Singapore Expats Forum

A nice place without the sleaze

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

A nice place without the sleaze

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:50 am

I am finding it difficult to find nice places to go where guys don't always hit on me and think that cause I am there alone that I am free game.

I don't hav many old frens here because I grew up mostly overseas, but I don't mind being alone and listening to good music - I miss nice jazz bars, do we have anything like that here?

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:35 pm

I've heard about The Saxophone at Cuppage Terrace, but do not know from experience...

And then there's this bar with nice live music at Tanglin Shopping center, but I forgot the name...
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:01 pm

No name?

No experience?

No answer . . . (just kidding)

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:08 pm

I am lousy, I know! :cry:

Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:13 pm

Regent Hotel, 3rd level ( I think, or 2nd). Smallish, library-looking place with huge black leather sofas. Great live jazz though I'm not sure if it's everyday or just some days. Call the hotel and ask.

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Re: A nice place without the sleaze

Postby CAT777 » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:15 pm

cutiebutie wrote:I am finding it difficult to find nice places to go where guys don't always hit on me and think that cause I am there alone that I am free game.

I don't hav many old frens here because I grew up mostly overseas, but I don't mind being alone and listening to good music - I miss nice jazz bars, do we have anything like that here?

There is a nice place Bellini room in St Power Station: awersome singers, very relaxing environment...you can sit back and sip yr martini...and it's not so crowded, esp on Saturday.

A bit off topic but it's just my view
When i first came to Singapore i found that most of locals tend to form a group to go out for drinks or just to eat out...they feel very constained and reserved when they are alone and alw need to be accompanied to enjoy what they do...but you can see many foreigners coming alone to the bars , pubs, coffee shops, cinema etc..there is nothing weird in it

Do not worry what guys can think of you... go ahead and enjoy it...
i do really respect the girls who dare enough to do things on their own
Сингапурский котенок

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:27 pm

Superglide, you are not lousy. This world we live in is communal in nature. As such, we got to bahave and act in a certain way to fit in and not ruffle any feathers. Many a times I feel like the odd one out but that doesn't make me feel lousy about myself. I am just different from most people, in the way I think and act.

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 2:26 pm

Superglide wrote:I am lousy, I know! :cry:

:lol: No you are not!

earthfriendly, I think superglide was making fun and wanted us to scratch behind his ears and say aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 2:40 pm

Boy oh boy! It didn't take you long to figure him out! :lol:

Sorry SG! :P

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 2:42 pm

I'll get my coat! :lol:

Pablo Picasso

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 5:32 pm

Cutiebutie! I dont know you and I will apologise in advance for what I am about to do...... Basically ROFL!!!! :-) :P

Now that it is out of the system, I would think your request for a place where you wont be hit on! Well, I know this little bar on a planet called Haktil which is basically a all female inhabitants. :-)

But seriously, it would be hard for a guy to walk into a bar and see a lonesome woman and wonder why she is alone. I will tell you. Men's heads are wired from "top to bottom" without any breaks in between (if you get my drift). :lol: So upon the said circumstance there are only two options presented in our mind "she is available (I am avoiding the "H" word out of respect to you) or she is gay". So guess what? Men will come up to you to chat you up, pick you up, and all sundry activities. Single guys going to bar is termed as "He is a having a good time". Single girl walking into a bar is ... well, you know where I going this this.

Let me not totally dampen your spirits here. Yes to nice Jazz bars, clubs etc. And yes, nice people too. But you must take into account the natural curiosity of spotting a single girl at a bar and the automatic reaction of guys to wonder. Finally, only one will gather up the guts to walk up and chat you up. Or he will pretend to get a drink at the bar and start talking. You can take the high road and tell him to piss off. Or you can say "No habla Engles?" And hope that he does not spanish. :wink: :wink:

I would think if you dont have old friends, find new friends. That I can state quite strongly is something that you would be able to make. This forum is one such gathering place. WNDC, FNCD, etc are events where you can meet. Find a clique that meets your vibe and viola! you have a nice little circle which will allow you to avoid the solo situation. And you can indulge in a "Me moment" whenever you feel knowing you are not exactly solo.

In closing, Welcome to Singapore! And dont let guys hitting on you bug you too much. You have the power to destroy by saying "No Habla Engles"

Cheers!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 7:14 pm

guruvishwanath wrote:And dont let guys hitting on you bug you too much. You have the power to destroy by saying "No Habla Engles"

Tenga cuidado! En Singapur hay gente que habla espanol :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:11 pm

Man,

A Finish guy talking Spanish to an Indian guy in Singapore.

I changed my mind tonite: A truly kosmopolitan city it is here! :lol:

Pablo Picasso

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: A nice place without the sleaze

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:04 am

CAT777 wrote:
cutiebutie wrote:I am finding it difficult to find nice places to go where guys don't always hit on me and think that cause I am there alone that I am free game.

When i first came to Singapore i found that most of locals tend to form a group to go out for drinks or just to eat out...they feel very constained and reserved when they are alone and alw need to be accompanied to enjoy what they do...but you can see many foreigners coming alone to the bars , pubs, coffee shops, cinema etc..there is nothing weird in it

I know what you mean, Cat. I love eating alone with a good book, and often sit in a cafe all day long drinking coffee and reading. Sometimes I catch a movie on a whim (easier to get good seats when all you need is one, by the way). When I tell some of my friends they give me pitying looks. I could never understand it, as to me it's a luxury to have so much me-time.

But I don't get approached by guys all the time. I guess my bootie is not as cutie as cutiebutie's! :lol:

cutiebutie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby cutiebutie » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:08 am

I am aware of what it looks like when a woman sits by herself and I do not get upset by guys approaching me. I find it tedious.

When I was studying/living in Switzerland I could go to little cafes and music places in peace (usually) and my first job was in Lyon. The French are a bit more pushy, especially because I am Asian and looked different.

Wind In My Hair, we could compare booties one day :lol:

(I also notice that I have to write more correctly here, good practice)