seen in the news, most if not all of the internet access had been stopped for the citizens of Myanmar. The only people who have that at the moment is the generals. They have shown the entire world that they don't really give a rat's butt what the rest of the world thinks for the past 40+ years. So who cares what's on the web when the people who need to see it can't. That's the difference between my former discussion here regarding Singapore and the situation in Myanmar. It's two completely different kettles of fish. At least the public still has access to the outside world here so you can find out what is happening. They don't. Their media is so stifled that it's just a joke. Not really much different than North Korea is it.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 8:42 am

Facebook is good for the conscious...if it makes you feel better so be it. at the very least it's helping to raise awareness.

but ultimately
i think what SMS / SE are describing is the Paris Hilton effect (for lack of a better word)...people will sign up for something not because they actually care or want to do something but because it's the cool thing to do.
So they sign up for this facebook page but when Myanmar is no longer in the news, people stop really caring (for Americans).