Singapore Expats Forum

Air con foul odors

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

air con

Postby ffsgrelier » Mon, 01 Oct 2007 9:45 am

Hi again. Sorry i had left a certain amount of time before i replied last so am not sure if anyone has any more thoughts or ideas on my aircon ongoing problem. Just getting pretty frustrated byt it now.
Thanks.

Strong Eagle

Re: air con

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:06 am

ffsgrelier wrote:Hi again. Sorry i had left a certain amount of time before i replied last so am not sure if anyone has any more thoughts or ideas on my aircon ongoing problem. Just getting pretty frustrated byt it now.
Thanks.

Have you tried any of the ideas presented?

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

air con

Postby ffsgrelier » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 7:12 pm

afraid so. i do take on board what other people say ( thought it was the shole idea of this forum). Lysol didn't work, it is a wall unit so no pump. Air con technician now recommends chemical clean but is charging another arm and leg without guaranteing any result. Am at a loss, h even advised me to change the baby's diaper in another room blaming it on the powder used for nappy changing ... except i only use baby lotion and no powder. Had to move into the spare room the other night with baby as unbearable smell.
Please anyone , any more suggestions ?
Thanks

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Oct 2007 8:18 pm

Do you have a dead lizard or other small animal somewhere in it?

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

air con

Postby ffsgrelier » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 1:17 pm

couldn't say. they have been looking with torch and all inside but would they see it ? problem also is that the smell comes and goes and i assume a dead lizard would be smelt by the echnician when he is near the unit so doubt it. Will mention i to them though. Thanks.

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 04 Oct 2007 1:40 pm

is it a cheesy sort of smell??
I have worked on different types of small units during my time offshore and it has been my experience that when they start to smell like this...then they are due to be cleaned, thoroughly.
Once cleaned thoroughly I have found this cures the problem and I think it is down to the drain/filters/condensor maybe being dirty? I dont know exactly, but once cleaned all was good.

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:02 pm

The Powder used while changing a diaper?????? :???: The is almost as silly as this story.

Months ago I was in India and I odered Tandori chicken. When I got my order the chicken was sitting in a small pool of blood at the bottom of the plate.
I cut the chicken open and the meat towards the joint was RAW.

When I said I woudl not eat this because of the blood and the rawness I was told that that was not blood. I said oh yeah it is and then they said that that is not possible because chicken was white meat so there is no blood.

Do you rent the unit you are in? Have you told the owners of your problem.

Just another thought.

If your drain tube should be trickling water into a drain. That tube could also have a dead animal in it and with the correct wind direction the air can flow up the tube into your Air Con.

Check the area around the drain tube where it drains when the smell occurs. If you smell the smell strong there then you are one step closer to your solution.

The smell may be coming from the unit below you.

I live in the penthouse in our condo and once in a while in the evening I can smell things from the unit below us in our mater bedroom. It has to be the unit below us because there is nobody next to our master bedroom.

When you smell the smell again run down to the unit below you are the unit next to you and stick your nose under their door.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 2:27 pm

one843 wrote:When you smell the smell again run down to the unit below you are the unit next to you and stick your nose under their door.

:???: :shock:

u're funny ....
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 2:38 pm

You may think that it is funny but I have done it before.

Not for smells but I wanted to know once if anyone was living before me.

It is pretty funny when I think about seeing someone doing it.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 2:49 pm

one843 wrote:You may think that it is funny but I have done it before.

dun misunderstand me.. i don mean any offence... but i couldn't help giggling when i imagine the real scenario.. and then begin to think what will happen when the neighbour comes back at the right moment...

u wanted to know of anyone was living before u?? ask the landlord if ur place was rented, or buyer if u bought it...

did u mean "below"?? :lol: :P
To you, he's a dog...

To me, he's everything...

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 7:46 pm

mayamomi wrote:
one843 wrote:You may think that it is funny but I have done it before.

dun misunderstand me.. i don mean any offence... but i couldn't help giggling when i imagine the real scenario.. and then begin to think what will happen when the neighbour comes back at the right moment...

u wanted to know of anyone was living before u?? ask the landlord if ur place was rented, or buyer if u bought it...

did u mean "below"?? :lol: :P

No offence meant to one843 but I also thought it would be a bit funny if the neighbor goes out and see someone sniffing near the door. :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 8:32 pm

one843 does have a point, when on Kings Cross underground station one can smell the cooking from the fast food outlet which is a ground level (.i.e. above). This is because although smells rise the odour gets into the air vents of the underground and circulates making it even more unpleasant than it already is.