Why do drivers in Singapore want to run you over?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:16 am

DimWit Kid wrote:Plavt

Quote me where I seem to have problem with Malaysian motorcycle riders? Let's not talk out of spite here. I did say they have more sense of safety than the local ones when superglide said it was Malaysian ones who causes trouble.
Sorry, my mistake. :oops:

Come to think of it when we are talking of motor-cycles here what exactly are we talking about? I know that might seem a silly question on the face of it but in my home country they tend to be grouped. For example a motorbike of 50cc's or less is altogether banned from motorways. I cannot help but notice that the bigger the machine the more professional the rider. Although I cannot claim to have seen the same in Singapore I would imagine the situation to be much the same. I remember being in Malaysia and seeing a mass of riders leaving a factory on small machines (would it be these you are talking about?).

You and others mention poor driving standards and I for one would like to know why that is?
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 8:23 am

Superglide wrote:As long as Singapore will have floods of Malaysian motocyclist workers commuting between Singapore and JB, nothing will change. The government gere doesnot give a hoot about them, they are replacable when they die, as simple as that.
i have had the 'pleasure' of reverse commuting on the PIE/BKE for a few years. the motorcyclyes returning to malaysia on a friday afternoon, for example generally drive as if they are the only ones on the road, do no obey the rules, are reckless, rude and an endangerment to the rest of us. i know it is not just those going over the causeway that cause the problem, and that there are good and bad driver in cars and on bikes, but there is no denying the phenomenon the superglide describes. it is also said that a fatality involving a malaysian motorcyclist doesn't show up in singapore's statistics and that the number is shocking.

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Superglide » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 11:24 am

Plavt wrote:
DimWit Kid wrote:Plavt

Quote me where I seem to have problem with Malaysian motorcycle riders? Let's not talk out of spite here. I did say they have more sense of safety than the local ones when superglide said it was Malaysian ones who causes trouble.
Sorry, my mistake. :oops:

Come to think of it when we are talking of motor-cycles here what exactly are we talking about? I know that might seem a silly question on the face of it but in my home country they tend to be grouped. For example a motorbike of 50cc's or less is altogether banned from motorways. I cannot help but notice that the bigger the machine the more professional the rider. Although I cannot claim to have seen the same in Singapore I would imagine the situation to be much the same. I remember being in Malaysia and seeing a mass of riders leaving a factory on small machines (would it be these you are talking about?).

You and others mention poor driving standards and I for one would like to know why that is?
Malaysian workers commute from JB on a daily basis, tens of thousands ride their small bikes (Honda dream and alike) across the bridge into Singapore.

They have no skills other than squeezing in between cars and other bikes, not using any signals, at speeds of 90 km/hr and above. Their riding is complete and utter madness, but like roadnottaken also says: they are of no importance to Singapore government, other than cheap, replacable labour.

I agree with you Plavt, in general the skills of bigger bike motocyclists is far better than those on these small bikes.

What made me think, is the fact that back in Malaysia, these idiots do stick to the side lane on the extreme left, where they overtake only each other and do not squeeze in between the cars and big bikes on the "normal" lanes on the expressways.

So in a way, it might indeed be an idea to have them do the same here, stick to the extreme left lane. Let them kill themselves and each other only.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:14 pm

In the extreme left lanes they would all be squished flat by the constant flow of vans/trucks etc that fill the two left lanes here on the PIE/AYE etc most days, who also don't use indicators or mirrors and don't drive at their own supposed speed limits either.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

DimWit Kid
Chatter
Chatter

Post by DimWit Kid » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:41 pm

Superglide wrote:I agree with you Plavt, in general the skills of bigger bike motocyclists is far better than those on these small bikes.
Well, yes indeed. I do not see many large bike rider doing dangerous maneouvers or went along on the extreme right lane for other than overtaking (except one last week that I had some altercation since he kept to the right lane while chatting away with the gal he was riding with).

As I said, I seldom use BKE, I use PIE sometimes but mainly stick to AYE and ECP, so the (small) motorbikers with deathwish that I saw are Singaporeans.
What made me think, is the fact that back in Malaysia, these idiots do stick to the side lane on the extreme left, where they overtake only each other and do not squeeze in between the cars and big bikes on the "normal" lanes on the expressways.

So in a way, it might indeed be an idea to have them do the same here, stick to the extreme left lane. Let them kill themselves and each other only.
As I said, that would make the road generally safer for them and for others. Since everything is regulated in this country, why don't make it compulsory for them now?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Oct 2007 10:03 pm

I say, let 'em ride where they want and if they are 400cc bikes or smaller then place a bounty on 'em so the cage drivers can get sport here! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers