Singapore Expats Forum

Protest against the Myanmar Govt

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

inkjetprinter

Protest against the Myanmar Govt

Postby inkjetprinter » Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:05 pm

After watching the Myanmar junta beating up and killing the protestors in Myanmar. And we are sitting here in Singapore not being able to do a damn thing, I decide to write in to protest against the Myanmar government.

The Myanmar Ambassador email address as shown on MFA website is:

ambassador@mesingapore.org.sg

Anyone else has better suggestions?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:17 pm

What makes you think he/she/they will listen? :(

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 9:52 am

Well, at least OP does something, easy to say it would not make any difference on beforehand. :?

It is once again appalling to see how much ASEAN only is after economic interests, although there is a sparke of hope, now that ASEAN has spoken out loud against Myanmar yesterday.

But still, China won't act and will speak out against sanctions in the UN.

India, which holds very strong military relations with Myanmar, doesn't do a single thing, so USA and EU are pretty much on their own and except for sanctions as visa bans and frozen assets of the top generals of the Myanmar Junta, nothing much can be done.

Let's hope things change for the better and indeed the Myanmar brutal regime will be forced to stand down and give up after 45 years of brutal rule.

George Yeo, being the chairman of ASEAN and now in NY for the UN general meetings, has some work to do I'd say.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Protest against the Myanmar Govt

Postby huggybear » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 11:09 am

inkjetprinter wrote:After watching the Myanmar junta beating up and killing the protestors in Myanmar. And we are sitting here in Singapore not being able to do a damn thing, I decide to write in to protest against the Myanmar government.

where have u been for 40 years?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 2:05 pm

What really pisses me orff is the fact that it's countries like this that really need a big brother to help them out. But, with nothing of real interest the US won't do anything. Course if it did, then that would give the whole world fodder for more US bashing wouldn't it. So I guess the Military Junta can keep Aung San Su Kyi under arrest for 15 more years and the military can continue it's human rights abuses and the country can remain in the 1950's forever. Those countries that could do something are damned if they do and damned if they don't. The other can just give lip service.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 2:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:and the military can continue it's human rights abuses and the country can remain in the 1950's forever.

They would be happy with 1950's they were much better off then before the military destroyed the economy and the will of the people.

I pretty much agree with what you say though, It's the people in countries like Burma and Zimbabwe that really need the help to overthrow the regimes that have taken control and continue to rape the country - One would hope that the UN will one day get the authority and the will to act, instead of being an idiotic discussion forum for politicians bent on ensuring nothing happens

BearHug
Regular
Regular

Petition??

Postby BearHug » Fri, 28 Sep 2007 3:31 pm

I feel sorry for the people of Myanmar. Nobody deserve to be shot at for protesting peacefully.

Know of any petition of protest that we can be part of ?? I think individual email will probably end up in the rubbish bin unread.
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 12:40 am

If you are on Facebook you can join the "Support the Monks' protest in Burma" group. 108,657 members and counting.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 6:30 am

rhino wrote:If you are on Facebook you can join the "Support the Monks' protest in Burma" group. 108,657 members and counting.

Exactly how does it support the monks?

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 8:43 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Exactly how does it support the monks?

It doesn't, Bearhug asked for a petition or protest, and that's all this is.

Your actions not making a direct impact on the situation is no reason for you to not express how you feel about it.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:01 am

It is truly awful what is happening in Burma but sanctions are only going to work if they attack where the Junta gets its money from; timber, gems and so on.

I hope the people will stay brave.

MobyDog

Re: Protest against the Myanmar Govt

Postby MobyDog » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 5:47 pm

inkjetprinter wrote:After watching the Myanmar junta beating up and killing the protestors in Myanmar. And we are sitting here in Singapore not being able to do a damn thing, I decide to write in to protest against the Myanmar government.

Actually, I see it often enough in european countries, south korea doing the same.. and protestors do get killed there as well. What exactly peaceful means.. because the media says it is ? The protest started off peacefully, but the gathering momentum threatens the junta regime. Saying stuff like sanction is ridiculous.. it only adds more hardship for the myanmars. Now the even the monks (most are part timers) are waving sticks and burning vehicles.. some protestor sare sing cataplults.. is that peaceful. Hell, if I'm the police being pelted with stone projectile long enough and seeing my colleagues injured and facing numbers ten times my unit.. hell., I might just shoot.

