Singapore Expats Forum

customer grievance cell

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

aryana

customer grievance cell

Postby aryana » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 2:00 am

i had a terrible experience in a 4th floor shop in the sim lim square.

i plan to write to the major newspapers voicing my experience.

besides i am also trying to find out if Singapore has a customer grievance cell or somewhere where people can lodge a complain if have been cheated by some shop and/or misbehaved badly with. there must be some government office in a country like Singapore to address such customer issues.

i would appreciate greatly if someone could let me know which are the right authorities to alert/approach.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 9:39 am

Small Claims Tribunal or Singapore Tourist Promotion Board. Otherwise, not too much I'm afraid. Unless you get hit (Police) or are taken for a ride (money - Small claims Tribunal) there's not much you can do about bad service except to don't use the place. It's not like you haven't been aware of the claims of shoppers before you. Either through this forum or others. I would say if you knew where to start this thread, you already know the reputation of that place.

I don't understand why people, even when they know the reputation for a place is bad, still have to go there. Then have the nerve to complain about it. Caveat Emptor.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 8:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't understand why people, even when they know the reputation for a place is bad, still have to go there. Then have the nerve to complain about it. Caveat Emptor.

Same here. I keep saying "go to Funan" but everyone seems to want the rock bottom prices yet won't accept the rock bottom service that goes with it. I also think that unless you're close to an expert you'll not be able to tell if what you're getting is the genuine thing.

aryana

Postby aryana » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:36 am

sorry, yes i should really have gone to funan.

but now that i have been duped, what am i to do but to report to the right authorities.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:08 am

aryana wrote:sorry, yes i should really have gone to funan.

but now that i have been duped, what am i to do but to report to the right authorities.

Reread my post.

BearHug
Regular
Regular

CASE

Postby BearHug » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 5:35 pm

Hi Aryana,

Try http://www.case.org.sg/

Consumers Association of Singapore
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

aryana

Postby aryana » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 7:37 pm

thanks very much bearhug.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 8:32 pm

The reason nobody mentioned CASE is that unless it can be talked out (which obviously had been tried by yourself already) after you pay them the administrative charges, you will eventually be referred to the Small Claims Tribunal for resolution. You would actually do better with your first suggestion by writing to the local media rag to complain (you'll still end up having to go the the SCT anyway though. Good Luck.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 8:35 pm

aryana,

There is one good thing about CASE though. It's called CaseTrust and if your business is certified by CASE and displays the CaseTrust Emblem you can be reasonably sure that the shop is above board.

aryana

Postby aryana » Wed, 26 Sep 2007 2:39 am

no my business has no such certification.

guess its small tribunals board for me then.