Singapore Expats Forum

Read any good books lately?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

FannyAdams

Read any good books lately?

Postby FannyAdams » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 4:02 pm

Are there any readers in the forum? If so, can you recommend any good books you've read recently?

I'm looking for something fairly light but intelligently written, for lounging-by-the-pool type reading.

I know we all have different tastes but I thought it might be nice to have a book thread. We'll see. I'd be very interested to hear some personal opinions on any type of book.

A book I particularly enjoyed recently was Haddon's Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - thought it had huge potential for being incredibly cringe-worthy and uncomfortable but it was surprisingly humorous and engaging. Feel free to slam me for that opinion :)

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 6:54 pm

I've just finished reading The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham. It was also made into a move recently, but I have not seen it yet.

The book is a very delicate story about a woman, Kitty, in China but it is not the typical China Woman book that we have seen so many of in the last few years.

I would recommend it, but maybe more for women.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 8:07 pm

A book thread is a great idea FannyA! And Mark Haddon's book was excellent. He has a new one out too but I can't remember the title.

I think I watched The Painted Veil - Kitty's husband was a scientist / doctor who decided to take her into the Chinese countryside where there was a cholera outbreak right? It was a good movie, very poignant.

Now I'm reading Jung's autobiography which is rather heavy going but fascinating if you take the effort to plough through it.

For poolside reading I recommend anything by Mitch Albom - Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet In Heaven, For One More Day. They are unashamedly sentimental, easy to read, and make some profound observations about life in a not very profound way.

Right now I'm into autobiographies. Anyone have something good to recommend?

rhino
Regular
Regular

Postby rhino » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 9:33 pm

cutiebutie wrote:I've just finished reading The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham. It was also made into a move recently, but I have not seen it yet.

The book is a very delicate story about a woman, Kitty, in China but it is not the typical China Woman book that we have seen so many of in the last few years.

I would recommend it, but maybe more for women.

Slighty OT, I saw Painted Veil on a domestic Qantas flight in Australia. It was 6am flight from Melbourne to Perth, and despite the fact I was half asleep, I was totally engrossed. I highly recommend it!

FannyAdams, I dunno if you like "Trash Fiction" but I read Air Babylon on a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok - it was a really great read, very amusing, even if it was a little far fetched.

FannyAdams

Postby FannyAdams » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:37 pm

Hey Rhino! - what was Air Babylon about?

Wotcha Wind in my Hair! - I struggled with Haddon's Spot of Bother (I think that's the one you're referring to). After his first book, I was expecting something a little more endearing. I didn't get very far with it - it seems to be written so shallowly...lots of unappealing characters thrown at the reader. It was very difficult for me and my malfunctioning brain to keep up with who was who and so I gave up (life's too short). Mitch Albom's stuff looks a little religious to me...am I completely wrong? If I am, I may take up your recommendation. Thanks! :)

I'll check out Painted Veil too. I'd quite like to read a book a week...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 1:37 pm

FannyAdams wrote:Mitch Albom's stuff looks a little religious to me...am I completely wrong? If I am, I may take up your recommendation. Thanks! :)

I'll check out Painted Veil too. I'd quite like to read a book a week...

Nah, not religious. Sentimental and mushy though so if that's ok with you, go ahead. Read one and decide if you want to read the rest. Tuesdays with Morrie is certainly a must-read.

A book a week was my resolution this year too and so far I'm keeping up. Jung's autobiography is setting me back though... have to read some parts several times to understand what he's saying and even then I'm sure I'm missing 80% of the point. Very "deep".

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 1:41 pm

Paul Theroux, The Happy Islands.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

zjules
Regular
Regular

Postby zjules » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 2:12 pm

Yeah, 'A spot of bother' was a little harder to get into, and not as good as the curious dog, but enjoyed it all the same.
If you fancy, try the Neil Humphreys books. Some pretty funny comments on an englishman living in Singapore. Also, the last one talks about loads of interesting places in Sing that he visits that ive never even heard of..
If you like food/travel books, try the Anthony Bourdain 'Nasty Bits'. Talks of lots of experiences around asia eating strange things, including some in Sing... pretty funny and entertaining

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 3:41 pm

Superglide wrote:Paul Theroux, The Happy Islands.

I have read it as well and found it to be too critical of everything that is not 'native'.
His style is very good but the travel report is overshadowed by being negative.

A very long book too but that keeps you reading.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 4:15 pm

It's his typical style, Paul Theroux is often been quoted as being quite a critical, if not negative author.

I found it a very refreshing look on the South pacific, often romanticized, but not by Theroux...
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.

Pablo Picasso

BearHug
Regular
Regular

Lee Childs

Postby BearHug » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 5:25 pm

Hi fanny,

Try those Jack Reacher novels, authored by Lee Childs. In my opinion. they are hard to put down. Reacher is a refreshing main character in such novel. Remind me of Harry Bosch in Michael Connelly novels.

See http://www.michaelconnelly.com/
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 6:38 pm

My favourite book of his is the Mosquito Coast, I alos very much liked the film.

This was not as negative, it was more realism.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

shelfari

Postby prkravi » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 8:18 pm

Check this out,
www.shelfari.com
Its a good way to share with people what you are reading and discuss about your book too.

Arizona

Postby Arizona » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:12 pm

Was out in a bookshop ( hmm :? ) and the book Five People You Meet in Heaven caught my eye.

Thoughts of hustlers outside the Pearly Gates trying to pass this book off as a tourist guide to well,

unsuspecting souls, entered my head.

Then I realised that the only people you'll meet in Heaven
would most likely be happy ones.

So I went with something that would make me a happier person whilst spending my time here on Earth

and I picked up this old Daredevil comic.

Yea Daredevil may be fictitious but

it sure beats being a maintenance man, out at Ruby Pier amusement park.

TAJ
Regular
Regular

Postby TAJ » Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:17 am

Just finished The Memory Garden by Rachel Hore - couldn't put it down for days! Easy reading but great depth of character, give it a go!