Singapore Expats Forum

Asking a simple question...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Jabbda

Asking a simple question...

Postby Jabbda » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 1:57 am

I would like to ask a simple question. I am a foreigner and currently a Singaporean PR.

Question:
If I go overseas and work for 6 months and forgotten to pay my credit card bills, what will happend to me?
- Will I be black listed from all the Singapore banks?
- Will I be labelled as bankcrupt in Singapore?
- Will my Singapore PR status be affected?
- Will I go to Jail when I return to Singapore?

This is just for curiosity sake :roll:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 2:20 am

I don't know how you can forget to pay your credit card bills? :shock:
Your post to me seems you are trying to dodge paying, whether you are or not your creditors will assume just that if they see no payments coming and will take the appropriate measures to recover their losses. That may involve entering your home in your absense and seizing goods assuming you have a permanent address in Singapore.

I will let a local fill you in with more details as I am not sure exactly how such companies work in Singapore.

Jabbda

Postby Jabbda » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 2:26 am

Plavt wrote:I don't know how you can forget to pay your credit card bills? :shock:
Your post to me seems you are trying to dodge paying, whether you are or not your creditors will assume just that if they see no payments coming and will take the appropriate measures to recover their losses. That may involve entering your home in your absense and seizing goods assuming you have a permanent address in Singapore.

I will let a local fill you in with more details as I am not sure exactly how such companies work in Singapore.

Do you think I will have problem returning to Singapore i.e. what will my happend to my PR?

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:35 am

Yes to all the questions.

Although having a credit card is an agreement between you and the issueing bank they will track you through your PR status with the IRA this could lead to arrest ( if the bank get the authorities to issue a warrant)

Your best bet is to go to the bank and talk to the manager re your situation. If you agree to acceptable repayment terms ( proof of your job overseas etc) you could avoid a whole financial mess.

Good luck

Jabbda

Postby Jabbda » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:08 am

bigfilsing wrote:Yes to all the questions.

Although having a credit card is an agreement between you and the issueing bank they will track you through your PR status with the IRA this could lead to arrest ( if the bank get the authorities to issue a warrant)

Your best bet is to go to the bank and talk to the manager re your situation. If you agree to acceptable repayment terms ( proof of your job overseas etc) you could avoid a whole financial mess.

Good luck

Why would they arrest me, I am not doing any criminal activity? Do you also mean that they will also arrest me if I am overseas?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 1:05 pm

Jabbda, sounds like you are already in trouble or planning to get into some. Yes, you can be arrested once you step into Singapore if it's serious. Many people are jailed for non-criminal offences if they can't afford bail, and it's often for defaulting on debts. If it was a genuine oversight I suggest you call the banks and the immigration authorities to ask what you can do to rectify the situation.