Singapore Expats Forum

Good mooncake

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:41 pm

huggybear wrote:but if you want to buy me moon cakes, pls buy me the haagan daaz ice cream filled ones thanks.
:cool:

That is ice-cream, not moon-cake! :lol:

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Man that's harsh. Real harsh! :o

Have to admit, I can't eat redbean mooncakes but I'm a sucker for quad-egg yoke & lotus paste ones with traditional covers (don't like the spongy which/green funny ones). Had some nice ones today but don't know where they came from. Had a new variety that looked like a eggy one but it was a yellow custard in the centre. Different.

Goodwood Park is supposed to have good ones.

I also heard that Goodwood Park has some good mooncake. Their prices however are pretty high too. I don't know much about the modern mooncake but I do remember enjoying the traditional ones as a kid.

Passed by Takashimaya yesterday and the basement courtyard is full of different hotels/restaurants representations trying to off-load mooncake. Might actually go down and have a look. :D

New SAHM

Postby New SAHM » Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:58 pm

I'm not sure if Caucasians would like the traditional ones, my husband certainly doesn't and even I (Singaporean Chinese) find them rather too heavy. However, we love the snowskin ones from Raffles the Plaza (Szechuan Court). The flavours are bailey's, champagne truffle, rum and raisin and lychee cream. (These come in a chocolate shell... which replaces the egg yolk) We were sorry to have missed out on them last year! Oh, and they come in a lovely box too!

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:30 pm

Can this discussion on dry dough be locked please?

There's culture and there's... uhmm... "mooncakes".

Sheesh!
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:27 am

Not sure about your problem Superglide, but some of us like mooncakes and the discussion...don't like 'em don't bother commenting, easy! :wink:

Back on topic I love the original ones, but only one, they are SO bad for you! Then again I was given some of those lovely ones with the champagne truffle and they were delish...
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 8:14 pm

Good on you micknlea!

I've put on 2 kg already during the mooncake season. :oops:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:18 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Good on you micknlea!

I'm probably not too far behind (well actually I've got rather a lot of behind!) :(

At least I can still walk, learned the hard way about redbean mooncakes and gout a long time ago! I stick with the lotus & egg yoke ones with the occasional fancy that doesn't really turn my crank.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:21 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Good on you micknlea!

Let's hope it was only the mooncakes. :P

I'll get my coat. :lol:

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 9:45 am

The new diet going well then, sms? :P

For traditional, the lotus paste Shangri-La ones I was given are really nice.

For modern, as a couple of people have said, Raffles Hotel champagne truffle snowskin are scrumptious. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:14 am

Thought I'd put that off for a week or so as still doing research there. Want to see the results of a certain match race and how long it takes someone to re-lose the 5 kg regained in London last week. (we know who i am talking about) :wink:

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 1:22 pm

I apologise profusely in advance for this tongue in cheek question, but I could not resist:

Good mooncakes, is that not an oxymoron?

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Postby HunBunny80 » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:02 pm

micknlea wrote:Not sure about your problem Superglide, but some of us like mooncakes and the discussion...don't like 'em don't bother commenting, easy! :wink:

Back on topic I love the original ones, but only one, they are SO bad for you! Then again I was given some of those lovely ones with the champagne truffle and they were delish...

Well, I bought some white lotus paste with egg yorks from Ritz Carlton because they are light and not very sweet. My husband who doesn't usually like mooncakes find them rather nice. He thinks they taste like mazipans.

I also bought some durian mooncakes for my parents. I have to say the ones from Takashimaya - Four Season durians are really nice. Poor husband had to put up with the smell when my parents came over for tea. :mrgreen:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:43 pm

sillingw wrote:I apologise profusely in advance for this tongue in cheek question, but I could not resist:

Good mooncakes, is that not an oxymoron?

No more than good haggis is. :P