The Junta's are initially being criticised for using tear gas, batons and rubber bullets.. something very commonly employed in every country... and don't tell me live rounds wasn't used as well. The media is very bias.

I'm not a Junta supporter.. but what would any country response be ?

Myanmar is not a homogenous country... if the junta falls who will fill the viod.. it will make Iraq situation looks like childs play. They are 8 enthnic dividion in Myanmar.. all hating eath other, and have their own little kindom and states under arms.. just look at the state of Shan and WA.. bigger than malaysia. If civil war ensue.. will the people like Iraq say.. "life is better under Saddam".. Western country are just calling for democracy.. but does not take time to understand Myanmar. What's democracy .. if your country is in turmiol and violence for decades. In any case, even if Suu kyi head of the new govt.. they are only in control of Yangon and some coastal states.. like the Green zone in Iraq.. but in Jungle environment.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 6:02 pm

Duh.... This is like playing a game of football and looking for the ball to play instead of the player, but there is no ball to play.

Mobydog, I am not the kind of guy that would call names instead of reasoning with arguments, but in your case:

You are a complete and utter moron.

I am not sure which part of your brain is causing this, but you need serious surgery.

To say the protests are out of line and you can imagine you as a member of the junta would shoot at people is about the ugliest and stupidest I have ever heard so much.

Imagine you would have been living under dictatorship for more than 45 years (although with this kind of reaction, I guess your age is probably far less than that amount).

Not sure whether you're a local (just guessing from your spelling and grammar), but man, you have no idea what it is to live in one of the most oppressive regimes in the entire world.

If it is true as you say and you have been exposed to the outside world as in Europe and alike, I would have guessed and hoped this would have given you a bit more of sense of reality, but alas.

All I am thinking of now: what goes around comes around.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

MobyDog

Postby MobyDog » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:47 pm

Superglide wrote:Duh.... This is like playing a game of football and looking for the ball to play instead of the player, but there is no ball to play.

Mobydog, I am not the kind of guy that would call names instead of reasoning with arguments, but in your case:

You are a complete and utter moron.
Why ? The situation there could well turn into a civil war.. with many armed players. There are 8 distinct ethnic groups.. and hundreds of other ethnic grouping. All dislike one another.

I am not sure which part of your brain is causing this, but you need serious surgery.

To say the protests are out of line and you can imagine you as a member of the junta would shoot at people is about the ugliest and stupidest I have ever heard so much.

Imagine you would have been living under dictatorship for more than 45 years (although with this kind of reaction, I guess your age is probably far less than that amount).
I'm not saying they are out off line per se... they have the right to protest. But protest has a limit, they protesting against fuel heights.. but now it seems to be about regime change. Will the Junta capable to retaining the subsidise rate.. at present oil prices ? Not really... then what ? Junta being as what they are.. will likely to use force to retain their survival... if the fall. So who will fill the void ?

Not sure whether you're a local (just guessing from your spelling and grammar), but man, you have no idea what it is to live in one of the most oppressive regimes in the entire world.
Well, Iraq was also said to be oppressive.. are they living a life comparable to what the have now ?

If it is true as you say and you have been exposed to the outside world as in Europe and alike, I would have guessed and hoped this would have given you a bit more of sense of reality, but alas.

All I am thinking of now: what goes around comes around.
What ? Tear gas, baton and force to disperse crowds are not common practice. Firearms were never used.. protestor never died in any one of it?

Look, what I'm saying is... one must understand the Myanmar's internal politics and demography. Are they prepared for democracy ? How to structure their democracy constitution, if they are so divided ? Every ethnic group will vote for their own ethnic leader. Who will fill the void ? Do they need to strong man to head the country ? Will there be a civil War ?

This are question that needs to be answered.. what the use of democracy, if your country is turmoil...

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 29 Sep 2007 11:44 pm

Mobydog,
Don't know if you have noticed or not; the country is already in turmoil which may result in civil war anyway. You asked who will fill the void? Easy answer Aung Sang Suu Ky and her party. Under a democracy she would have assumed office which was the wish of the people.